Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
I am sorry, but I think this thread has had its day and is no longer appropriate as a Sticky. None of the gross blunders which have been repeatedly reported by those local to various places have ever been corrected, nor have the absurdities of local tips being quoted in US (I presume) dollars, or any of the other nonsenses. Invariably the errors are ones of gross overtipping. I suggest we scrap it.
Don't you think it would be a better idea to edit and fix it (by one of the mods, if the OP is unwilling)?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by orthar
Don't you think it would be a better idea to edit and fix it (by one of the mods, if the OP is unwilling)?
Or has anyone tried sending a PM to the OP? Maybe she doesn't know there are updates requested. IME, the OP is just about the hardest-working FTer I've ever met or seen online.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:47 am

I think it warrants an update. I can suggest that in Spain it varies depending if you're in a café (you can leave without tipping), a restaurant with service charges (a small or no tip), or a restaurant without service charges. Probably around what the OP says. Of course even if you don't give a tip here, it's not the end of the world, there's not a big "tipping culture" here.

10% for a taxi, at least in Barcelona is usually way too much, I travel regularly in a taxi with a native and once with my father as a tourist. When the native tipped, she gave about 50 cents that was left from the change and the taxi gave the standard thanks, because it's the expected tip. When my dad tipped the 3€ from the 30€ for the same trip, the thanks was a lot more surprised and enthusiastic.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
[QUOTE=SkiAdcock;8442613]
Cayman Islands
W/W: 15% if no service charge
P: $1 per bag
TD: 10%

W/W: OK
P: OK
TD: None ( or if you really need round up)

Cab is expensive and there are no meters to show real price. That`s why you`ll be ripped off in any case...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:24 am

A very helpful thread indeed. i'd like to add in a small piece of information on tipping to safari tour guides. People going on safaris must be aware that their guides would expect tips from them, its a major source of their income actually
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by dliber2001
No need to tip in Taiwan at a restaurant
That's not quite accurate.

It's true there's no culture of tipping for dining or in general in Taiwan. However, some restaurants will automatically bill the customers for service charges (10% to 20%), which would be considered tips in Taiwan. The restaurants will specify the terms and put that in writing on the menu.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by dliber2001
When in Thailand it is important to meet and be friendly to the Concierge desk. They are a form of protection and will help you. Tip well and be friendly. If you are polite kind and tip about 100-150 baht, they will provide good service and not cheat you. They will guide you in the right direction.
I am curious. For the purpose of bringing clarity to the thread, what types of hotel are we talking about in Thailand where it might be a good idea to "tip" (if this is still an appropriate use of the word) the concierge to help make sure that they don't cheat you and will offer you "protection". (If you could explain "protection" that would be good too).

I take it we are not talking about Marriott, Starwood et al here...

Also are you talking about Bangkok, or are you including elsewhere in the country too?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
FRANCE:

My college French professor was adamant: leave the small coins, take the rest. Basically, it's a rounding up, and it could even be done to the half-euro these days. Very rarely you'll get an "addition" with "Service non compris" on it, in which case add 15% like here. But it's rare--maybe 1% of the cases.

ITALY:
Same thing. If your bill is even, you don't really have to leave anything, although I sometimes do (50 cents or 1 euro, no matter how much the bill) because they've come to expect Americans to be Daddy Warbucks.
just to confirm. when we have a 400-500 euro dinner, we leave a couple small coins in france and italy??

moderators, can't someone figure out how to sort this thread by continent/sub continent?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
moderators, can't someone figure out how to sort this thread by continent/sub continent?
Are you volunteering to do the work?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by slawecki
just to confirm. when we have a 400-500 euro dinner, we leave a couple small coins in france and italy??
You leave nothing in France unless you want to. French waiters get a percentage of the menu price on whatever you buy.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:52 am

Thank you for the information, but is it true that you are not required to give tips in China? I mean what if you really want to give a tip to a waiter for a nice service, is that allowed?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stifle
French waiters get a percentage of the menu price on whatever you buy.
This is very interesting, I had no idea.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by BellaSantos
Thank you for the information, but is it true that you are not required to give tips in China? I mean what if you really want to give a tip to a waiter for a nice service, is that allowed?
You probably should stop by our China Forum. I am sure our resident FTers will be more than happy to discuss any of your particular scenarios.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I'm just stopping by here and I can tell you that those values for Spain are outrageously high. I would probably never tip a porter, but maybe 50c if he really did some work. With taxis I don't know many people that tip, but I just ask for change to the next euro out of pure laziness.

In restaurants many Spaniards don't leave tips at all, and then maybe rounding up to the next euro. Leaving one or two more if the service was exceptional. It has almost nothing to do with the original price of the meal, so don't even think in % terms. I would absolutely never tip at any restaurant in a tourist area unless I know the people, they are already overcharging, why give them even more of your money.

I guess the guide on the front page will make you popular with the tourism workers though.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this thread a candidate for the new wikipost functionality, or is that too likely to get abused with endless back-and-forth edits?

I think there's a good chance it could be handled responsibly. SkiAdcock, would you be up for moving your post #1 into the wiki so you didn't have to continually maintain it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.