Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

SEA-MNL during Holiday Season - Low fare tips would be appreciated

SEA-MNL during Holiday Season - Low fare tips would be appreciated

Old Nov 1, 07, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation SEA-MNL during Holiday Season - Low fare tips would be appreciated

Hi All,

I am trying disparately to travel between Dec26 - Jan3 (flexible on those dates) from SEA to MNL. I have tried literally every website I could find to search airline costs and all I get is returns over $2k. On expedia there was a set of flights for $1.5k (via Philippine Airlines) however for some reason i cannot book those tickets.

Cheapest I could find is SEA-YVR-MNL on Philippine Airlines for $2108 which is very pricey - i would appreciate some guidance on alternative places to check to get a better deal.

Thank you all in advance
Old Nov 1, 07, 6:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You're booking tickets for the middle of the holiday travel season at what many would consider the last minute. I think you're fortunate to find seats for sale. Kayak.com is returning fares of $2,016 RT for Dec 26/Jan 3. Flying on Dec 25 lowers the price to $1,939 RT. I didn't play around with any other dates, I'll leave that up to you.
Old Nov 1, 07, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
If the money's more important than the time, you could fly to another airport in the region and then take a connecting flight on a LCC into Manila. Flights to HKG for instance aren't too bad still, and there's a direct ferry from the airport at HKG to Macau, with Tiger airways flying Macau - Manila (well Clark Field - sort of close enough ). Or even Philippine Airlines has direct flights HKG-MNL available for under US$200 return including taxes (depending on how long you want to stay in MNL). Cebu Pacific has similar fares available too, depending on the day.

As always you take the risks when flying on separate tickets, but looks like it'd still save you a few hundred dollars.
Old Nov 1, 07, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
For those fares, business class on NW would only cost a little bit more ($2378 a/i) and could get you to CO PE to boot.

Dates I find right now are out 24 Dec., back 31 Dec., 1, 8, 9 & 10 Jan. More out dates in early Jan. available (until 4 Jan.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=zrxhol

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Nov 1, 07 at 7:20 pm
Old Nov 3, 07, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
For those fares, business class on NW would only cost a little bit more ($2378 a/i) and could get you to CO PE to boot.

Dates I find right now are out 24 Dec., back 31 Dec., 1, 8, 9 & 10 Jan. More out dates in early Jan. available (until 4 Jan.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=zrxhol
Thank you all for the responses - I spent a long time researching other methods for getting these tickets through a travel agency (first time actually I've used one for personal use - I'm used to booking online or via work travel agency).

I was able to get SEA-PDX-NRT-MNL-NRT-PDX-SEA Round trip all on Alaska (SEA/PDX route) and NW (which is great because I am AS Gold and Continental Gold) for $1705 USD (all taxes/etc included) flying Dec 25(arrive MNL late 26th)-Jan3. Not too bad considering I was being quoted in the $2k-$2.5k range.

Which brings me to two questions:
1) What is the rule of thumb for using a travel agent - I was always going on the rule of not using them and cutting out the middle man, however, (after paying a $10 commission fee) this has obviously saved me $. Is this because it's peak season and they have access to more tickets?

2) YVR Cockroach, excuse me for being a bit thick, however, what does CO PE stand for? Continental PE?

Thank you all

Last edited by MitzEclipse; Nov 3, 07 at 2:49 am
Old Nov 3, 07, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse View Post
2) YVR Cockroach, excuse me for being a bit thick, however, what does CO PE stand for? Continental PE?
Exactly. Top status on CO? WBC instead of the back for $700 more.
Old Nov 3, 07, 1:34 pm

If you're living in Seattle, you might do well to check out the travel agents down in the ID. It's an old-school way to go, but they seem to have connections and access to consolidators that aren't available online.
Old Nov 3, 07, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Exactly. Top status on CO? WBC instead of the back for $700 more.
Sorry what is PE? Thanks
Old Nov 4, 07, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Too bad you weren't flying later in the year. Hawaiian Air is suppose to launch HNL-MNL service in March 2008. They might offer some low introductory fares. It would be nice to go just SEA-HNL-MNL and perhaps have a stopover in HNL.
Old Nov 4, 07, 10:29 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse View Post
Sorry what is PE? Thanks
CO PE = Continental Platinum Elite

Search this Thread
Search Engine: