Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airports that tell vendors not to rip travelers off.

Airports that tell vendors not to rip travelers off.

Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A major part of the problem may be the rent charged the concessionairs. I see a significient turn over at DCA and IAD. My understanding is they leave because the rent is just too high.

That may be why :Quote:
For our price comparisons we used Food and Beverage establishments at The Empire State Building, and shops in the vicinity of 8th Ave. between 42nd and 43rd. We also used 5 malls in NJ, SI mall, and local Newark Merchants. The shopping service we used did find water priced at $3.79 in Manhattan.

they may be paying a similar rent.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Portland and IAD are the two that come to mind.
The food outlets are told not to charge more for ther products than they do at thir in town locations.
One fella I was chatting with felt that it was comunnist price fixing plot-that it should be a market driven matter and that a merchant should be able to charge whatever he wishes.
I countered that the buisnesses knew what they were getting into-and felt the profits would outweigh any such restrictions.
What do you as frequent travellers/consumers of these outlets think?
DCA/IAD are both managed by MWAA which says it ensures the prices inside closely match those outside
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:08 am
In memoriam

IMHO, the excess charges of vendors at many airports are a result of a sweetheart deal between vendors and local political machines. The excess profits generated can and are used to, in part, give money to the pols.

ORD is a good example.

Keeping the prices at outside levels would eliminate this corruption. That's why it usually isn't done.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:28 pm
Suspended

I had the opposite problem at SEA this week. All of the places were offering food at very reasonable prices, but it was all generic crap with not a lot of nutrition. Anthony's was there, but their take out menu is just low quality deep fried crap. I was willing to spend $25 on a nice take out lunch, but none of the places were accommodating. I ended up eating Wendy's.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Portland and IAD are the two that come to mind.
The food outlets are told not to charge more for ther products than they do at thir in town locations.
One fella I was chatting with felt that it was comunnist price fixing plot-that it should be a market driven matter and that a merchant should be able to charge whatever he wishes.
I countered that the buisnesses knew what they were getting into-and felt the profits would outweigh any such restrictions.
What do you as frequent travellers/consumers of these outlets think?
Someone needs to tell the ORD merchants that. A 20oz bottle of pop/soda is $2.50. It also irritates me that airports charge a fortune for water. At OMA, bottled water was $4 at all vendors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.