Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where to exchange Canadian coins for US coins?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to exchange Canadian coins for US coins?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:35 pm
B1

After the OP donates this batch, he should think about not piling on coins up here. I make a point of spending them. For sure, $10 of coins could have been converted to a paper $10 at any store in YUL or to US$ at a currency exchange. If I go to the US, I don't accumulate more than a few dollars in US coins - I watch not to break bills unless it is necessary. $10 is your tuition and the donation is a good thing. BTW it feels a lot better with a 96 cents C$ than it did at 62 cents when I travel but it sure is not good for exports and manufacturing. Not that you asked.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Originally Posted by xamsx
I bet 1/2 the pennies in circulation in this area are US, 1/2 are Canadian.
What did you expect, as US pennies are manufactured in Winnipeg, Manitoba?

Originally Posted by B1
BTW it feels a lot better with a 96 cents C$ than it did at 62 cents when I travel but it sure is not good for exports and manufacturing. Not that you asked.

But Canadian consumer prices haven't dropped to compensate yet. It almost makes it worth driving to Buffalo just to go shopping again. How long has it been since that was actually good value?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:54 am

Thumbs up canadian coins

I had the Canadian one and two dollar coins, and went to several banks, yet they would not exchange them, only paper bills.

I went to a coin dealer, sold some of my old silver coins, and he offered me 75cents/dollar for the Canadian coins. I thought it was worth it since I saved time and gas driving around trying to find what to do with the coins.

I'll remember not to take any coins home from any nation, since banks will not accept them for redemption, only the paper currency.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAORDFLYER
I recently returned to Chicago from Montreal with about $40 Canadian in bills, and about $10.00 in coins. My bank, Chase, exchanged the bills but would not take the coins. I also tried to exchange the coins at one of the currency exchanges at ORD but no luck.

Anyone know where the coins can be exchanged?
I learned the same lesson as you on my trip to YUL back in '08; when I returned earlier this year in '10, I systematically began dumping my CAD coins via purchases the last 2 days of my trip, culminating in dumping all but literally a few pennies at YUL Airport at the food vendors and newsstands awaiting my departing flight. The cashiers at the airport were very understanding as I was counting them out one by one...apparently they've seen this movie before.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:02 pm

Here in downstate NY I always see CAD coins mixed with US coins when receiving change from the cashier.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Any recent experience of an option to exchange Canadian coins at JFK, by any chance?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:49 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
In high school, I was working at a bakery when a customer gave a US $1 bill, and a Canadian quarter to pay for an item that cost $1.10. I gave her back a Canadian dime and nickle and she complained about them being Canadian; my response was "so was the quarter you gave me". She was po'd and my manager though it was pretty funny. She left with her Canadian change.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:05 pm

I always make a point to save one of each coin/banknote from each country I visit to bring back for my collection at home.

On a similar note, I left the Maldives recently with far too much Ruffeia banknotes, and I haven't been able to find anywhere that will accept it for exchange. (Though I think I might be able to find a place in HK that will do it)
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I have a colleague that will put her coins on a Starbucks gift card. That gift card is linked to her account, and you can move money between gift cards at no exchange rate. I haven't tried it yet, but she is US, CAN, UK and AUS on her account.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I keep my coins until I return to the US..

If I forget to bring them, I don't stress about it.. I just get more coins.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
This is illegal.

If you drive, use the last bit to buy gas. If you fly, either convert as much of it to paper or use the coins to buy a newspaper or meal.
How is it illegal if a merchant accepts a Canadian coin at face value? Same goes for the Bahamian coins we find occasionally in our change here in Florida.

The only place I've ever had an issue using Canadian coins is vending machines. Stupid magnetic coins...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:05 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by realjd
How is it illegal if a merchant accepts a Canadian coin at face value? Same goes for the Bahamian coins we find occasionally in our change here in Florida.

The only place I've ever had an issue using Canadian coins is vending machines. Stupid magnetic coins...
Do they knowingly accept a Canadian coin at face value (meaning will you say "hey, here's a Canadian quarter that is only worth US$0.23, will you still take it as if it were $0.25), or is it knowingly (to the customer) mixed in w/ the rest of the payment in hopes that you can sneak one by the cashier?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
This is illegal.

If you drive, use the last bit to buy gas. If you fly, either convert as much of it to paper or use the coins to buy a newspaper or meal.
There's nothing illegal about a merchant accepting foreign currency as payment for services.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by realjd

Originally Posted by Palal
There's nothing illegal about a merchant accepting foreign currency as payment for services.
Nothing illegal, but it could be an employee oversight that is against internal corporate rules..
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:18 pm

There's nothing illegal about a merchant knowingly accepting foreign currency; it's common in border towns.

The questionable act is passing off foreign currency as US currency. IMHO, doing this knowingly is no different than deliberately short-changing a cashier and hoping they won't notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.