Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Blocked seat - but someone tries to take it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

So, here's the situation:
At check-in I'm told by the (nice) agent that she would try to block out the 2 seats next to me (in a 3-seat row). Since the flight had a pretty light load, seems this was doable.
Ok - so after boarding, one person (from a larger group sitting somewhere else) comes and sits down in one of the said blocked seats.
Now - am I justified in informing the FA about the blocked seats, etc., and hoping that he/she take some action. Trying to tell that person myself might be a bit awkward..
Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on how this can be resolved...(if at all)..

Cheers..^
Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Since there isn't a sign over the seats to say that they have been blocked, I don't blame the person for trying to improve their seating position.

Personally, if people are having to sit next to strangers, and you are trying to keep 3 seats to yourself, I think it's a bit selfish to try and enforce the block. If you really want to do it, sitting in one of the seats which makes it less inviting (ie moving to the aisle or the middle, which means they have to get by you to get to the spare seats) is probably the best route. It's going to be hard for crew to intervene in a situation like this, as some pax won't even get the concept of blocked seats. No harm in asking, but don't be surprised if you don't get a positive response.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:44 am

FA gets pax manifest but I'm not sure if it indicates which empty seats are blocked. Within the same class of service, after door closes people often will spread out evenly. If it's a long flight you need to sit in aisle seat during boarding, and that allows you to physically block and engage anyone who tries to get past.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhmlurker
you need to sit in aisle seat during boarding, and that allows you to physically block and engage anyone who tries to get past.
I mostly agree with this. I would sit in the aisle, but mainly because it is my preferred seat. That way, if someone tries to take one or both of the blocked seats, I'm still sitting where I'd like to be if the flight was full. So if you really prefer the window, you might want to sit there. You'd probably be less likely to prevent someone from sitting down, but you'd be in your preferred seat.

Sure hope you weren't sitting in the middle, only to have someone take the window and aisle....
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:44 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by dms321
Hi All,

So, here's the situation:
At check-in I'm told by the (nice) agent that she would try to block out the 2 seats next to me (in a 3-seat row). Since the flight had a pretty light load, seems this was doable.
Ok - so after boarding, one person (from a larger group sitting somewhere else) comes and sits down in one of the said blocked seats.
Now - am I justified in informing the FA about the blocked seats, etc., and hoping that he/she take some action. Trying to tell that person myself might be a bit awkward..
Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on how this can be resolved...(if at all)..

Cheers..^
The way to resolve it is to buy the seat you want blocked.

I do not believe you have a "right" to an extra seat that you did not pay for... you are trying to do the same thing as the person who moved... trying to improve your seating arrangment.

What action did you expect the FA to take? To tell the person to move since you want an extra seat you did not pay for?

We all love having extra seats beside us... but we cannot go as far as expecting it if we did not pay for it.

Even as an elite member on UA, seat blocking happens in advance. But there is no guarantee of it still being blocked on day of flight. People can - and often - move during the pre flight, often at the FA's request.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Agree that there is no "right" to any neighbouring seats, etc. - this was more a question of how to approach this..
And there was still a seat in the middle... (didn't sit right next to me..)..
Thanks for the input...^
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
I had 2 different ticket agents argue with me when I wanted to buy an empty seat in coach. They both offered to block the seat for me for free, I insisted that I did not want it blocked, I wanted to buy it. This is an airline that charges insane prices for first class seats, but they think you're nuts for buying an inexpensive discounted empty seat in coach. Doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Agree with sitting in the aisle seat of three such seats; it does make it easier to protect them. If you need to move around you need to leave your mark by distributing stuff from your carry-on over all three seats.

It is very hard to so protect a row of four seats if you are on your own.

For a flight of an hour or four it may be a bit selfish; but as a oneworld Emerald I see it as an occasional perk for a longer flight.

Last year I flew from MEL-LAX with three seats so reserved; from which I was able to construct a 'bed' of sorts; sleeping with my knees bent. These were offered to me at check-in.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:48 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by Bobster
I had 2 different ticket agents argue with me when I wanted to buy an empty seat in coach. They both offered to block the seat for me for free, I insisted that I did not want it blocked, I wanted to buy it. This is an airline that charges insane prices for first class seats, but they think you're nuts for buying an inexpensive discounted empty seat in coach. Doesn't make sense.
Now... that is sad... I am amazed how difficult the airlines make it to take our money at times!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:13 pm
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by Bobster
That poses an interesting dilema. Can one pax get BPs for two seats on the same flight?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Pit
That poses an interesting dilema. Can one pax get BPs for two seats on the same flight?
Some airlines automatically cancel a ticket if you've two for the same flight.
Some airlines even cancel BOTH tickets.

- Il
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pit
Sure, just not under the same name. Many airlines will sell you a seat for Lastname/EXTRASEAT and let you have two next to each other. Most don't allow accrual of miles on the second seat, and certainly not to be credited to your primary account. CO is entertaining the idea of allowing the second seat to accumulate miles, but they haven't done it yet.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:27 pm
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure, just not under the same name. Many airlines will sell you a seat for Lastname/EXTRASEAT and let you have two next to each other. Most don't allow accrual of miles on the second seat, and certainly not to be credited to your primary account. CO is entertaining the idea of allowing the second seat to accumulate miles, but they haven't done it yet.
Dang, I was thinking this could be a great way to improve my MR yield.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pit
Yes. But not with the same name. The second BP has your last name and the first name is EXTRASEAT.

edit: Oops! I didn't see the question was answered.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey

I do not believe you have a "right" to an extra seat that you did not pay for... you are trying to do the same thing as the person who moved... trying to improve your seating arrangment.

What action did you expect the FA to take? To tell the person to move since you want an extra seat you did not pay for?

We all love having extra seats beside us... but we cannot go as far as expecting it if we did not pay for it.

Even as an elite member on UA, seat blocking happens in advance. But there is no guarantee of it still being blocked on day of flight. People can - and often - move during the pre flight, often at the FA's request.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.