Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by BellaSantos View Post

Thank you for the information, but is it true that you are not required to give tips in China? I mean what if you really want to give a tip to a waiter for a nice service, is that allowed?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by keepaheadback
Thank you for the information, but is it true that you are not required to give tips in China? I mean what if you really want to give a tip to a waiter for a nice service, is that allowed?
What's wrong with a smile, eye contact and a genuine verbal expression of thanks? Remember most of the world has not simply replaced this with throwing money around.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by keepaheadback
Just don't.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jackal
Is this thread a candidate for the new wikipost functionality,
Do please see my note at post #361 above. A significant number of us have made points that the "recommendations" here are grossly misleading and sometimes plain wrong. Repeatedly through the thread the point is made by locals to those (almost entirely from the USA) that the various tipping recommendations are inappropriate, yet it seems there is this recurring desire to ram money down the throats of the local personnel, regardless.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by WHBM
Do please see my note at post #361 above. A significant number of us have made points that the "recommendations" here are grossly misleading and sometimes plain wrong. Repeatedly through the thread the point is made by locals to those (almost entirely from the USA) that the various tipping recommendations are inappropriate, yet it seems there is this recurring desire to ram money down the throats of the local personnel, regardless.
Which would make it all the more so a candidate for wiki. That could then be edited by everyone
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:14 am

Few days back I was in Vientiane with an ex-pat guy who was throwing his weight around with the locals. Before I could stop myself I said, "By the way, how much do they tip round here?"

The porters etc. walked away holding 5000 kip each, looking totally bewildered.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Which would make it all the more so a candidate for wiki. That could then be edited by everyone
Go for it. Select thread tools and create wiki post.

Then for each country link to the posts describing the country and summarise the advice
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: BA
Lengthy article by the BBC on tipping practices in the USA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22846846

Disappointing that they have fallen for the old stereotype that "all British are poor tippers". In my experience the majority who visit the USA are well aware of the traditions over there. It's like saying that those from the USA visiting the UK don't know that we drive on the left .......

I wonder if it's ever occurred to any of those who complain about tipping by those from overseas that we actually find US service standards nowadays distinctly lukewarm.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting chart (in addition to the article mentioned above, here) on the BBC:

Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
London's only so high because of the proliferation of restaurants the that have added an automatic service charge to the bill in recent years, surely. That's no way anywhere near an average for the UK as a whole.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by User Name
London's only so high because of the proliferation of restaurants the that have added an automatic service charge to the bill in recent years, surely. That's no way anywhere near an average for the UK as a whole.
When tipping in the uk 10% is common. However that's only if leaving a tip, which is fairly rare.

London isn't the uk obviously. It will have numbers skewed by American tourists where Inverness or Leeds wont
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: My travel agent
Would you mind releasing the acronyms W/W, P and TD? I simply can't believe I am the only one around here to whom they are not obvious.

Disclaimer: I haven't read all 26 pages of the thread.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
Would you mind releasing the acronyms W/W, P and TD? I simply can't believe I am the only one around here to whom they are not obvious.

Disclaimer: I haven't read all 26 pages of the thread.
I thought it was outlined in the original post, but I guess not. I always assumed W/W to be waiter/waitress, P to be porter, and TD to be taxi driver.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ana551
is there any guide for pakistan i want to visit pakistan
Ideally wouldn't.

My current Pakistan visa limits me to a single entry, maximum 15 days, and is valid for Islamabad only. Doesn't make one feel welcome.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:23 pm

I'd say that almost anywhere in Western Europe, it is perfectly acceptable not to tip at all in bars and most restaurants, or just to round up. My wife regularly criticises me for "over-tipping", yet I rarely reach 10% unless the service is extraordinary.

So 0 to 10% would tend towards the zero end of the scale.

China? Tip if you want, but make it clear what you are doing, otherwise most Chinese will assume that you've forgotten your change and come after you to give it back. They really don't expect it, outside the tourist traps.

The only country I can ever recall being made uncomfortable for (accidentally) not tipping in a restaurant is the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.