Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When your seatmate has bad breath and won't take a mint from you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When your seatmate has bad breath and won't take a mint from you?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:23 am

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
It's amazing how well the direct approach can work.

<crinkling sound of wrapper. Scene: my hand transporting mint or gum toward my mouth, then repeating with a gesture toward seatmate:>

"Here, have a mint."

People take orders shockingly well when they're presented as offers, in my experience.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by bambbbam
Nothing worse than a mephitic seatmate..

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mephitic

Ohhhhhh. Me likey! I'll stash this one away in the ol' brain and use when necessary...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I was absolutely nauseated by the elderly lady sitting next to me on a flight from PHL to LHR. I offered gum, mints, everything to no avail. In addition she keep talking at me the entire flight. I was so tempted to drop a drammamine into her beverage. WHat would you have done in the situation.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by govtflyer
I was absolutely nauseated by the elderly lady sitting next to me on a flight from PHL to LHR. I offered gum, mints, everything to no avail. In addition she keep talking at me the entire flight. I was so tempted to drop a drammamine into her beverage. WHat would you have done in the situation.
Put on headphones and pretend to sleep.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
what to do when passenger next to you has excruciating halitosis?

Last night I was flying in in a window seat, ORD-BOS. The plane was pretty full and there was a passenger next to me in the middle seat. He was a fellow probably around 30 or so.

I knew I was in trouble from the beginning because there was a bit of a stench in the air as soon as he sat down. A few minutes later I realized the source: his mouth. This guy's breath was so horrendous that even when he was looking straight ahead at the seat in front of him, I smelled his breath. And it wasn't just minor bad breath, this was the bad stuff. The excruciating stuff. The stuff that makes you want to vomit or at least stick ear plugs up your nose.

The worst part came when he fell asleep and his head cocked towards me. His mouth opened a little bit but it was enough to increase the intensity of the stench. Pure misery.

So what could have been done? There were no empty seats that I could see so switching would have been difficult. I didn't have any breath mints on me to offer him. I guess I could have gotten up and spent most of the flight in or near the galley/lav. I could have also just held my nose hoping he got the hint, I suppose.

Any suggestions for future halitosis situations?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Offer gum or a mint, if you have some, of course.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Offer gum or a mint, if you have some, of course.
Alas I had none. I will always carry some Orbit gum or something though from now on. I was hoping he'd at least get a drink to put down the fire a bit, but he just kept sleeping during drink service. I would have bought him a vodka to kill the bacteria that was doing the offending.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
wow sounds horrible. i wonder if he has chronic bad breath, if he doesn't care or doesn't think that other people notice? this is rather inconsiderate, to say the least.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: UA, AA
Here's a tip I learned on the Lonely Planet forum regarding traveling on a vehicle full of backpackers. Always carry Mentholateum and apply a small amount to each nostril. I've done it and it really helps to filter out the offending odor.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by gosha83
wow sounds horrible. i wonder if he has chronic bad breath, if he doesn't care or doesn't think that other people notice? this is rather inconsiderate, to say the least.
As ORD is a large international hub, it is possible that this guy had come in from Asia or something and thus hadn't brushed his teeth in awhile.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:09 am

re: halitosis

Originally Posted by Jane361
Here's a tip I learned on the Lonely Planet forum regarding traveling on a vehicle full of backpackers. Always carry Mentholateum and apply a small amount to each nostril. I've done it and it really helps to filter out the offending odor.
Eating altoids will do the same for you. I ride the train with a lot of people who have really bad breath and it works every time.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Jane361
Agreed. I do this when needed, and it works every time.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
1. I'd be thankful its not a transcon.
2. I'd pray for no landing or gate delays.
3. I'd try not to talk to him and hope he went to sleep. (Maybe not. He might be a mouth breather).
4. I'd buy myself a two vodkas. Since I barely drink that ought to put me to sleep.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Last night I was flying in in a window seat, ORD-BOS. The plane was pretty full and there was a passenger next to me in the middle seat. He was a fellow probably around 30 or so.

I knew I was in trouble from the beginning because there was a bit of a stench in the air as soon as he sat down. A few minutes later I realized the source: his mouth. This guy's breath was so horrendous that even when he was looking straight ahead at the seat in front of him, I smelled his breath. And it wasn't just minor bad breath, this was the bad stuff. The excruciating stuff. The stuff that makes you want to vomit or at least stick ear plugs up your nose.

The worst part came when he fell asleep and his head cocked towards me. His mouth opened a little bit but it was enough to increase the intensity of the stench. Pure misery.

So what could have been done? There were no empty seats that I could see so switching would have been difficult. I didn't have any breath mints on me to offer him. I guess I could have gotten up and spent most of the flight in or near the galley/lav. I could have also just held my nose hoping he got the hint, I suppose.

Any suggestions for future halitosis situations?
Actually, carry the Altoids for the other person... As a person involved in sales I ALWAYS carry mints (prefer Altoids) to insert before meeting the customer, and make any others in my party do the same, in case any of us have Big Mac breath.....

As for the sleeping person next to you, gently place your hand (covered if possible) on his face, and tilt his head toward the other seatmate (or isle, depending on your position). Who said life was fair....
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I read one of those "Life Instruction" type things once that said if someone offers you a breath mint, take it. I would take one if offered but I guess my own stash of mints is already working OK. I like the mentholatum suggestion, tho!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.