FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Room Service tips on top of tips (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/756836-room-service-tips-top-tips.html)

rbrenton88 Nov 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Room Service tips on top of tips

Last night, I ordered a small pizza for around $13 roughly, with nothing else to go with it. As I signed the tab, I noticed the grand total was over $18, which included the 'gratuity' and 'service charge' both, plus another blank line for additional tip. I left that blank and signed it, and as I handed it back to the waiter, I got the distinct impression that he was not happy.

What do you usually do in cases like this? I figure a roughly 35% add-on is more than enough. I know the service person doesn't get all of that, but can't one assume they get the auto-gratuity at least?

This is in a South American Radisson, if that makes any difference.

seoulmanjr Nov 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by rbrenton88 (Post 8724858)
Last night, I ordered a small pizza for around $13 roughly, with nothing else to go with it. As I signed the tab, I noticed the grand total was over $18, which included the 'gratuity' and 'service charge' both, plus another blank line for additional tip. I left that blank and signed it, and as I handed it back to the waiter, I got the distinct impression that he was not happy.

What do you usually do in cases like this? I figure a roughly 35% add-on is more than enough. I know the service person doesn't get all of that, but can't one assume they get the auto-gratuity at least?

This is in a South American Radisson, if that makes any difference.

That's insane. It should've been $13 with a blank line OR $18 and no extra blank line, in my opinion. I hate that crap. They're already bilking you for a compulsory "tip"! If it isn't optional, it isn't gratuity -- it's just a higher price.

peace,
~Ben~

Justme123456 Nov 13, 2007 4:41 pm

I usually add 10%. That's it. I know it's insane but I order room service from multiple Marriotts more often than not due to business travel. It's not worth it to me to make a "statement" as I will probably be back to the exact hotel and order again and probably get the same delivery person. I guess the sting is a little less painful as my company ends up paying it. Like it or not (and I do NOT) it is the custom we've created in the good ole' U.S. of A. To underscore that point - an Austrailian couple was in the elevator with me this morning (yes, I am in a Marriott as I write this) and they were laughing on how frequent they feel they must tip. I wanted to add something to their conversation but I did not. I could only share my frustration in quiet.

thegeneral Nov 13, 2007 5:01 pm

"That's insane. It should've been $13 with a blank line OR $18 and no extra blank line, in my opinion."

Other people disagree with you. It's quite easy for you to not add a tip than it is to have the room service attendee go back downstairs, print another bill and bring it back up to the room.

An easy solution for this is to simply ask the room service staff who show up at your room if this includes gratuity. They will say yes it does. What you should remember though, is they only get a small piece of this. It goes into a gratuity pool that also lines the pockets of managers who sit in offices and don't give you direct service.

Personally, I will often add a few bucks, but keep it in the 5-10% range.

seoulmanjr Nov 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8725145)
"That's insane. It should've been $13 with a blank line OR $18 and no extra blank line, in my opinion."

Other people disagree with you. It's quite easy for you to not add a tip than it is to have the room service attendee go back downstairs, print another bill and bring it back up to the room.

I don't get it -- if I write in a tip and then sign, they have to go down and print another bill to bring back up?

Anyway, my point is that I find it purposefully deceitful to include gratuity and then still have a line for gratuity. It banks on people not reading their bill and just tacking on 15%-20% and signing out of habit. Restaurants that automatically include gratuity on groups over 5, for instance, and then still leave a line for a tip are doing the same thing. And yes, it is deliberate.

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8725145)
An easy solution for this is to simply ask the room service staff who show up at your room if this includes gratuity. They will say yes it does. What you should remember though, is they only get a small piece of this. It goes into a gratuity pool that also lines the pockets of managers who sit in offices and don't give you direct service.

Personally, I will often add a few bucks, but keep it in the 5-10% range.

I would think that writing in any extra tip on the bill also goes into that same pool when it is processed, so that's really a moot point unless you're giving the person 5-10% in cash. Tip pooling is anathema to me -- I want to tip the person giving me good service. If it's automatic, or pooled either way, the slackers and jerks get a cut of what I intended to give to the person serving me by way of thanks.

I'm not stingy when I receive good service, but having been a bartender and waiter years ago and knowing how the game is played by servers and restaurants certainly jaded me to the entire tipping phenomenon.

peace,
~Ben~

wb8iny Nov 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by rbrenton88 (Post 8724858)

I look at the bill, and then state out loud "Oh, I see the tip is included", put a dash through the tip line, sign it, and hand it back... Yes, I get a few dirty looks, but they know what is going on..... Luckily though, I don't stay in the same place often.......

holtju2 Nov 13, 2007 6:07 pm

You know that it is crazy when they have a delivery charge of $3.50, a service charge of 17%, and plus the regular sales tax. Then you are supposed to give an additional tip.

Timfid Nov 13, 2007 7:25 pm

You should pay the gratuity, then add a tip. Then add another tip because they lent you a pen to sign the bill. And then be sure to tip them for accepting the tip. And add another tip to them for closing the door on their way out of your room.

uva185 Nov 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Most hotels I have seen charge 18% gratuity for room service. I do not give extra gratuity unless the waiter does extra work (like set up breakfast on the balcony) in which case its an extra $2-3. I've never gotten a bad vibe for doing that but maybe I am just not picking up on it.

oneant Nov 14, 2007 12:06 am

Originally Posted by uva185 (Post 8726636)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Most hotels I have seen charge 18% gratuity for room service. I do not give extra gratuity unless the waiter does extra work (like set up breakfast on the balcony) in which case its an extra $2-3. I've never gotten a bad vibe for doing that but maybe I am just not picking up on it.

Agreed. Extra effort (by general standards) is rewarded with extra $.

In most room-service situations, I figure that there's an additional work-load (granted, not much of one), to prep the food for room delivery and deliver, as opposed to table service in the restaurant. I'm willing to cover the cost of a single room-service charge (since I'm willing, so is my company).

However, most room service items (that are on the restaurant menu) are already maked up on the room-service menu when compared to the same item on the restaurant menu. Then they add a r/s fee. Then, possibly, an additional fee. If this is the case, they get what's already on the bill and nothing more.

clarence5ybr Nov 14, 2007 2:17 am

Maybe we've been lucky, but Mrs. clarence5ybr and I have never been on the receiving end of a dirty look for no additional tip when it's included. Not only that, but the one time Mrs. clarence5ybr added an extra couple of bucks for a person who had been especially helpful (and was delivering lunch for the third day in a row while I was at a conference), she was even told 'you know, the tip is included, you don't have to add anything'. She responded that she knew that was the case, but wanted to add a little extra.

Our room service at the Hyatt Regency in Denver last night did clearly label the line "additional gratuity" after listing the 'service charge'. I think this is the minimum that should be done to help remind the customer that gratuity is already in the bill. I'll add that this isn't the sole problem of room service...if you dine with a large party at a restaurant, you will often trigger the mandatory gratuity clause, but the bill will still have a blank line for tip.

Ginger K Nov 14, 2007 7:13 am

I don't add anything above the gratuity that's been added to my bill unless they do something extra. If they give me dirty looks I wouldn't notice, why would I care?

If I do give an extra tip I make sure to give it to them in cash, that way I know it gets into their pocket.

htb Nov 14, 2007 7:47 am

Interesting read. My policy is not to give a tip if a service charge is already charged. In my opinion you cannot have a "service charge" (that often is established to avoid "individual tipping") and then ask for individual tips (and then ask for a tip once more).

With "service charge" I mean those 10% added on bills in many hotels.

HTB.

767-322ETOPS Nov 14, 2007 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Timfid (Post 8725860)
And then be sure to tip them for accepting the tip.

^ LOL !

I was thinking this same thought last week at the Loews Miami South Beach: 20% gratuity + $4.50 delivery charge + blank line for addtl tip. What B.S.

alect Nov 14, 2007 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Timfid (Post 8725860)
You should pay the gratuity, then add a tip. Then add another tip because they lent you a pen to sign the bill. And then be sure to tip them for accepting the tip. And add another tip to them for closing the door on their way out of your room.

:D:D^^ I want you to be my lifecoach.