Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jackal
New Yorkers will leave a bit more and trend towards 25% for excellent service).
I'm always bemused about these comments about high percentages for "excellent service" in the USA, of all countries. Does it really exist anywhere there any more ? And as for existing in Manhattan, of all places, well .......
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Is there any consensus on whether tips should be calculated on the tax-inclusive or pre-tax total?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by stifle
Is there any consensus on whether tips should be calculated on the tax-inclusive or pre-tax total?
Pre-tax--always.

Many New Yorkers I know use the trick of doubling the tax to figure the tip (i.e. if tax was $10, tip would be $20). That trick also works in many other locales in the US but not all, such as in Pennsylvania, where the 6% tax doubled would equal 12%, which is too low.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: My travel agent
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. Anyone have this book?
http://www.bradtguides.com/Book/217/...n-Tipping.html
Seems useful.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: QFF WP
Pre-tax--always.

Many New Yorkers I know use the trick of doubling the tax to figure the tip (i.e. if tax was $10, tip would be $20). That trick also works in many other locales in the US but not all, such as in Pennsylvania, where the 6% tax doubled would equal 12%, which is too low.
We are currently visiting Montreal and were given the same advice by the concierge at the hotel (tax = 15% here). It seems most of the portable EFTPOS (=credit/debit card machines for non-Australians) machines here have a function that calculates the tip as a percentage, which in theory should make things easier.

However, I have noticed, that they calculate this percentage on the inc-tax total not the ex-tax total. Sneaky.

(Yet another reason to add to my list of why I hate compulsory tipping.)
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drsmithy
We are currently visiting Montreal and were given the same advice by the concierge at the hotel (tax = 15% here). It seems most of the portable EFTPOS (=credit/debit card machines for non-Australians) machines here have a function that calculates the tip as a percentage, which in theory should make things easier.

However, I have noticed, that they calculate this percentage on the inc-tax total not the ex-tax total. Sneaky.

(Yet another reason to add to my list of why I hate compulsory tipping.)
The Canadian GST and the Quebec QST are both value-added, which I believe means they are built-in to the price and not broken out separately. Thus, it's rather difficult to calculate the pre-tax price on which to tip.

I'm not a fan of mandatory gratuity, either (although I can understand it in the case of a large group). However, I would be at least as annoyed with not being able to keep my government in check by transparently seeing how much they are collecting from me.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
The Canadian GST and the Quebec QST are both value-added, which I believe means they are built-in to the price and not broken out separately.
GST/HST/PST are value-added taxes, but not built-in to the price.

General rule for a 15% tip is now GST(5%)*3. Since the last tax rate hike in Quebec, tipping the tax is OK, as well as inputting 13% (post-tax, ~15% pre-tax) on the card machine.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baby_tux
GST/HST/PST are value-added taxes, but not built-in to the price.

General rule for a 15% tip is now GST(5%)*3. Since the last tax rate hike in Quebec, tipping the tax is OK, as well as inputting 13% (post-tax, ~15% pre-tax) on the card machine.
Ah, been awhile since I had poutine at midnight in YUL. Plus, I was too tired to look at my receipt all that closely.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: QFF WP
The Canadian GST and the Quebec QST are both value-added, which I believe means they are built-in to the price and not broken out separately. Thus, it's rather difficult to calculate the pre-tax price on which to tip.

I'm not a fan of mandatory gratuity, either (although I can understand it in the case of a large group). However, I would be at least as annoyed with not being able to keep my government in check by transparently seeing how much they are collecting from me.
Every single receipt/bill I got while we were there had the ex-tax price, both components of the GST and a grand total.

I would have assumed that this breakdown is required by law (it certainly is in Australia).

You've also touched on another aspect of visiting North America that drives me bonkers - display prices ex-tax. Personally I find the "transparency" argument against is unconvincing, to say the least. It seems to be somewhat random whether or not the inc- or -ex-tax price is advertised in Canada.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by drsmithy
You've also touched on another aspect of visiting North America that drives me bonkers - display prices ex-tax. Personally I find the "transparency" argument against is unconvincing, to say the least. It seems to be somewhat random whether or not the inc- or -ex-tax price is advertised in Canada.
Understood. Taxes can vary greatly from one jurisdiction to another. One commodity here on which all taxes are included is gasoline.

When we lived in Canada the GST replaced a "hidden" tax at the manufacturing level and our Member of Parliament blamed the destruction of the party that established it on the fact that they didn't hide the new tax.

In summary, as a resident I'm all for the transparency as a reminder of the "bite" the government takes, but I do understand your frustration.

And now back to our regularly scheduled posting...
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I would update OP not to tip taxi drivers in Israel.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:53 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a guide to whether in certain countries, tips are customary; and, if so, the basis and amount of the custom. Let's keep this thread useful for the many who are planning trips to various countries. That is why it is a "sticky".

The thread is not meant to duplicate or cross-post philosophical discussions of whether tipping is a proper activity economically or morally or should be done. Off-topic and/or cross-posted posts have been deleted. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
FRANCE:

My college French professor was adamant: leave the small coins, take the rest. Basically, it's a rounding up, and it could even be done to the half-euro these days. Very rarely you'll get an "addition" with "Service non compris" on it, in which case add 15% like here. But it's rare--maybe 1% of the cases.

ITALY:
Same thing. If your bill is even, you don't really have to leave anything, although I sometimes do (50 cents or 1 euro, no matter how much the bill) because they've come to expect Americans to be Daddy Warbucks.

I don't know where this "tip 10% in Europe" thing comes from. I see it in guidebooks all the time, but they're all written by Americans. If you watch the natives at the next table, see what they do. Lots of times, they leave nothing.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
As far as I know, menu prices in France include service charge normally.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: BA
The purpose of this thread is to serve as a guide to whether in certain countries, tips are customary; and, if so, the basis and amount of the custom. Let's keep this thread useful for the many who are planning trips to various countries. That is why it is a "sticky".

The thread is not meant to duplicate or cross-post philosophical discussions of whether tipping is a proper activity economically or morally or should be done.
and
I don't know where this "tip 10% in Europe" thing comes from. I see it in guidebooks all the time, but they're all written by Americans. If you watch the natives at the next table, see what they do. Lots of times, they leave nothing.
I am sorry, but I think this thread has had its day and is no longer appropriate as a Sticky. None of the gross blunders which have been repeatedly reported by those local to various places have ever been corrected, nor have the absurdities of local tips being quoted in US (I presume) dollars, or any of the other nonsenses. Invariably the errors are ones of gross overtipping. I suggest we scrap it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.