Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
http://blog.sfgate.com/hawaii/2014/0...d=hp-hc-travel

"So here’s what the experts from the Maui Visitors and Convention Bureau recommend:

Airport porters: $5 per person, more for large/heavy bags
Taxi drivers: 15 percent of fare, more if they handle baggage
Hotel bellhops: $5 per person, more for large/heavy bags
Hotel housekeeping: $1-$2 per night
Other hotel staff: $1-$2 per service rendered (e.g. concierge desk, doormen)
Valet service: $2 plus parking fee
Restaurants: 15-20 percent of meal cost
Tips are also suggested/expected for activities—guided tours, snorkeling cruises, zipline tours, etc.—10-15 percent is often about right, depending on the cost of the excursion, or a minimum of $10 per person."
Visitors and Convention Bureaus exist to protect the tourism industry. Therefore, they tend to overstate the tipping norms, hoping to help their members save on wages. Most of these numbers look inflated to me.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:33 am

Bulgaria and Ukraine - restaurants and taxis

Does anyone have current information on tipping in Bulgaria and Ukraine - specifically in restaurants and taxis?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: QF
I don't know if anyone has posted this before but it's a pretty handy infographic.

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/ult...t-infographic/
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I don't know if anyone has posted this before but it's a pretty handy infographic.

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/ult...t-infographic/
This is nice when it comes to restaurants, but as the Wiki makes clear - tipping is just about restaurants. Israel is listed as 10-15%, but that would be 0% if talking about a taxi, for example
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:35 pm

Japan Tipping

I read post no. one. On my last trip there I did not tip in cash , rather praised the good service I received to the server's boss. Nice subdued smiles.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:02 pm

never tip in Australia or NZ !!!

[Lengthy quote, unnecessary to member's post, deleted by Moderator.]

You never ever need to tip in Australia or NZ. Anyone who says otherwise is being conned.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 17, 2014 at 9:30 am Reason: See note above.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by hurryupandslowdown
[Lengthy quote, unnecessary to member's post, deleted by Moderator.]

You never ever need to tip in Australia or NZ. Anyone who says otherwise is being conned.
Good to know. Australia and NZ are on my list. Someday.

I had put South and East Africa first but with what is happening don't see it till next year .
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:40 pm

The UK advice seems to be London based. In general tipping is not expected and many do not tip, and it would be very rare for someone to be challenged. For a tourist area outside London:

Hairdressers, barbers, beauticians: £1-£2 unless particularly complex or long.

W/W: 10% in high end restaurants. Not expected elsewhere but tip for exceptional service or if they have provided something special. In casual restaurants/gastropubs saying keep the change or rounding up is often done if service has been good. No tipping in cafés, fast food etc.

Pubs: Tips not expected but it is good manners to offer a drink by saying “and one for yourself” if you’ve been chatting or you have a big order, and not expect change. In this case the change is often taken rather than a tip. It is increasingly common in chain pubs for staff to refuse this as they are not allowed.

HP: rare outside London except in high end hotels. £1-£2 in total or politely refuse. In B&Bs, cottages and small boutique hotels help will often be offered out of politeness. The correct responses is “that’s fine, I’ll manage”.

Maids: Uncommon to leave tips in high-end properties unless special requests have been catered to/lots of mess. Up to £5 in this case. No tips expected elsewhere.

B&Bs: Common to leave a tip £10-£30 dependant on length of stay or a small gift (flowers/chocolates) if you’ve had significant personal contact with owner.

TD – Round up or offer to keep the change if it’s only a couple of quid.
Rambling guides/outdoor instructors/private boat pilots/private tour guides: £10-£50 in most cases e.g. if part of a big outdoor group of strangers £10, if given a personalised experience for whole day £50.

Group tour guides (e.g. with strangers) £3-£5 but not if it is a tour offered to all (e.g. at national trust properties).

Coach drivers: Quite common to have a ‘whip around’ particularly if it is one group on a coach - £2-£5 each family/couple. Otherwise £5 discretely passed to driver on way out (it is rude to give change in this situation so a note really should be used hence £5). Don’t tip on National Express/Mega bus type coaches which are public transport.

Theatre staff: No need to tip unless they proactively move you to better seats.

Bus drivers on public transport: common in the north (outside of major cities) and in rural areas to say thank you when getting off. Not strictly tipping but good etiquette.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by walkinthewoods
B&Bs: Common to leave a tip £10-£30 dependant on length of stay or a small gift (flowers/chocolates) if you’ve had significant personal contact with owner.

Rambling guides/outdoor instructors/private boat pilots/private tour guides: £10-£50 in most cases e.g. if part of a big outdoor group of strangers £10, if given a personalised experience for whole day £50.
These seem enormous. Have you misplaced a decimal point ?

Bus drivers on public transport: common in the north (outside of major cities) and in rural areas to say thank you when getting off. Not strictly tipping but good etiquette.
Possibly because, unlike the rest of the country, London buys its buses with the entrance by the driver but a separate exit towards the back. However, even here should you use the front door on the way out, saying Thank You is common.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by WHBM

They are based on my experience. For B&Bs I'm not talking about the run down Blackpool types, more the country B&B in the Peak District or Lake District, where you get a few personal touches. Based on the nightly cost which in my experience is between £60-£80 a night, £10 is less than a 10% tip for a weekend, and £30 is less than 10% for a week's stay. If leaving a tip I'd personally be embarrassed leaving less than a tanner.

As for the guide tips, I was lucky enough to work as an outdoor instructor for a while and have many friends still in the industry and so my figures are based on what I got and have heard others getting. My lowest package was just shy of £100 for doing an easy ramble for up to 3 people and I'd often get £10-£15 on top as a tip so around 10%. You can easily get £40-£50 when providing a bespoke climbing trip especially if multi-day.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
If I'd had significant personal contact with the owner then that'd be all the tip she'd need...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:28 pm

They are based on my experience. For B&Bs I'm not talking about the run down Blackpool types, more the country B&B in the Peak District or Lake District, where you get a few personal touches. Based on the nightly cost which in my experience is between £60-£80 a night, £10 is less than a 10% tip for a weekend, and £30 is less than 10% for a week's stay. If leaving a tip I'd personally be embarrassed leaving less than a tanner.

As for the guide tips, I was lucky enough to work as an outdoor instructor for a while and have many friends still in the industry and so my figures are based on what I got and have heard others getting. My lowest package was just shy of £100 for doing an easy ramble for up to 3 people and I'd often get £10-£15 on top as a tip so around 10%. You can easily get £40-£50 when providing a bespoke climbing trip especially if multi-day.
WOW ! This and your previous posts are enough to shy away from activities you were part of. More people invest in guide books for this very reason.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
WOW ! This and your previous posts are enough to shy away from activities you were part of. More people invest in guide books for this very reason.
We find good, local guides to be priceless.

Guide books have their place as well, and are sufficient for some destinations.

In Italy on our recent trip, we tipped 10 Euros (total) for the two of us for each guide. A couple of truly exceptional guides we tipped higher than that.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: BA
As for the guide tips, I was lucky enough to work as an outdoor instructor for a while and have many friends still in the industry.
Sorry, that doesn't make for a reliable and impartial source of advice for what foreign travellers should tip you or your friends, especially as we only learned this after challenging the quoted values as way over the top.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by WHBM

Possibly because, unlike the rest of the country, London buys its buses with the entrance by the driver but a separate exit towards the back. However, even here should you use the front door on the way out, saying Thank You is common.
Same in Sydney - however it's better to use the rear doors so as not to block passengers who are trying to enter while you exit. Here people tend to wave as they exit from the rear door. Five years ago in Sydney people would barely grunt at the driver while either boarding or leaving the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.