Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Class Action Settlement re: improper exchange rate fees charged by credit card co's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class Action Settlement re: improper exchange rate fees charged by credit card co's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Burrito Elito

Just received a mail regarding a class action settlement with credit card companies for overcharging on international exchange rates. Offers three options for settlement: a flat $25 refund for infrequent international travel, an unspecified refunt for around $2500 in purchases, and a more extensive refund where you break down your international purchases by year.

Anyone else get this? Is it legit?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I got one also. IIRC, there was something in the news about a class action suit months ago. They have to send a form to all cc holders.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:35 pm

Yes, it's legit. I received an initial mailing several months ago and had to submit a form then claiming the use of the cards in foreign locations. Now I also got the mailing you got and filed for option 1 electronically. Now waiting for my $25.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: United, Starwood, Frontier, Delta, BA
I almost threw it out thinking it was junk mail, but AFAIK its legit. And intriguing.
Do you gamble on the easy option #2 and hope for decent "average spending" or try #3 and find all those damn records.
Option #3 would take some amount of time, I just wonder if it would be worth it. I doubt I've spent > $15K over 10 years.
You only get to count Visa/MC/DC not AMEX and only foreign currency stuff, not hotels/airlines etc. booked in US$
And I was a starving student for many of those years
so probably #2 for me
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:59 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
I got the paperwork too.
$25...is it even worth the effort?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:15 pm

Got it too. It's legit. More details here, including the attorneys fee of appx $100M.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
i got it today after having filled out a form earlier this year. apparently i qualify for the Option 3 so i gotta wait a bit longer to see if i get my $
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:09 pm

Can anyone give a ballpark estimate of option 3

So for a typical FT member who goes abroad 4-8 times a year what might they be looking at for a total payoff here? I realize I'm asking for a wild guess but your guess is surely better than mine.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
No doubt a lot of work went into this on the part of the plaintiffs' attorneys. Seems like a reasonable return on their investment of time and money.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I got it too, and wondered about whether it was legit.

Pity I can't remember the CC# of the one I use abroad, since I changed it after some unauthorized transactions! Have to rack the brain a little....
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
We got them too. I'm thinking we spent at least 50K in the last ten years without even trying, so we're opting for option 2.

TH can probably even find most of her credit card bills to itemize.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
If you are a member of the class and want an easy and relatively painless $25, take the first option. Otherwise, you essentially have three alternatives:
(1) Accept one of the other two settlement options and take your chances with how your remuneration will eventually be calculated;
(2) opt-out of the class entirely in writing by February 14, 2008, and fight your own legal battle; or
(3) file (or, better yet, have your attorney file) a written objection to the settlement by February 14, 2008.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Been trying for a few days to find a human to talk to by phone or email to figure out how they do the average spending for the "how many days were you abroad" estimate. The legal docs mention using the "U.S. Department of Commerce annual Survey of International Air Travelers" but that's not freely available... any ideas?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:31 pm

Is there one coming for Amex? thats where I spend most of my moola overseas.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:33 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Where do you get a copy of this? I have been living in Europe for years and would love some money back on my US cards!

Did all of you just get these mailings?
Is it all mastercard and visas or just certain banks?

Thanks.

Ciao,
FH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.