FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   UA1536 ORD-MCO: Mother changes diaper next to me! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/736157-ua1536-ord-mco-mother-changes-diaper-next-me.html)

United737522 Sep 14, 2007 1:39 pm

UA1536 ORD-MCO: Mother changes diaper next to me!

Yesterday ORD to MCO, I was seated in E+ next to a mother and her child of probably only a few months. Well, about an hour into flight, a foul odor filled the area. I was eating my minimeal snackbox. With the seat belt sign off, and the mother reaching for her diaper bag, I was relieved that she was quickly taking care of the situation.

Then she put the middle tray table down and moved her drink to the middle. She then placed her baby on her tray table and to the horror of myself and other pax across the row, proceeded to change the diaper right there! The smell was awful. I wanted to barf. She taped up the poopy diaper and set it on the seat between us. The used wipes were placed on top one by one. She was in no kind of a hurry to get this done.

I was sooo upset. I wanted to say something, but what COULD I say? It was so gross. I could not eat anymore. I wanted the flight to end. She never stood up to rid of the dirty diaper. Instead she ringed the call button and tried handing it to the FA who said she would be right back. I think the FA was a little shocked.

How can a person be so inconsiderate of those around her? She never wiped the tray table. I feel so sorry for whoever eats off that tray in the future. That's just so gross to me.

pinniped Sep 14, 2007 1:48 pm

goalie Sep 14, 2007 1:50 pm

i would have very politely asked the pax to change her child in the lav and if she didn't i would ring my f/a call button and have the f/a politely ask her.

thebug622 Sep 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 8404486)
i would have very politely asked the pax to change her child in the lav and if she didn't i would ring my f/a call button and have the f/a politely ask her.

Ditto.

Eastbay1K Sep 14, 2007 2:23 pm

Sounds like Ted was about to vomit!

J-M Sep 14, 2007 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by United737522 (Post 8404411)
I was sooo upset. I wanted to say something, but what COULD I say? It was so gross. I could not eat anymore. I wanted the flight to end. She never stood up to rid of the dirty diaper. Instead she ringed the call button and tried handing it to the FA who said she would be right back. I think the FA was a little shocked.

For starters, you could tell her that she is inconsiderate and unsanitary and then you could tell her that she needs to do those things in the lav. Another fine excuse for a "parent"... :rolleyes:

hondsps Sep 14, 2007 2:53 pm

I would have offered to help her, and helped her dispose of the dirty diaper. Have you guys never seen, smelled, or been around poop before? This is not the first thread about diaper changes.

obscure2k Sep 14, 2007 2:54 pm

This topic has been covered ad nauseum here and elsewhere. No reason for another thread.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator