Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you roll your eyes at "domestic travellers"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you roll your eyes at "domestic travellers"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question Do you roll your eyes at "domestic travellers"?

I was speaking to this lady at lunch today and the topic of travel came up.

She mentioned how much she travels and can't wait to get on a plane again. At this point I was all eager to be enthralled by some tales of foreign adventure. However, she starts going on and on about BOS, MIA, NYC, SFO, etc. By this point I'm getting bored, and asked her about any travels outside of the US. She replies "Oh no, I don't even have a passport".

After hearing that I'm in my mind. Now I'm not knocking her for not going outside the US, but to start talking about how much she "travels" is a bit much.

Am I the only one who defines travel as going to a destination outside of your home culture?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Am I the only one who defines travel as going to a destination outside of your home culture?
There are lots of places in the US that are "outside my home culture".
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:35 pm

My New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary's first definition of "travel" is: "Go from one place to another; make a journey, especially of some length or abroad". Although going abroad is part of the "esp." clause, it's certainly not required. Even my 12 minute drive from home to work this morning qualifies as 'going from one place to another'.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:37 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I rolled my eyes once when I was transferring through SFO, from EWR, on my way to SYD, and overheard a woman telling her companion she hoped she would survive the long flight to Chicago...

I have to remember sometimes that for some more grounded/normal people, a single international trip is a big deal, like only a few times in their life. Versus once a month for me.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:40 pm

I roll my eyes at people who drive 12 hours because they are afraid of planes. *cough* sister-in-law and her family *cough*.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by gj83
I roll my eyes at people who drive 12 hours because they are afraid of planes. *cough* sister-in-law and her family *cough*.
Thanks for my first smile of a long day.

Will
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by TA
I rolled my eyes once when I was transferring through SFO, from EWR, on my way to SYD, and overheard a woman telling her companion she hoped she would survive the long flight to Chicago...

I have to remember sometimes that for some more grounded/normal people, a single international trip is a big deal, like only a few times in their life. Versus once a month for me.
Although I don't travel internationally once a month, I fly trans pac every three month or so.
I can say that when my upgrade doesn't clear, I worry about how I will survive long flight from JFK to LAX/SFO.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:57 pm
Suspended

"There are lots of places in the US that are "outside my home culture"."

Very true. I've been to a few red states. It's scary.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
A lot of flyers on FT who travel overseas usually are those who are fortunate enough to be in occupation that allows for it.In asian cultures, it is inbuilt into workers and young people that it is a rare privilege to travel and should be cherished.
AFAIK,east coast culture is different from west coast culture and even though English is the spoken language, you find accents from Mid-west different from Californians and from New Yorkers.Im told a lot of newscasters actually originate from the region surrounding wisconsin due to clean accents.I see the point of diversity within USA.henceforth, i would consider interstate travel esp those in the opening post being that of similar overseas travel.

I am not from the USA so essentially, going INTL involves a shorter amount of miles than compared to a US citizen. Money and opportunities aside, it would appear "berating" and "scornful" to put someone down especially based on the points raised.

Last edited by trekkie; Aug 15, 2007 at 7:21 pm
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:04 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Say what? Do 200,000+ BIS domestic miles in a year and see if that qualifies as "travel".
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
...Am I the only one who defines travel as going to a destination outside of your home culture?
Probably.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I don't roll my eyes at purely domestic travellers - but I do pity purely domestic USA flyers. I love flying, because for a dozen years it was on international airlines where service still exists. After I started flying domestically in the USA regularly last year, I don't look forward to flights anymore unless they're international.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, VX Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by auh2o

Say what? Do 200,000+ BIS domestic miles in a year and see if that qualifies as "travel".
I do about 120k domestic BIS per year, and I'd say it qualifies as "work". When conversation turns to how much I travel, all the interesting stories involve crossing an ocean (which happens at most twice a year for me ).
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
blue states even scarier

Originally Posted by thegeneral
"There are lots of places in the US that are "outside my home culture"."

Very true. I've been to a few red states. It's scary.
I've been to a few blue states. Even scarier, especially when I'm hit with their taxes
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:19 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
There are lots of places in the US that are "outside my home culture".
Most of the US is "outside my home culture"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.