Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. passport renewal overseas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
U.S. passport renewal overseas

I need to renew my U.S. passport. The embassy in London claims on their web site that it can be done in 15 working days. Is this accurate or does the current backlog mean it will take longer?

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...s/renewal.html
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, HH
I just did mine the beginning of July through the Embassy. I sent it off on the 6th, it arrived on the 7th or 9th - couldn't tell due to the stupid RM website. They hit my card on the 9th, and it was printed on the 10th. Arrived back to me on the 17th via Special Delivery - I did enclose the envelope as asked. Not sure how the postal strikes might affect things, but I took the chance since I didn't need it right away.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:52 pm

It's not a difficult procedure and turnaround is relatively quick.

Recently in Angola many US citizens having even been getting interim second passports within 10 days, as Angola immigration has been sequestering primary passports for months at a time for work visa processing.

M8
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:36 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It really is that quick (at least when I did it in Feb 07). Make sure to follow the instructions about special delivery mail and enclosing a return special delivery prepaid envelope. The reason it is processed so quickly is that the embassy staff evaluate and approve the renewal on the spot, and it's electronically sent to the passport agency for production, and then put on the next diplomatic bag back to London. It really is the fastest way these days.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by TA
It really is the fastest way these days.
Sshh. Don't let the secret out, or it won't be fast for long!
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Update:

1 Aug: sent application
2 Aug: application delivered to embassy
3 Aug: credit card transaction entered; passport issued
11 Aug: new passport and canceled old passport delivered to me

Nine days after they received the application it's back in my hands. I'm very impressed.

Last edited by grouse; Aug 11, 2007 at 6:47 am
Old Aug 12, 2007, 2:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by grouse
Nine days after they received the application it's back in my hands. I'm very impressed.
That's good news. I trust that you've checked whether any necessary visas will still be valid if left in your old passport or whether they need to be moved/reissued in your new one.

In a broader sense, this confirms a theory I've held for a while. Given the option, it's often a lot quicker, friendlier and easier to deal with one's government via an embassy or consulate abroad than it is at home.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Perth seems to be quite up-to-date and efficient in this matter.

5-6 working days (ie a week +-)

Case study of two in the last year..... Only problem was a public holiday thrown in the process

YMMV as you wander amongst the consulates.

Fred
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:54 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Check your dates!

I renewed my passport last year. I had filled out my birtdate as per the format requested on the form, but the passport office reversed the dates when they issued my passport. I didn't notice it, but the German Police did two weeks later. Sent the embassy a mail and they had the passport re-issued in 5 days. Could have been an issue if it had been Russian immigration or some other place had noticed it.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Whatever you do, make sure you get yours done at an official embassy/consulate! You might be thinking is there an unofficial one? Yes. Taipei.

Where should we start about the hell I went through there? No one spoke proper English, seemed to be only Taiwanese working there (no offense but I thought there might be one caucasian member on their staff), 4 passport photos instead of 2, paper application said 15 working days staff said 30, wanted birth certificate , just a general lack of knowledge everywhere.

The irony is since this occured in my teenage years, my parents put me on the next plane to HKG and I had a passport there within a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.