Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why is London always a hot destination for corporate/business travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Really! I know we've got heavy industries of automobiles, wineries and cosmetics for countries such as France and Germany. But for London, I really have a tough time seeing what type of industry or anything that lures people to make frequent business trips there for corporate assignment and thus causes airlines to offer a large amount of first & business class seats for that route to fit the needs of those type of travelers.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Check out some of the companies listed in the FTSE 250. And you'll have your answer.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
As stated above it is a key financial center.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Partly it is a matter of tradition. London was the centre of the British Empire, with far flung outposts, and acted as a major trading hub. It has also been a very stable country; no revolutions, no invasions, limited corruption, etc... All of which is very popular for headquarters, especially financial ones. Once you've developed into a hub for a particular industry, keeping it up can be a self-perpetuating prophecy. Top stars move to that location to make it, and once they succeed, help attract the next crop of stars. Success breeds success.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:21 pm
Suspended

English speaking city
financial center
largest city of the country and one of the major EU countries
prostitution? isn't it legal?
lots of flights (why some companies locate in Dallas)
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA, UA
Two major financial centres in one city?
More money changing hands in London than any other city on earth?

..Although I say that, if the evening papers today are anything to go by, the crapness of Heathrow is going to start hurting, as more and more business travellers are feeling to avoid London just because of the thought of having to use the airport.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I'm in the insurance business and, although my company HQ Is in Zurich, we have a major office in London and my boss is based there. London has always been a major center for insurance and reinsurance.

As for LHR, I'm glad it's hitting the evening papers. It's such an ordeal that my husband and I no longer travel to or through there on vacations.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by seat 50J
What?

Or are you referring to the financial services sector again...
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Athena53
It's such an ordeal that my husband and I no longer travel to or through there on vacations.
Same here. And believe me, that's a lot harder when you live in SE England.

However, it does allow you to relax, rediscover more local destinations, slow down, and remember just how pleasant train travel can be.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by Jalinth
Partly it is a matter of tradition. London was the centre of the British Empire, with far flung outposts, and acted as a major trading hub. It has also been a very stable country; no revolutions, no invasions, limited corruption, etc... All of which is very popular for headquarters, especially financial ones. Once you've developed into a hub for a particular industry, keeping it up can be a self-perpetuating prophecy. Top stars move to that location to make it, and once they succeed, help attract the next crop of stars. Success breeds success.
Ummmmmm...what about the English Civil War and the American Revolution (we were revolting against Great Britain)?

London profits greatly from the fact that it is the main English-speaking EU city, which makes it very attractive for American companies that want to do business with Europe.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: WorldPerks Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
Ummmmmm...what about the English Civil War and the American Revolution (we were revolting against Great Britain)?

London profits greatly from the fact that it is the main English-speaking EU city, which makes it very attractive for American companies that want to do business with Europe.
I don't recall the American revolution being fought in London, but maybe my memory is failing me. However, I would say that WWII had a drastic effect on the British economy.

London is home to many more companies than just American ones. Luckily, the British Empire consisted of much more than just America, or it wouldn't have been much of an empire at all. Knowing how my company operates, if it were signifacantly more strategic or profitable to have an office in, say, Paris or Berlin, they wouldn't chose London just because of ease of language. Most execs at our (and I would venture to say most) European offices speak fluent English anyway. Long story short, I think it's more than just language.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by seat 50J
Selling sexual services from a place where only you operate (ie a one-bed flat) is legal. Selling sexual services from a place where 2+ women work is illegal. Paying for sex is legal. Driving around the streets slowly looking for women to pick up is illegal. Visiting a woman in a Soho / Shepherd Market 'walk up' is legal. Typical UK confusion ....
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast

London profits greatly from the fact that it is the main English-speaking EU city,.
Then why do I hardly ever meet any English speaking people there?

When in London I often feel I'm the only Englishman in the city on the day I'm there - it's now such a multi culutural, multi ethnic melting pot
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Then why do I hardly ever meet any English speaking people there?
Perhaps you've been spending too much time in Chinatown?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All supported by about 15 years continuous growth, largely outstripping the rates seen in the rest of Western Europe which have built on London's great mercantile tradition.

Plus 2 of the major oil companies have their sole or joint offices in London.

And the Uk has a very generous tax structure for high wealth non-residents making it a magnet for them...and where they go more money flows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.