Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:24 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Cab driver - 10-15%; doorman $1-2; porters $2/bag; assistant manager $0. BTW - I hate the doorman & multiple porter thing.
I'd like to know how to wave them off without appearing rude. I'm really am quite capable of fetching my rollaboard from the trunk and pulling my rolling bag to the check-in desk and up to my room. If I needed "help" I'd have asked for it -- and paid happily paid for the privilege.
Old May 1, 2008, 2:38 am

Finland - taxi drivers

As mentioned by the OP you can round up. However, at least in Helsinki almost every one pays the taxi bill with a credit card (Amex, Visa, MasterCard, Diners) or a local bankcard so no extra tip is left and not expected. I would say that 95 % of taxis accept credit cards (not always all the cards). In one case I was asked if I could use another card than Amex because of the high comission charged by Amex.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I don't know if anyone mentioned Spain as yet, but 15% is normal in restaurants. Also, tips frequently cannot be added to credit card payment (at least in Sevilla), so have cash handy for the tip.
Old May 2, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: SPG: Plat; Amex: Plat.; Star Alliance: Gold, One World: Gold
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I don't know if anyone mentioned Spain as yet, but 15% is normal in restaurants. Also, tips frequently cannot be added to credit card payment (at least in Sevilla), so have cash handy for the tip.
Only if the service is NOT included.
Old May 3, 2008, 9:26 am

A mildly amusing and relevant article from the Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tips/grat...235036537.html

If it's Monday, it must be Belgium: so plan to leave 10 per cent on the brasserie plate. Tomorrow, in France, we'll do service compris, though a few euros more may reward an unlikely smile and a spurt of speed. Wednesday? Spain, where those who run restaurants themselves insist that 3 per cent or 4 per cent is quite enough. Thursday means Switzerland and you only need to round up the bill, whereupon Friday offers two choices to finish the week: fly to Denmark, where no extra at all is expected, or out to Argentina, where even the thought of it breaks the law. Welcome to the wonderfully wacky world of tipping.

The one bit I don't understand (about the article, about tipping I understand nothing) is the line about Argentina - is it saying that tipping is against the law. This must be a very new law.
Old May 18, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: Independent
The guides say tip $1 for a porter (UK). Now, does this mean I tip them the equivalent of 1$ (50p), or do I tip them 1 pound? And is it tacky to hand them a pound coin? It seems odd to give someone a coin as a tip.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: SPG: Plat; Amex: Plat.; Star Alliance: Gold, One World: Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
The guides say tip $1 for a porter (UK). Now, does this mean I tip them the equivalent of 1$ (50p), or do I tip them 1 pound? And is it tacky to hand them a pound coin? It seems odd to give someone a coin as a tip.
Difficult situation.
When I have only one bag I carry it myself.
Otherwise I agree that giving a coin feels odd.
Today one pound has equal shopping power in UK as one dollar has in US.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Cloudship
It seems odd to give someone a coin as a tip.
What do you do in Euroland? Always tip €5 (the smallest note)?

It feels more odd to me to leave a note as tip when in the US...

By the way, you could solve your problem by using 1Ģ notes from one of the Scottish banks.
Old May 26, 2008, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since the UK folk are used to coins, I have no problem w/ tipping w/ the coins vs notes. Same w/ Euros now that I think about it. Cheers.
Old May 26, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It's quite similar in Canada. No paper money under 5$. So giving a 1$ loonie or a 2$ toonie is very common, very well accepted.

JP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since the UK folk are used to coins, I have no problem w/ tipping w/ the coins vs notes. Same w/ Euros now that I think about it. Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: HH diamond(yr 16, >922 nights ), AA Gld for life (1MM),M&M FTL , Sixt platinum; IATA DTTF
tipping in Belgium

In restaurants in Belgium there is always a tax and service charge included in the total bill ; if service is really good one can leave 1 or 2 euro extra as a tip .
In bars/cafés the bill includes everything ( txes and tip ) .
In taxis , there is usually a sign to let the passengers know that taxes and tip are included in the total amount showing on the meter ; a little extra in small change is always appreciated but not obligatory.
In hotels I mostly give 1 euro per bag to the porter .
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:34 pm

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Spain, where those who run restaurants themselves insist that 3 per cent or 4 per cent is quite enough.

I was just in Barcelona 2 months ago, and my cousin (who has lived there all his life) was wailing on me for leaving 8-10% tips. He swore - in more senses than one - that 5% is the MAX to leave, generally less. Nothing at all is fine, too. I suppose that 10% would be OK in a very, very high-end restaurant, but my cousin disputes even this.

My last partner lives in Sydney and also was all over me about tipping. He insists that Australia takes enormous pride in being a "no tipping" society where everyone earns a living wage. When I traveled with him it was no tips in restaurants, hotels or taxis. Period.

I do have to admit that some countries confuse me -- I was in Argentina earlier this year and had absolutely no idea what to tip anyone. And I think I'm finally getting the hang of taxis in the UK, tho I still fumble when the meter comes to something like £8.60. Or £9 even. That's an easy tenner in the US, but it feels very awkward in London.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Horizons
I was just in Barcelona 2 months ago, and my cousin (who has lived there all his life) was wailing on me for leaving 8-10% tips. He swore - in more senses than one - that 5% is the MAX to leave, generally less. Nothing at all is fine, too. I suppose that 10% would be OK in a very, very high-end restaurant, but my cousin disputes even this.
Absolutly correct. In Spain you donīt tip with more than 5% or 10%. Spanish people leave even less than that.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
I lived in Hong Kong for a long time. Here is some advice: it is worthless to tip unless you hand the cash to your server. If you add anything to the credit card slips, the restaurant will keep all of it. Just like they do with any service charge they add to the bill. Which is why I would always slip the server a little somethin'-somethin' on the way out the door. They appreciate and remember that, and it serves you well the next time you're in the joint.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Finland

I should add that in general tipping is not usual in Finland.

As another poster said, if you pay cabs by CC, tips are not expected. If you pay by cash they are not expected either, it's totally up to you if you round up to the next euro.

Restaurants - normally no tipping at all. Bars, night-clubs - you may round up if you wish, tipping no expected. Doormen of same establsihments - if you are a regular, you may tip to ensure smooth sailing in the future, if you are just visiting, why bother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.