FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   International Driver's License necessary? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/746820-international-drivers-license-necessary.html)

davidcalgary29 Oct 18, 2007 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus (Post 8572617)
Supposedly they're required in Portugal. So I went to AAA and dutifully purchased one. But the rental car company in Lisbon never asked for it.

My partner obtained one in preparation for our trip to Portugal last year, and he was asked for it by the Sixt rental agent at LIS, so perhaps it's just a hit-or-miss thing there.

alliance Oct 18, 2007 3:20 pm

All I needed in Cyprus last year was a passport (ie. no DL or IDP).

biggestbopper Oct 18, 2007 3:31 pm

I got an IDP in France many years ago (valid for three years if issued in France). Never had any use for it and used my US license alone at all times. Only reason I got it was because I understood that it was required to register a car in France which was under consideration at the time.

Came in handy to be from the US when I was stopped by some Fisc guys in Brittany while I was carrying an untaxed bottle or two of superb Calvados given to me some friends. Came out of their basement tank via a hand cranked pump and was, they said, three hundred years old 'cause that's when their family put in the tank and filled it up. :) Of course it had been topped off a little since then. :D

Anyhow, I had been warned against the Fisc inspectors and had wrapped the bottles in newspaper and put them in the trunk. But, when the Fisc folks saw my US license, I was waved right through the checkpoint. ^

Cheers!

polonius Oct 18, 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 (Post 8582897)
My partner obtained one in preparation for our trip to Portugal last year, and he was asked for it by the Sixt rental agent at LIS, so perhaps it's just a hit-or-miss thing there.

Never, ever been asked for one in Europe. In Qatar, you can drive only 3 days on your national licence; after that you need an international licence for up to one month, and after that you need to get a Qatari licence. But such rules are rare -- I've never gotten an "international" licence, and have rented vehicles everywhere. So-called "international" licences are not really licenses -- you still need your national licence along with it -- it just puts the information on the licence into a common format, in french and english, that is recognised by police globally

hfly Oct 18, 2007 6:05 pm

While they may have asked someone above in Portugal if they had one, this does not mean that they require one,Portugal is the only place in Europe where in the last two decades I have been asked for one, and when I didn't, they didn't care. In regard to the original post, I would estimate that I have rented at least 80 cars n Spain over the years and have never been asked for one. I have leased a car in Spain and never required one, and I have owned a car in Spain and was never asked for one...........and I have been involved in accidents, have dealt with police reports and have never ever needed one. Nor have I for Italy, any European country mentioned above, nor in Israel. The only places where I have heard in recent mempry are some tinpot African countries, that's about it.

AnalogMan Oct 18, 2007 6:37 pm

I got one a few months ago. I think it was $15 for the IDP at the AAA office. Members get a discount on the picture but not the IDP itself. Costco has pictures for around $5 which is the best deal I've found anywhere.

davidcalgary29 Oct 19, 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by hfly (Post 8583845)
While they may have asked someone above in Portugal if they had one, this does not mean that they require one,Portugal is the only place in Europe where in the last two decades I have been asked for one, and when I didn't, they didn't care. In regard to the original post, I would estimate that I have rented at least 80 cars n Spain over the years and have never been asked for one. I have leased a car in Spain and never required one, and I have owned a car in Spain and was never asked for one...........and I have been involved in accidents, have dealt with police reports and have never ever needed one. Nor have I for Italy, any European country mentioned above, nor in Israel. The only places where I have heard in recent mempry are some tinpot African countries, that's about it.

Perhaps the rental agent that we dealt with was new and simply didn't know policy rules. I can only advise that, when SO pulled out his (valid) Alberta driver's license, the rental agent gave it an eyeballing and then asked him for an IDP. We had one, gave it to him (he copied down the info), and went on our way; I actually didn't give it a second thought until I read this thread.

schwarm Oct 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Have had them for years and never had to show one (W Europe only). Even so, I'll always have one when planning to rent, just to be safe. IIRC, some European countries officially require an IDP for non-EU (e.g., Spain, Italy) and some do not (e.g., France).

What would make sense is to require a license for driving on the opposite side of the road from what you are used to! (especially roundabouts)

Hvr Oct 19, 2007 5:53 pm

I guess something else to think of is, what happens if you are involved in a collision?

Whilst the rental car companies may not ask they are not a definitive authority on what is actually required as ably demonstrated by posters here.

But, imagine the worst happens and a child runs in front of you, tragedy happens and you hit and kill the child. The police ask for your licence and knowing how sensitive this is going to be check their licence requirements for international drivers.

These requirements clearly state that people from your country need to have both a current licence from their home country and an International Driver's Permit.

Technically you are unlicensed, the initial tragedy of a child's death is now whipped up into a huge controversy about you being unlicensed and potentially liable for huge costs and heavy jail time. Your travel insurance policy won't pay out because you weren't licensed.

That initial $20-30 outlay and slight inconvenience in time will be so minor and something that will play on your mind forever, especially while doing 4-5 years jail, maybe more.

supermasterphil Oct 20, 2007 2:34 am

Let's assume, non-EU-guest driving in the EU:

First scenario:

1) renting a car from a car renting place like Hertz, Sixt, etc:
you do NOT need an international license

2) driving an EU-residents car or a car not owned by a car renting company:
you do need an international license

This is due some insurance terms.

biggestbopper Oct 20, 2007 3:25 am

Maybe an IDP is needed in a few places. I recall that when I was in Bali I was told by a German grad student studying in Jakarta that if a foreigner drove in Bali they would be stopped within five minutes by cops looking for a payoff and the usual excuse was a requirement for an IDP--no regular licenses accepted.

He also suggested that, if you had an IDP, you would still be requested to make a payoff, but, it would be less. :p

He said he would rather rent a car with a driver and avoid the hassle.

Me, I don't have the guts to drive in Indonesia, with or without an IDP.

stimpy Oct 20, 2007 4:13 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper (Post 8591440)
Maybe an IDP is needed in a few places. I recall that when I was in Bali I was told by a German grad student studying in Jakarta that if a foreigner drove in Bali they would be stopped within five minutes by cops looking for a payoff and the usual excuse was a requirement for an IDP--no regular licenses accepted.

I was stopped twice in Bali by these "cops". They didn't care about an IDP and I negotiated the bribe down to a bit of beer money. That's all they want.

stimpy Oct 20, 2007 4:15 am

Originally Posted by supermasterphil (Post 8591355)

Not all all true in France for instance.

hfly Oct 20, 2007 5:00 am

Hvr, that is a total specious argument. An IDP is nothing other than a translation of your license and not having one is NOT considered by anyone in any such circumstance as being "unlicensed". Go read up on the UN convention that created the IDP, and learn about it before making such irresponsible statements. As I stated above, I have been in accidents in Spain, where supposedly one is required and have never had any problems, ever.

supermaster..., that is just silly. I challenge you to please cite one real reference to this "private" condition that you have created.

alanR Oct 21, 2007 6:34 am

Originally Posted by supermasterphil (Post 8591355)

First scenario:

1) renting a car from a car renting place like Hertz, Sixt, etc:
you do NOT need an international license

And according to the LEGAL terms of some countries you NEED an IDP

Moaning to the police that "my insurance says I don't need one" after they do you for not having an IDP when you are LEGALLY required to have one is not going to help your case