Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would You Ask Someone For Their Paper?

Would You Ask Someone For Their Paper?

Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Business as usual
Just a thought. (And the Weekly World News has already been traded into extinction. Batboy, we hardly knew ye.)
Yes, but alas it had died long before they pulled the plug. It went from a paper that would take weird-but-true stories and embellish on them to a paper of whole-cloth fantasy. That's when I stopped buying it, as it had become a parody of itself (if such a thing is possible).

They didn't even have to embellish on some of their early stories, as they were bizarre enough on their own. My favorite was about a woman who ate road kill; a DJ found and called her on the radio, and she calmly and logically explained to him that she was forced into doing it because a band of gypsies had taken over her home and forced her to live outdoors and scavenge for food. She was totally serious too.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:50 am

I wouldn't ask anyone for their paper (I normally sleep on the plane) but if I do happen to have one, I offer it to the passenger next to me when I finish with it.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Only if I wanted to read it.....

I suppose that you and I live in different worlds. In my view, asking for a seatmate's paper (when he/she is through) is such an inconsequntial and "normal" request as to be relatively meaningless, a trivial social interchange.

I'd normally volunteer to pass mine along without being asked, of no greater import than helping old ladies retrieve their satchels from the overhead bins. If you're so concerned that others may be searching for chinks in your armor of personal insularity, perhaps you should consider a solitary hermitage as an alternative to life on this densely populated orb (or at least avoiding airports and air travel).
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:46 pm

On a recent trip I had several magazines I was leafing through. Sitting in a window, aisle empty, mid 20s male pax in aisle. (Was reading news/business type magazines).

I placed one that I had read in the center seat, and proceeded to read a second.

I was quite shocked that the other pax reached over, took the magazine, and read it without asking me! He did put it back, but still, I thought that was pretty rude. Was it just me or was he out of line?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, UAL Premier Executive
I don't mind if a passenger asks to read the newspaper and will gladly pass it on as I finish it. I give my read magazines to the FA.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I purposely take mags from the biz lounge and leave them in the seat back....

...when i am done. However now that AC has seatback movies on alot of its planes its not such a big deal anymore. I would always ask someone if they were finished if I could borrow a paper...why not?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Absolutely. I offer my finished paper to a seatmate if they look bored. I also appreciate the offer of a paper for the (all too rare) times that I am bored.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Cosmos M
I always offer my paper and or magazine to anyone around once I am done with it. I think it shows good taste and maners, as well as it is a mild form of recycling.

Dittos. As long as you haven't sneezed on it. lol
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:48 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
I will often ask "If you don't mind, may I read your paper when you're finished?" if I haven't brought any reading material or other ways to entertain myself on the flight.

I don't think I've ever been asked, though.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I've had people ask and I'm happy to oblige. It's rarely a paper, more commonly a book or a magazine. I read them and leave them in the seatback pocket or in the gate area for whoever comes next. I'm actually pleased that people do sometimes ask, otherwise I would wonder if all of them ended up being "cleaned." I'm thinking of making and laminating some bookmarks that say, "I'm finished with it, if you want it, it's yours" in case there's any doubt when I've left it behind. But I'm probably too lazy.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume it must be those magazines that people are quick to discard after reading them. If it is one that I would like to keep for a while, I would only lend it (not give) to the passenger sitting close to me or where I can see him rather clearly from my seat.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
I would and have asked for and offered papers. I especially do it when my seatmate may be reading another Paper and we swap.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
I have both asked to look at someone else's paper and offered others my own, and have offered magazines too. I usually make a point to take a stack of magazines on the plane with me, and often when there is an empty seat next to me, I will place them down, and mention to the person on the other side that he or she should feel free to borrow if he or she wishes. With magazines, I often want them back when I leave, but this is never a problem.

I have also commonly asked about a newspaper when a person has put it down and they seem finished with it. I have also been in seating areas in the terminal where several people have been sharing around sections of the paper.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I have asked and been asked for the newspaper, especially on long trips and different newspapers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.