Wiki Posts
Search

Car renting versus leasing...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Car renting versus leasing...

Has anyone ever leased a car for work and charged it back to a client?

I've been renting a car in Boston for the last few months and looks like I'll continue renting for the next 6+ months. It would be cheaper to just lease a car than to keep on renting. I'm actually in the market for a new car and am thinking about leasing a car, charging it to my client, and then, at the end of the project, driving it back to California.

Any comments on doing this? Seems like everyone wins (the client saves a few bucks on the rental and I get a new car).
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by skylane
It would be cheaper to just lease a car than to keep on renting. I'm actually in the market for a new car and am thinking about leasing a car, charging it to my client, and then, at the end of the project, driving it back to California.
Can't help on the general question, but if you do decide to go for it:

Make sure you get one with 50-states emmisions (*) but if you by some chance get one that doesn't have CA emissions you'll be hit with an obnoxiously high fee when you register it in California.

(* or California-specific emmisions, although that might be a problem since NY/MA have their own rules.)
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:24 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
The "smog impact fee" for bringing a non-California emissions compliant car into California is long gone.

However, non-California emissions compliant car must have at least 7500 miles on it to be registerable in California:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Several northeastern states have chosen to follow California emissions standards, so finding a California emissions compliant car in those states should not be too difficult, if you know to look for it. See the comparison of emissions compliance stickers here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
I'm on a long-term consulting gig, and for the past year I've "rented" a car from Avis by the month; in fact, Avis refers to this arrangement as a "mini-lease". My customer benefits because the monthly rental rate is the equivalent of about 2.5 weeks if I'd paid by the week, and I benefit in that (a) the insurance is included in the customer's AWD (Avis World Discount) number, and (b) I just park my car in the customer city's airport parking each weekend when I go home, and it's waiting for me when I return, and even with billing the parking back to my customer each week it still ends up cheaper each month. And I don't have to wonder about whether my car each week is going to be any good, or a dud (which, as most of y'all know around here, is usually a 50-50 shot these days)...in fact, I snagged an Impala with leather and XM, and I made it very clear (humorously, of course) to the local Avis fleet manager that "he ain't gettin' it back!"

By the way, this arrangement even works when I take an occasional week off...it's still cheaper longer term.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.