FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Road Trip Suggestions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/723466-road-trip-suggestions.html)

Wainwright Aug 8, 2007 10:45 pm

Road Trip Suggestions

Mods, please feel free to move this if you feel it is posted in the wrong spot.

Ok, I am asking all the FTers out there for suggestions on sights to see while moving. Next Wednesday (Aug 15) I am starting a 4 day drive from San Diego to Albuquerque to Tulsa to Chicago to South Bend. Since I will be going it alone, I was looking to all you road warriors for suggestions of things to see that would break up the drive. Thanks.

- Wainwright

oklAAhoma Aug 8, 2007 10:53 pm

You haven't stated any particular interests, so I have no idea if museums ar what you have in mind, but as you pass through Oklahoma City you will drive right by both the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum and the National Softball Hall of Fame and Museum.

Edited to add: You'll also drive right past THE AMERICAN QUARTER HORSE HERITAGE CENTER & MUSEUM on I-40 in Amarillo.

deubster Aug 9, 2007 5:17 am

I assume you're heading north to I40 pretty quickly. If so, you can hit the Grand Canyon. Or, if you've seen it, go north at Flagstaff and turn east at Tuba City past Second Mesa and Keams Canyon. Turn north on 191 to Canyon de Chelly National Monument, on to 4 corners.

As an alternative, turn SE at Flagstaff for the short trip down Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona - spectacular scenery.

If that's too much off track, east of Flagstaff are 2 sights not very far from the interstate: the giant crater (remember Starman with Jeff Bridges?), and Petrified Forest National Park.

At Albuquerque, driving to the top of Sandia Peak is fairly nice. Get some relief from the heat.

You could go scuba diving at the Blue Hole - a spring-fed sinkhole with great depth and water clarity in Santa Rosa, NM. Only about a minute off I40.

nd_eric_77 Aug 9, 2007 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Wainwright (Post 8200401)
Mods, please feel free to move this if you feel it is posted in the wrong spot.

Ok, I am asking all the FTers out there for suggestions on sights to see while moving. Next Wednesday (Aug 15) I am starting a 4 day drive from San Diego to Albuquerque to Tulsa to Chicago to South Bend. Since I will be going it alone, I was looking to all you road warriors for suggestions of things to see that would break up the drive. Thanks.

- Wainwright

Hey, are you a domer? GO IRISH!!! If you wanna stop at a nice place to overnight in Tulsa, the Southern Hills Marriott has an IBM rate of $76 / night (never been asked for company ID). You know what is crazy... I just was on a project in TUL for 11 months yet cannot think of anything to recommend seeing / doing there. hmm...

Wainwright Aug 9, 2007 9:35 am

Thanks to all three.

Museums are always good, as are parks/monuments, or even awesome local places of interest. I was mainly looking for things relatively close to the freeway (the 40). As yet the only thing I have planned is a stop for lunch at the Grand Canyon. Otherwise, I have seen most of California, and a lot from Chicago out east. I have never been anywhere in between. All I have seen of that land, is the view from a plane.

3timesalady Aug 9, 2007 9:35 am

i think there are a lot of opps to get onto route 66 for your itinerary... there is a lot of kitschy americana to be seen there, i think.

Wainwright Aug 9, 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77 (Post 8201592)
Hey, are you a domer?

As of next week...yes. ND for grad school. :D

zac Aug 9, 2007 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Wainwright (Post 8202445)
Thanks to all three.

Museums are always good, as are parks/monuments, or even awesome local places of interest. I was mainly looking for things relatively close to the freeway (the 40). As yet the only thing I have planned is a stop for lunch at the Grand Canyon. Otherwise, I have seen most of California, and a lot from Chicago out east. I have never been anywhere in between. All I have seen of that land, is the view from a plane.

This place is different. :) And right off of 40 on your way east!

http://www.meteorcrater.com/index.php

Wainwright Aug 18, 2007 8:21 pm

Ok, here is what happened. I stopped at the south rim of the grand canyon, meteor crater, and Oklahoma City Memorial. Then I added a stay in Chicago for fun. To those who made suggestions, thanks. The crater was pretty cool...not something you see everyday. Unfortunately I got into New Mexico too late to do anything there...oh well. Off to explore South Bend...

--Wainwright

moman Aug 19, 2007 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Wainwright (Post 8255597)
Ok, here is what happened. I stopped at the south rim of the grand canyon, meteor crater, and Oklahoma City Memorial. Then I added a stay in Chicago for fun. To those who made suggestions, thanks. The crater was pretty cool...not something you see everyday. Unfortunately I got into New Mexico too late to do anything there...oh well. Off to explore South Bend...

--Wainwright

Sounds like a cool road trip!

thegeneral Aug 19, 2007 9:17 am

The drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon is probably the nicest drive I've ever done. You could duck into Sedona and then use the back roads to head to Flagstaff. The scenery changes ever 15 minutes as the climate changes due to the altitude.

oklAAhoma Aug 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8257234)
The drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon is probably the nicest drive I've ever done. You could duck into Sedona and then use the back roads to head to Flagstaff. The scenery changes ever 15 minutes as the climate changes due to the altitude.

The OP probably won't be ducking into Sedona any time soon, since he's already in Indiana.