Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I have a question on those shuttle buses for airport hotels in the US. It seems quite common for people to tip 5 USD notes. For many airport hotels, a taxi fare would be similar, so I don't really see the purpose of this 'benefit' if such a large tip is expected. Also, if I am arriving from wherever, I usually won't have any US cash on me. Am I expected to withdraw cash from a cashpoint beforehand and then make a purchase to get change or is it okay not to tip them? I mean, will they expect a tip the same way restaurant workers in US would?
I've never tipped more than a buck or two on a shuttle, and even then, I often avoid tipping by handling my own bag (and sometimes have even skipped the tip even if the driver has lifted my bag into the vehicle for me...guess it just depends on my mood that day). I've never tipped a $5 and think that's well more than called for in that situation.

You're OK not to tip at all in that situation, though if you wish to, having one or two single dollar bills is perfectly adequate.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
I've never tipped more than a buck or two on a shuttle, and even then, I often avoid tipping by handling my own bag (and sometimes have even skipped the tip even if the driver has lifted my bag into the vehicle for me...guess it just depends on my mood that day). I've never tipped a $5 and think that's well more than called for in that situation.

You're OK not to tip at all in that situation, though if you wish to, having one or two single dollar bills is perfectly adequate.
This is the way we deal with it, particularly as we travel with rollaboards only, although I tend to give a friendly driver two bucks. OTOH if a driver were lifting several heavy bags in and out for me, I'd feel more "obliged" to have a couple of bucks handy, even if it's not mandatory. I'm always amazed at what some folks bring along for luggage.
jackal likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

United Kingdom
W/W: Up to 10% if no service charge; this latter is always stated on the bill at the bottom and is more common in London than elsewhere. Round off either above or below, and occasionally modify dependent on service standard. Small coins (under 20p) not considered appropriate. If it is not apparent from the cash offered whether change is required or not (e.g. bill is Ł17 and a Ł20 note is offered, a statement of "that's fine, thank you" confirms it.
I'm confused. If the bill is Ł17 and one offers Ł20 with no expectation of change, that is well over 17% tip, but the guideline is "up to 10%". What am I missing?
Old May 6, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by serpens
I'm confused. If the bill is Ł17 and one offers Ł20 with no expectation of change, that is well over 17% tip, but the guideline is "up to 10%". What am I missing?
It does seem a little contradictory, but don’t overthink it. The UK is a lot more fluid than the US with regards to tipping customs - many don’t tip (absolutely fine and no one gets angry), many tip more than 10% depending on the circumstance. The wiki tries to provide a guideline or “rule” even where no social rule exists, purely to give would-be visitors something to work with.
muji likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Not sure who added 10% as tipping for dining in Tanzania? Been living here for 10 years and this is definitely not true. The locals rarely tip when dining, and when they do often in the range TZS 1,000-3,000 (~USD 0.4-1.3) on say a $ 20-50 dinner. Don't think I've ever seen more than $ 5 tip, even on a $ 200 dinner.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:58 pm

Sometimes this thread is more a waiter’s wish list than the actual reality.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Sometimes this thread is more a waiter’s wish list than the actual reality.
Yes, there were actually, on one occasion, at least two posters to this thread who admitted they were "in the business" themselves
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Not sure who added 10% as tipping for dining in Tanzania? Been living here for 10 years and this is definitely not true. The locals rarely tip when dining, and when they do often in the range TZS 1,000-3,000 (~USD 0.4-1.3) on say a $ 20-50 dinner. Don't think I've ever seen more than $ 5 tip, even on a $ 200 dinner.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Feel free to edit the wiki to make it correct.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by User Name
Feel free to edit the wiki to make it correct.
Don't have the 90 posts yet that it takes to get permission to do so
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
The info for Australia was totally incorrect - previously stated "some people may tip 10% in fine restaurants" but this is not something that Australia actually encourages - media overage of restaurants encouraging this has resulted in incredibly hostile responses from the general public.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
In Italy, the bill stated "service not included." Surprised me because the manager specifically told me not to tip!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Does anyone have any suggestions for Solvenia?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Don't have the 90 posts yet that it takes to get permission to do so
Seems you just miss one, post that one, then update wiki, please
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by ducpham
Is there any state we don't need to tip?
Tipping is expected at restaurants everywhere in the U.S. - in all states.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ducpham
Thanks a lot for your tips.
I have a question. My English teacher said that in U.S.A, when she didn't tip for W/W, this person seems not happy and changed his/her behaviour intermediately. Is it true for some states in US or the whole country? Is there any state we don't need to tip???
As @muji indicated, yes, it's expected everywhere. American culture is fairly uniform and homogenous; there are some regional differences, but they're relatively small. For the most part, polite and expected behavior in one region of the US is the same as any other.

That said, one thing about your statement leaves me a little confused. You said your teacher said the waitstaff changed his/her behavior immediately after not tipping. That doesn't make a lot of sense, because in the US, tips are almost always not received by the waitstaff until the dining party has left the restaurant. If you tip in cash, you typically leave the money on the table as you depart. If you tip on your credit card, you typically write it on your receipt and leave it on the table, and the waitstaff doesn't collect it until after you leave. So I'm not sure how the waitstaff would know that you hadn't tipped until you've already left. (And any places where you order at the counter and are given the opportunity to tip up front are generally places where it's societally acceptable to not tip--like cafes or coffee shops or the like; tipping is common at those places but not universal, unlike sit-down restaurants where it is expected.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.