Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why the 2 Piece Luggage rule for the Americas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the 2 Piece Luggage rule for the Americas?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:45 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Originally Posted by ITravelWayTooMuch
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
US airlines have traditionally allowed 2 pieces of checked luggage, now capped at 50 pounds each. (I'm ignoring additional allowances allowed for those with elite status.) That's 100 pounds, even if flying coach. If a European carrier limited luggage on a US flight to 20kgs or 44 lbs, it would be at a significant competitive disadvantage [compared] to a US carrier.
How would it be a disadvantage to the US carrier? In the situation you mention, the US carrier offers a higher limit and that would give them the competitive advantage.
She mentioned that the non-American airline would be at a competitive disadvantage if they didn't match the US airlines on flights to/from US re: baggage. You missed a word in her quote.
No, Sharon. Carol's proposition is missing a crucial contextual signifier, which I edited in above. TWTM's response makes sense.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:09 am

Some passengers find the money they thought they were saving by flying an airline like Ryanair from the foreign airport that had the best fare to their final destination winds up paying for excess baggage.

Given how much the currently popular rolling bags weight empty a change to the total weight concept, with a 50 pound limit, would effectively limit most passengers to one checked bag.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:03 am

Baggage systems had nothing to do with competition.

My name was quoted above, so I will give you my two pennies worth again...I worked int eh airline industry from 1977 to 2005, 21 years with IATA and am pretty familiar with the rules which exited till recently. Baggage rules were set by IATA but as the organisation worked with immunity from US anti-trust law there was a condition that all agreements had to be submitted to the CAB and later the DOT for approval before implementation. All IATA agreements were made amongst the airlines and more often than not reflected the lowest common denominator rather than the opposite...believe me...I sat through innumerable IATA tariff meetings including those for baggage. Post WW2 planes were rather limited in their capabilities so baggage had to be limited to weight reasons...the 20kilo comes from that...when planes improved and there was the development of the differentiation of F and Y classes more baggage was offered the 'existing' F class whilst the 'new' Y stuck with the 20kilos. In the late 60s with the 747 coming on-line US based carriers pushed for the piece concept which was resisted elsewhere in the world as too generous hence it only became an IATA agreement to/from North America. In terms of IATA agreements, once the peice system became established, it was perceived as a consumer benefit by the US DoT so any IATA agreement to roll it back to a weight system to from USA, or a less generous piece concept could and would not pass muster with the DoT. What carriers filed individually outside IATA agreements was OK as it was a commercial decision outside an immunised forum and hence not suspect in terms of collusionary activities (what an alliance like Star or Sky do would be interesting to watch...).
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Welcome to FT, djaferisp! A great 1st post on the aviation history.

There are lots of changes in the last 2 years. Hope you'll chime in more often, so FTers can get to pick your brain.

Originally Posted by djaferisp
My name was quoted above, so I will give you my two pennies worth again...I worked int eh airline industry from 1977 to 2005, 21 years with IATA and am pretty familiar with the rules which exited till recently.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Thanks for all the replies.

So is this regulation of the carriers or policy of individual carriers?

There are variances e.g. Qantas refer to "Itinerary" where the USA flights can be on a separate booking/PNR to one's Qantas flights, while other carriers seem to imply the USA flights need to be on the one PNR (Generally without indicating as such).
Seems a good place to ask about my experience about 10 days ago. I have done limited international flying in the last 3 years or so, but I was still a little surprised by what happened.

I was ticketed with Qantas SIN-MEL and return. I never check bags and brought my small "personal item" and normal 20" rollaboard that I have used all over the world with no problem. No questions, no problems going to MEL. On return flight to SIN, MEL agent at check-in asked if I was checking bags and I said I was not- both bags were clearly visible.

Immediately on going through the "passengers only" door, I encountered a gentleman who wanted to weigh my bag (only the rollaboard). As both bags contained substantially less than on my arrival (due to presents delivered in MEL), I thought there would be no problem. Turned out my bag weighed 11 kg and agent said the limit was 7 kg! I was amazed and he said it was a Qantas rule, but only in MEL.

I asked if I could transfer some things from the rollaboard to the shoulder bag and he agreed. I thought it odd as same weight would be going on the plan, but I try not to argue such things. I opened the bags and began to transfer the two or three items of any weight at all; most contents were light clothing and the case was only 2/3 full. I chatted with the fellow re his country of origin and he said if I could get down to 9 kgs he would let me go. It soon became apparent that was unlikely as most of the weight was apparently in the rollaboard itself.

Lucky for me, a very aggressive couple with several bags came through the door and began to berate the agent saying they had already checked bags. The agent and I rolled our eyes at each other and, as I started to put my bag back on the scale, he just waived me through.

I'm sure there is good reason for this and I undoubtedly missed something in reading the fare details. I am, however, a little jealous of all the talk of 40-50 pound limits, etc. I see people like myself traveling everywhere with similar two bag configurations. I guess those who know about it just check the bag and I would have been willing to do the same at the check-in desk (one is required to return to that desk if the bag is above the 7 kgs).

Any comments?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Flights to the US use the piece cocept for luggage. Flights to other countries use a weight concept. I think this rule is written somewhere in the IATA rules.

For example. On a flight with LH in economy to the US you can check in two suit cases each I think 22kg (44lbs). I remember when the limit was 32kg (64lbs) per item. Flying LH in economy to Asia you are only allowed (40lbs). Which you can put in one suitcase or two if you like.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Eureka!

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Flights to the US use the piece cocept for luggage. Flights to other countries use a weight concept. I think this rule is written somewhere in the IATA rules.. ...
To revive my old thread, this is indeed the case.

While researching IATA resolution 302 (MSC) I can across information on the USA DOT and IATA resolution 301 and 302: (http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2008-0367-0002)

IATA Baggage Resolutions

Composite Resolutions 300 and 301 establish standard baggage allowances for IATA member carriers. They apply not only to interline travel, but also to online travel on a single carrier.

Resolution 300 (Baggage Allowance Weight System) establishes a free checked baggage allowance of 20 kgs. in economy class, 30 kgs. in business class and 40 kgs. in first class, for most non-U.S. international markets. Resolution 300 also establishes an excess baggage charge per kg. of 1.5 percent of the highest normal economy class fare, with certain geographic exceptions where the rate is 1.0 percent of the highest normal economy class fare.

Resolution 301 (Baggage Allowance Piece System) establishes a free checked baggage allowance of two pieces for all passengers, with more generous dimensions in business and first class, in international markets to/from the United States and Canada as well as most non-U.S. transpacific routes. Resolution 301 also contains a list of certain items accepted as free baggage regardless of their actual dimensions. The resolution establishes a system of excess baggage charges on non-U.S. routes for each excess or oversize piece, with the levels of the charges specified in a related series of IATA resolutions.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
To revive my old thread, this is indeed the case.

While researching IATA resolution 302 (MSC) I can across information on the USA DOT and IATA resolution 301 and 302: (http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2008-0367-0002)
I wondered how that worked with the current requirement on most US carriers to pay for domestic checked baggage in Y, and the limit to one free checked bag when flying those internationally (excepting elites and whatnot). A look at DL's baggage policy page later and I think I've figured it out: they comply with this, but only for full-fare Y.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by SA_robert
Seems a good place to ask about my experience about 10 days ago. I have done limited international flying in the last 3 years or so, but I was still a little surprised by what happened.

I was ticketed with Qantas SIN-MEL and return. I never check bags and brought my small "personal item" and normal 20" rollaboard that I have used all over the world with no problem. No questions, no problems going to MEL. On return flight to SIN, MEL agent at check-in asked if I was checking bags and I said I was not- both bags were clearly visible.

Immediately on going through the "passengers only" door, I encountered a gentleman who wanted to weigh my bag (only the rollaboard). As both bags contained substantially less than on my arrival (due to presents delivered in MEL), I thought there would be no problem. Turned out my bag weighed 11 kg and agent said the limit was 7 kg! I was amazed and he said it was a Qantas rule, but only in MEL.

I asked if I could transfer some things from the rollaboard to the shoulder bag and he agreed. I thought it odd as same weight would be going on the plan, but I try not to argue such things. I opened the bags and began to transfer the two or three items of any weight at all; most contents were light clothing and the case was only 2/3 full. I chatted with the fellow re his country of origin and he said if I could get down to 9 kgs he would let me go. It soon became apparent that was unlikely as most of the weight was apparently in the rollaboard itself.

Lucky for me, a very aggressive couple with several bags came through the door and began to berate the agent saying they had already checked bags. The agent and I rolled our eyes at each other and, as I started to put my bag back on the scale, he just waived me through.

I'm sure there is good reason for this and I undoubtedly missed something in reading the fare details. I am, however, a little jealous of all the talk of 40-50 pound limits, etc. I see people like myself traveling everywhere with similar two bag configurations. I guess those who know about it just check the bag and I would have been willing to do the same at the check-in desk (one is required to return to that desk if the bag is above the 7 kgs).

Any comments?
It is a Qantas rule (in the terms and conditions) but I don't think it is limited to Melbourne. It does seem to be inconsistently enforced; in my experience you are more likely to be pulled up on it in Brisbane and Perth, rather than Melbourne or Sydney. Heavy wheeled carry ons don't help, obviously. This is the main reason that I bought a Rimowa Salsa Air as my wheeled carry on (still heavier than my Tri-Star though). It's also the reason why I choose dark colored luggage for other bags and try not to let them look overstuffed, so that they seem as inconspicuous as possible. None of these strategies may actually work, but I feel like they do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.