Reload this Page >

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:53 pm

In Canada (Toronto) you see on the Machine now 18/25/30 pretty commonly, and its after tax on the machine as well.

The rule of thumb is you don't have to tip for takeout (sometimes I do), or coffee. You tip at bars and restaurants and it really seems like 18% is considered an ok tip now which is nonsense really.

My wife used to work in bars and come home with $400 a night.

The service here is no better than back home in Australia, I wish they'd abolish tipping
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yes, I'm American but have lived away for some years. I'm personally pretty confused about things now, particularly counter service. I generally don't tip in those situations but is that no longer considered acceptable?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Yes, I'm American but have lived away for some years. I'm personally pretty confused about things now, particularly counter service. I generally don't tip in those situations but is that no longer considered acceptable?
Perfectly acceptable. Tipping for what service at the counter exactly? For handling the food to the customer?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Castoreum
What's the traditional tip on a taxi ride in Vegas? % or set #?

(Yes, I'm aware they're scammy, but between lyft's surge pricing and long waits in the summer heat if I know what a fair price to my destination is I'm willing to chance it to save time.)
I never tip on surge pricing when I know the regular cost of my ride. Driver gets a tip based on the regular cost of my ride.

dh
Old Dec 9, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM, MM
The standard "round up" advice seems to me to be increasingly obsolete (or problematic?) in an age in which most restaurant bills are paid via credit card. In the US, there's typically a space on the bill for adding a tip, but in Europe, you tap your card on the device, a receipt gets spit out, and that's that. I'm just back from two weeks in Italy, and I don't think I ever saw cash exchanged or left on the table. :-)
Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:34 am
Suspended

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to compile and share this comprehensive list, Sharon! It's incredibly helpful to have all of these tips and resources in one convenient place. Your efforts are truly appreciated, and I'm sure many people will benefit from your hard work. Great job!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.