Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would You Ask Someone For Their Paper?

Old Feb 13, 08, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Many years back my secret vice used to the the Enquirer, Star, and Weekly World News. I'm talking the days when all three were into Elvis sightings and aliens, not celebrity gossip like nowadays. I'd board my flights with my passel of sleeze-papers, and more than once a fellow passenger actually asked me for them when I was done (which I presume they figured out from watching me read through, then stick it in the seatback pocket). I didn't mind and have always happily handed them over, but it surprised me that someone would ask a stranger. It even seems odd that they would watch closely enough to see when I am done. I don't think I'd be comfortable asking unless the other person was obviously preparing to discard the item. So would you ask someone for their paper (newspaper, not just ragsheets)? Has anyone ever asked you? Or do I just look like an "inviting" person?

Of course, I also had a teenager flying with a school sports team walk up to my luggage pile, sift through, and take my paper OUT of my bag, but that's another story. I had my back turned but fortunately caught sight of him and I'm sure he still has scars from red hot scatching words that flew from my lips to his ears as I snatched my property back.
Old Feb 13, 08, 4:57 pm

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
I might ask, but I'd say something like "If you are done with that, could I please borrow it?" If they don't want it back, they can say "Sure, keep it, I'm done", and if they don't explicitly say they don't want it back, then I'd give it back when I'm done.

I've had people ask me, and I'm happy to oblige. I've had people look at my stack of magazines and ask, and I've had to explicitly say "You're welcome to read it, but I need it back since I haven't read it yet".

I usually drop the stack of what I read on a seat or table or in the club as I get off the plane in the spirit of reuse beats recycling.
Old Feb 13, 08, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
I have no problem asking or letting some take my paper when I am done. Most of the time they are the papers from the hotel anyway, so I wasnt planning on keeping it.
Old Feb 13, 08, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I found thread interesting -

I am one of those flyers who plops my tush in the seat, nods hello at my seatmate, and rarely speaks for the remainder of the flight. (unlike MR. Sophie who will practically talk to the arm rest).

Why I find this interesting is that I WILL ask someone for a paper if it is clear they are done with it - (actually, that is my phrase - "If you are done with your paper........) and it never occurred to me that some might find it inappropriate. I have also been asked for MY paper, and am more than happy to oblige. (in fact they can have the sports page before I even unfold the thing ) On the other hand, I recently did it in front of MR. Sophie, who was mortified. Go figure.

I have never asked to borrow a magazine - I guess I do not think of them as being "immediately disposable" like a newspaper.
Old Feb 13, 08, 6:34 pm

I would ask.

I have also offered magazines and papers to seatmates.
Old Feb 13, 08, 7:16 pm

I rarely talk to seat mates, but I will ask if they mind if I read their paper when they are done. For the most part, people just leave them behind on the plane anyway.
Old Feb 13, 08, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Wow, it's more common than I ever imagined! I've never minded being asked as I too am a big believer in sharing/reusing whenever possible, but for some reason it never occurred to me to ask someone else. Of course, it may just be that I've never seen someone reading something that struck my fancy because I'm usually well supplied with my own material.
Old Feb 13, 08, 8:32 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by sophiegirl View Post
I found thread interesting -

I am one of those flyers who plops my tush in the seat, nods hello at my seatmate, and rarely speaks for the remainder of the flight. (unlike MR. Sophie who will practically talk to the arm rest).

Why I find this interesting is that I WILL ask someone for a paper if it is clear they are done with it - (actually, that is my phrase - "If you are done with your paper........) and it never occurred to me that some might find it inappropriate. I have also been asked for MY paper, and am more than happy to oblige. (in fact they can have the sports page before I even unfold the thing ) On the other hand, I recently did it in front of MR. Sophie, who was mortified. Go figure.

I have never asked to borrow a magazine - I guess I do not think of them as being "immediately disposable" like a newspaper.
This is me exactly. Rarely talk to the seat mate, but not shy in asking for a paper that another pax is done with, and I get asked for papers all the time. Never cross my mind that it was out of the norm for such a disposable item.
Old Feb 13, 08, 9:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Cool

Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post
TNever cross my mind that it was out of the norm for such a disposable item.
That's exactly what a newspaper is, and that's why it's such a normal thing to ask for it when someone's done with it. It's useful ephemera, and I happily share my paper (and sections I don't bother reading anyway) with my cabin mates.

I mostly just read the business and technology sections, but on a long flight I'll plow through all the bad news in Section A.
Old Feb 13, 08, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
yes I've asked and also been an askee, many times
Old Feb 13, 08, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
I always offer my paper and or magazine to anyone around once I am done with it. I think it shows good taste and maners, as well as it is a mild form of recycling.

In addition, it can be a good conversation starter.. since I love to chat, but notice that most people would rather sit in peace and quiet for the flight.
Old Feb 13, 08, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never bothered asking some stranger passenger for their paper. On the other side of the coin, I've given it to fellow pax who have asked for them.
Old Feb 13, 08, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I don't think I would ask someone for their paper. I guess I'm too shy to do that. Besides, I generally have a paper from the hotel on me, so I wouldn't need to ask.
Old Feb 13, 08, 10:39 pm

I usually bring enough reading material so I normally don't have to ask, but when I do ask, it's "if you're done with that..."

But when I've brought a newspaper and pulled the first section to read, people have sometimes asked me if they can look at the other sections. I don't mind if I've already read it, but let me have first crack please!
Old Feb 13, 08, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I've had many pax ask of me... I ask of them... seems normal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: