Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you carry your passport for domestic travel?

Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat

When you travel domestically (within your country) do you carry your passport as your form of identification?

Why or why not?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
No...just something else to misplace. If I can misplace it at my home without actually going anywhere (which I evidently have...no idea how, but whatever), not going to risk taking it when I don't need to.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
All the time. I keep it in a travel wallet with all my frequent flyer cards and transit cards (BART, NYC Subway, Chicago), and present it instead of my DL.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Yes-one never knows when one's travel plans may change; it lives in my travel wallet with other related cards, BPs, receipts, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
All the time. I keep it in a travel wallet with all my frequent flyer cards and transit cards (BART, NYC Subway, Chicago), and present it instead of my DL.
Same here, except I have a "master" wallet that holds all my cards. I swap the ones I need in and out of the travel wallet as needed.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I used to when my MI drivers license was really old, beat up and had been through the washing machine a couple times. It was easier to deal with than explaining to the ID checker that that really was a renewal sticker on the back.

I did take it to ANC last month just in case of the odd diversion or bump that could have me landing in Canada.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by birdstrike
I swap the ones I need in and out of the travel wallet as needed.
You must have a lot more cards than I have
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
No, as it would be a pain to replace.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
I always travel with mine, it's in my travel folder.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Yup

As I live in a state that did not require picture DL's until recently and mine old non picture has not expired I have to carry my passport for domestic. I think it just makes it easier. Though once, in Richmond, I showed my company photo ID and had no problem and I don't work for a govt agency or company. Go figure
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Always when on a business trip. I learned the hard way when I was on the road & had to do an unplanned trip to South America. Had to have someone from the company go to my house hop the back fence, break a small window & counter-to-counter my passport to Miami.

These days I'm also starting to carry it on personal trips since that gives the option to spend a few days on a whim in Canada or Mexico.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:31 pm

I do -- you never know where life might lead you!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Never. Even when I am traveling international, once I've checked into my hotel, I try to keep it in the room safe, and I carry a photocopy of it. Overly cautious, he is, says Master Yoda.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
no...

Don't see a need for it. My plans are very secure in that I don't fly internationally at the drop of a hat. Why risk carrying something extra that you might lose?

Last edited by UALOneKPlus; Jul 24, 2007 at 5:08 pm
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I do actually carry mine all the time because our plans are always subject to change. However I use my Arizona DL as my ID... mostly just to see them freak out at the 2030 expiration date. I've actually had a few question the validity of my DL. One TSA was particularly annoyed that it wasn't what she expected. Obstinant of me to use it instead of my passport I'm sure but it can be mildly amusing to see the reaction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.