Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to get your currency changed for best rates and fees? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by GuyverII
MY last consulting job just sent me a check in GBP. I am in the USA at present. Any suggestions on where to cash this? I would like dollars.
Check? I guess you have no choice to deposit it with your bank (where you have an account) and pay whatever commission/fee they charge. If you have accounts at several banks, you could ask around what those fees would be.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Here's one for you:

MY last consulting job just sent me a check in GBP. I am in the USA at present. Any suggestions on where to cash this? I would like dollars.
Do you have (or can you open) an account at a UK bank and deposit the check (cheque?) by mail?

I used to bank with a bank in Southern California and would deposit checks by mail while away.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, HHonors Gold
Here's one for you:

Just a bit FYI, All checks & ACH(ex. Direct Deposit) drawn in USD are routed through the Federal Reserve (US Central Bank) unless its interbank So it makes sense at they would do foreign also and they do but...

Your local banks can do it, but is a long process. The Fed has page for it for them. Last time I heard, 2 months.

http://www.frbservices.org/operation...eck_guide.html
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Send the check back to UK with a message to wire the funds to your account in US Dollars and have them pay all associated fees. They will need the routing number and account number and your banks "Swift" code if they have one for inbound international wires. It will take about 1 week but you will habe all of your cash and no exchange fees.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: BA, EI & VS
Well for Telegraphic Transfers or what you call "Wire Transfers", there are fees involved for sending for the sender and for receiving for the recipient, the latter will depend how much the reciving bank will take as "processing fee", ring them up for more details. Also the UK bank will tell the sender what the exchange rate will be on that day for that particular transaction.

Alongside the swift code, routing and account number, ensure you have the full address for the local branch of the bank too. That way, when your bank HQ receives the money they will know where to forward your money on, in case the electronic system happens to be down.

It will take about 2 days for the money to leave the UK then further 5-8 working days for the money to be credited into your deposit account, again depending how quickly the recieving bank processes the transfer.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I wire funds to Asia regularly, and the funds are delivered in 1-2 business days. Why would it take over 1 week from UK-US?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA, EI & VS
Most UK banks have to use a "clearing bank" for transmission which takes a day or so, then are screened for anti-terrorism and anti-money laundering purposes. That's why it takes so long, British banks are very thorough and very strict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.