My day: watching a minor coup attempt live from my hotel room in Manila

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My day: watching a minor coup attempt live from my hotel room in Manila

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
WOW, crazy stuff!! Richard thanks for the first hand accounts...This really interests me as I am flying into Manila in about 5 days...and a week from tomorrow will check into the Shangri-La for a few nights...actually have a club floor room booked...so, say Richard how are those club rooms? (my first visit!)
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Massive protest 10000+ right outside my window at the ...

..Westin Chosun in S Korea, a few years back..tear gas, molotovs, bamboo stick fights...damn entertaining...all cuz the farmers were pissed about some tarrif.^
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Everything, except possibly Peninsula hotel operation, seems back to normal outside this morning. Traffic is lmuch ighter than usual (but it is a holiday today here). They made so many exceptions to the "curfew" that it was probably irrelevant, especially as local civil rights leaders were pointing out it was likely illegal in the first place.

RS250Racer, the Shangri-la club rooms are quite nice but it is the club lounge that is spectacular -- the best food and drink service I have encountered at any hotel. They will custom-cook breakfast for you, for example. Since my last visit, internet in rooms was made free (wifi in the lounge is also free).
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:22 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Excellent! Looking forward to it! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Thanks for the first hand account richard, but I'm a bit disappointed that you neglected to include some critical information...

How was the Tea? Did the serve crumpets?

We need details man, details!

Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: KF
OP, u nailed down cnn field reporter

this is better than the field reporter stationed there,lol.RIchard, keep up your reports feed, its better than reading cnn website,lol, thats why I love this forum.I need reports from greenbelt night life too and so Im told.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:38 pm

Wow, I stayed at the Manila Hotel a while back. Crazy to think this is happening so close
Old Dec 1, 2007, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Thanks for the first hand account richard, but I'm a bit disappointed that you neglected to include some critical information...

How was the Tea? Did the serve crumpets?

We need details man, details!

No crumpets but they have excellent scones -- only unlike everything else, there seems to be a very limited number of them, so if you see a scone, move fast!

In addition to cooked eggs and omelettes for breakfast, they have added freshly made French toast, pancakes, and waffles to order. It's hard being so close to a coup attempt isn't it?
Old Dec 1, 2007, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
No crumpets but they have excellent scones -- only unlike everything else, there seems to be a very limited number of them, so if you see a scone, move fast!

In addition to cooked eggs and omelettes for breakfast, they have added freshly made French toast, pancakes, and waffles to order. It's hard being so close to a coup attempt isn't it?
Thanks for the interesting coup report. I barely missed a coup in the Comoros Islands. Glad you are safe.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:01 am
Original Poster

It was kind of cool spotting a Santa Claus among the street-level coup attempt spectators!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by gitsumjunkmail
Wow, I stayed at the Manila Hotel a while back. Crazy to think this is happening so close
Hmmm...The Manila Hotel is about a 30 minute drive from the Peninsula without traffic.

BTW, the Pen is open today starting at 3pm.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, they always seem to pick the swankiest place for things like this. Marcos would have been proud.

At least none of the places where I usually stay in Manila is likely to be targeted. My budget's way too downscale to get in the way of those disgruntled Philippine generals.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thanks for the interesting coup report. I barely missed a coup in the Comoros Islands. Glad you are safe.
This is great. I'd like to suggest that the TalkBoard conisder a new sub-forum of trip reports for "coup reports" or maybe we could be a little more general and let it cover any police/military action??

Thanks for the details, Richard and glad you're safe. ^
Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

So I was back in Manila again last week, and guess what happened last Friday on the same street in front of my hotel? Only this time it was a peaceful "people-power" rally, announced in advance. Also the theme was "The President Should Resign" instead of being a coup attempt.

The large land company which owns most of the nearby buildings, being forewarned, was able to take preparatory action: they plopped down some porta-potties in the middle of nearby streets.

Sigh...story of my life, it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.