Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

German Passport - stamp of Cuba - problems to get American visa / Green card ??

Old Nov 21, 07, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC

The title basically explains it.

I am a German citizen and I am somehow interested to go to Cuba next year to hopefully see "the real Cuba" as long as it stays that way.

For the future, probably even next year, I plan on applying for a work visa or a Green Card in the US.

Is it a problem to go to Cuba before? Or will the visa possibly be denied for being in Cuba once in my life on a touristy stay?

Just to clarify: it is not illegal for Germans to visit Cuba

Thanks in advance for all your help and recommendations ^
Old Nov 21, 07, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
My passport has some stamps that you cant really call best friends of the US.

Cuba, Bolivia are just 2 examples. When I got my last visa they asked just about a tunisian stamp where I worked for 2 months. Nothing else. I assume you will have to go to FRA !?

It depends on what other countries you plan to visit, maybe you just get a second passport if you want to be 100% sure but in my experience it is not necessary.

Cheers,
Old Nov 21, 07, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
You'll be fine, why ?

Cuba doesn't stamp your passport. You get a Tourist Card to keep in your passport with your arrival stamp on it. On departure they take it off you.
Old Nov 21, 07, 5:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
You'll be fine, why ?

Cuba doesn't stamp your passport. You get a Tourist Card to keep in your passport with your arrival stamp on it. On departure they take it off you.
OP has a German passport, not a US passport. Cuba does stamp other countries' passports.
Old Nov 21, 07, 6:48 pm

A German friend of mine mentioned that it's pretty easy to get a second German passport for precisely this purpose--and you get a full-validity passport indistinguishable from your original one, not a 6-month passport many other countries issue.
Old Nov 21, 07, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
U.S. law restricts American citizens from spending money in Cuba (although technically American citizens are allowed to travel to Cuba).

But there is no restriction regarding non-U.S. nationals traveling to Cuba and then subsequently entering the United States.

Thousands of Canadians visit Cuba every years and then travel into the United States.
Old Nov 21, 07, 11:38 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
OP has a German passport, not a US passport. Cuba does stamp other countries' passports.
No, it doesn't. Our group (traveling on Dutch, Spanish and Colombian passports) did not get stamps in Cuba.
Old Nov 22, 07, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
You get a card....

...the cuban government is aware that it may hamper tourists if they plan to visit the USA so they give you a card...no worries.
Old Nov 22, 07, 9:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>Cuba does stamp other countries' passports

Not Canadian.
Old Nov 22, 07, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gglave View Post
>Cuba does stamp other countries' passports

Not Canadian.
Understood, but in any case the U.S. does not forbid non-U.S. citizens from visiting Cuba so the entire issue is moot.

A German national can gain entry into the U.S. with a Cuban stamp in his/her passport.

I'm an American citizen and I have a Cuban stamp in my passport and not only has that never stopped me from re-entering the country, no one at ICE has ever questioned the presence of that stamp (or an old Lybian stamp) in my passport.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Nov 22, 07 at 11:29 am
Old Nov 22, 07, 3:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>A German national can gain entry into the
>U.S. with a Cuban stamp in his/her passport.

If the agent deems to let them in. I used to have several large arabic-laden visas in my passport from Egypt and Jordan. I used to get so much hassle about them that eventually I paid to get a new (Canadian) passport.

However, gaining entry is at the discretion of the border official, who may take umbridge at a stamp s/he doesn't like.

>I'm an American citizen and I have a Cuban stamp in my passport and not >only has that never stopped me from re-entering the country

If you are an American citizen, don't your border agents have to let you in regardless? Where else are you going to go? Live at the border station? They might fine you or whatever, but they have to let you in.
Old Nov 22, 07, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA G, LH SEN, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Lifetime Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by donjoff View Post
A German friend of mine mentioned that it's pretty easy to get a second German passport for precisely this purpose--and you get a full-validity passport indistinguishable from your original one, not a 6-month passport many other countries issue.
This info is incorrect.

I am German and have been to Cuba and right after that to the US (through MEX). No problems whatsoever.
Old Nov 22, 07, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Thanks for all the information so far. So some of you guys had no problems to enter the US afterwards.

How about getting a visa or even a GREEN CARD?
Old Nov 22, 07, 10:06 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Tag,
You should be fine. They even give green cards to people with Cuban passports ^
You might be asked about the travel, but it should not be a point of rejection for a visa application if you went as a tourist. If you say I was there learning to be a communist to spread the joy to the USA with my new green card then you might get denied Seriously, you should be fine. You can always check/ask a US immigration just to make sure.

Tschüss,
FH
Old Nov 22, 07, 10:48 pm
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by donjoff View Post
Well, not quite. The standard passport for people over the age of 30 (?) is valid for 10 years. You can only hold one passport with a validity of 10 years (exceptions apply if you have visas tucked into the passport you want to replace), so a second passport will only be valid for 5 years.

HTB.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: