Wiki Posts
Search

KQ to MSP?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Post KQ to MSP?

A while ago, I saw on a.net it being kicked about possible new Intl expansion to MSP in the next 5-10 yrs.. and that due to NWA and KQ(Kenya Airways) having partnership.. and the fact that MSP has a huge base of African-American Heritage Peoples, of some or many..whom have East African roots. There was something talked about that the O & D traffic between MSP and AMS to catch the KQ flights to NBO is rather high... Also, they don't fly anywhere to the USA yet. There have been some rumors as well floating around. Being that they will be getting 787's within the next couple years and maybe a few more 777's... do you see any chance that KQ as one of their expansion routes with either 787's or 777's might aim towards MSP??? ORD has huge base of Africans as well but theres poor connections to Skyteam flights. I was also thinking JFK or DTW might be an idea as well? What are your thoughts folks? ^

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Nov 24, 2007 at 4:35 am Reason: Added some more info.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are many Somalis in the MSP area and when they want to visit friends and relatives in or around Somalia, they fly to Kenya usually.

The benefit of AMS-NBO flights is that it is positioned better to consolidate Somali and East African VFR traffic from the main population centers in MSP, around WAS and DTW with traffic from various other places served by KL flights in the US or KL flights in Europe.

KQ at MSP would be interesting but I don't know how sustainable that would be.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Thumbs up Good Idea

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are many Somalis in the MSP area and when they want to visit friends and relatives in or around Somalia, they fly to Kenya usually.

The benefit of AMS-NBO flights is that it is positioned better to consolidate Somali and East African VFR traffic from the main population centers in MSP, around WAS and DTW with traffic from various other places served by KL flights in the US or KL flights in Europe.

KQ at MSP would be interesting but I don't know how sustainable that would be.
You do issue many interesting comments. I have a friend at college who is of descent from Tanzania, and he said usually when he and his family goes back to Tanzania... they have to fly msp-ams-nbo-dar use sallam..(sry cant spell greatly this city..) He told me that on about 50-60% of the times they've gone back to see family... about 20% of the flight from MSP to AMS connected to Nairobi. He says it takes too long to get there. Now, could a 772ER do NBO-MSP nonstop,albeit weight-restricted? or would this probably be something that is more suited for their "upcoming" 787's and 2-3 772LR's they will be getting within the next few yrs. I heard some rumours floating around from my fathers friend that worked at NW until very recently, and in a rather high position.. that KQ officals had frequented MSP a bit in the past couple years talking with NW officals, due to them being partners. I can see many beneficial outcomes to this. Also, there seems to be a rather big South African influx to some Companies in the area, since there is a company that also has offices in South Africa. I think this would offer a quicker connection ex. South Africa (and Southern Africa) and Central Africa to Nairobi then onto Minneapolis,thus bypassing Europe and the "requirement" for transit visas, which would make it much more effective for Travellers. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.