Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I am not interested in the rubbish you have in your passport: UK immigration

I am not interested in the rubbish you have in your passport: UK immigration

Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not sure about LGW, but at LHR T4 you would walk past about five signs before you get to the desk which say "Please remove your passport from its cover before you get to the desk". If you ignored this many signs at LGW, I'm not surprised they get annoyed.

I've also seen immigration officers get angry with people in the queue who ignore the 'no mobiles' signs - especially since those signs are there for their own protection, to stop pax photographing immigration staff for possible nefarious purposes. Again, you can't blame them for getting angry with people who ignore the signs.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:42 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Raffles
I've also seen immigration officers get angry with people in the queue who ignore the 'no mobiles' signs - especially since those signs are there for their own protection, to stop pax photographing immigration staff for possible nefarious purposes.
Actually, last time I went through STN they had clarified the "no mobiles" rule such that it was no mobiles while being processed. I understood that using a mobile in the queue was fine, because it was saving time.

Again, you can't blame them for getting angry with people who ignore the signs.
You can blame them for letting their anger show though. The OP should take his passport out of his cover, though. It's just polite.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:37 pm

No mobiles in the Immigration Lobby at all in the USA. Confiscation or fine or even arrest are the consequences.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I don't have a passport cover..... I feel so left out.

Once when we were processing through Canadian cutoms at YVR, the customs agent started carefully persuing my passport and then said, "Wow, you have really been some neat places".

That was surprising to me. I had always thought that our travel was pretty tame compared to a lot of FlyerTalkers I have met.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:17 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Taker Park
I always hand it back with a request to take it out of the cover and empty out anything in the pages.
Perhaps a sign in the immigration check line recommending people to remove passports from holders and to remove non-attached items from it might help?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I have encountered actual RUDE immigration officers in Heathrow, which is why I never fly through Heathrow anymore. One on hand, you have not overly friendly, perhaps somber, maybe unwelcoming immigrations officers in certain countries. The people I have encountered in Heathrow have been downright, actively rude and combative with no provocation on my part. I don't need a visa to enter the UK and in the past have just been passing through (to Ireland from the US, which YES, you must submit to British passport check).

I can understand their annoyance with people not removing their passport cover tho, especially if there are signs indicating that passengers do so. I first saw such a sign at Charles de Gaulle and since I bought a passport cover have always removed it. The vast majority of countries I have visited use electronic devices to read the information on the front of the passport.

On that note....who can explain to me what information can immigration agents see when they pull me up on their computer? Is there a worldwide network that shares entry and exit information? Or just on the level of regional alliances, like within the EU for example?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by 1worldtrader
Try to look at it from the immigration officers POV: What a waste of time to have to remove passports from hundreds of holders on a daily basis, let alone put them back in.....

It is not just about ONE person's holder (so no need to be personally offended), but instead about all the holders they have to deal with. I'm with the officer on this one.

To the OP: The bad attitude was not necessary, but perhaps yours was the 10th holder in a row....
The original poster did not say, nor did I read her to imply, that she should have been allowed to keep her passport in the cover so I'm not sure why so many replies have been along the lines of "you should remove the passport..." And what relevance is it if the officer has had to repeatedly ask travelers to remove their passports? Accepting for argument's sake that was true, it would merely explain why an officer would be frustrated; it does not justify or excuse in any way the officer taking out his frustration on a completely innocent party who is utterly unaware of whether she's the first or 10th or 100th person that morning with a passport in a cover.

I think the original poster was rightly complaining about the needless and unjustified hostility on the part of the immigration official, who also subjected the traveler to additional questioning out of pure spite. Are we so resigned to petty immigration officers abusing their authority that we excuse or shrug off their abuses? Granted, this is not something to start a war over but what he did was out of pure malice. I certainly am not "with the officer on this one."
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by KMHT FF
Taking a hint from the welcoming land of the free, home of the brave.
My sentiments exactly
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Not sure about LGW, but at LHR T4 you would walk past about five signs before you get to the desk which say "Please remove your passport from its cover before you get to the desk". If you ignored this many signs at LGW, I'm not surprised they get annoyed.

I've also seen immigration officers get angry with people in the queue who ignore the 'no mobiles' signs - especially since those signs are there for their own protection, to stop pax photographing immigration staff for possible nefarious purposes. Again, you can't blame them for getting angry with people who ignore the signs.
Spot on. ^

And indifference/callousness like this towards regulations further delays everybody else waiting in the queue as well.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
How very dare you! You should be kissing our royal behinds for allowing you in the first place!

Just kidding

OK, you got a miserable git. I usually find the UK folks generally nice, but you do get some miserable ones who ain't been gettin' any for a while. That's why I've got IRIS (www.iris.gov.uk).

Have you noticed the warm and friendly greetings going on at the TBIT when you land?

Thought so
Nothing to add ^
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
If you ignored this many signs at LGW, I'm not surprised they get annoyed...

I've also seen immigration officers get angry with people in the queue who ignore the 'no mobiles' signs ... Again, you can't blame them for getting angry with people who ignore the signs.
Sign, sign everywhere a sign,
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind,
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?...

Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by kahuna613

On that note....who can explain to me what information can immigration agents see when they pull me up on their computer? Is there a worldwide network that shares entry and exit information? Or just on the level of regional alliances, like within the EU for example?
I've often wondered the same thing. Does it say something like "American, right handed, prefers Sweet Tarts over Sprees"?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by kahuna613
I believe there is no world-wide exchange of information for travellers without problems, I mean only data on criminals and terrorists are exchanged between (many, not all) countries.
I also believe the Canadians and US Americans can see the information about previous visits to their country, as in both countries I have been asked "when was your last visit to Canada/USA" and when I gave them the date they looked at the screen and nodded.
And in Schengen when they enter my passport data all that shows up is "pass" if there are no problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.