Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you carry your passport for domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you carry your passport for domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Not in the US of A

I never carry my passport with me for domestic travels. Main concern is losing my passport while I'm traveling domestically, then it's be a royal pain.

This has created complications for me pre 9/11 when I twice travelled to Canada and forgot my passport. The Canadian immigration officials were very indignant, 'Canada is NOT part of the US of A'. I also had to talk my way back into the US without my passport.

Originally Posted by YYCWoMaN
Mine fits in my travel wallet -- but as a rule, my passport only comes with me when I travel. I do have a colour scan uploaded to 2 email accounts ~ so in a pinch I could present that.
This is a good idea. I currently carry a photo copy of my passport in my laptop briefcase.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
This is a good idea. I currently carry a photo copy of my passport in my laptop briefcase.
That is indeed a great idea! ^ ^ ^
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Just out of curiosity, what do the photocopies afford you?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
If you loose your passport, a photocopy will certainly assist in a more expeditious resolution. Telling the embassy that you lost or had your passport stolen sounds like a story. If you can produce a copy, then they can move very quickly.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...cies_1197.html
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by coxta
If you loose your passport, a photocopy will certainly assist in a more expeditious resolution. Telling the embassy that you lost or had your passport stolen sounds like a story. If you can produce a copy, then they can move very quickly.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...cies_1197.html
How daft of me; of course, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Of course

Two reasons.

1) On more than one occassion, the hidden connection possibility at YYZ has gotten me home flying from LGA to ORD.

2) One never knows when one might need to leave the country in a hurry.

The passport is on me at all times.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
I do actually carry mine all the time because our plans are always subject to change. However I use my Arizona DL as my ID... mostly just to see them freak out at the 2030 expiration date. I've actually had a few question the validity of my DL. One TSA was particularly annoyed that it wasn't what she expected. Obstinant of me to use it instead of my passport I'm sure but it can be mildly amusing to see the reaction.
So now that we know that you are 37

I have never in over 300K of flying with my
AZ drivers liscence had anyone notice the expiration date .
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sometimes - if I think there's a chance of last minute international travel being required, or even not really last minute but when travelling domestically a chance of going international before heading home.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Yes, never know when I will need to leave the country or want to leave the country on a moments notice.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
I carry mine all the times for similar reasons as the other posters:
1. It’s larger and easier to keep track of than my DL.
2. I can stick my boarding pass in it.
3. If I misplace it I can still rent a car with my DL in my wallet. I've had that panicked moment at the rental car counter trying to figure out where I had stuck my DL after going through security.

I’ve only had one issue, I was traveling in cargo shorts and wasn’t used to checking all the extra pockets when I did laundry. The passport came out somewhat frayed but readable. On my next international trip the guy at immigration recommended I get it replaced, so I did,
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
People have missed a loved one's funeral because travelling domestically far from home without their passport meant not being able to get to the funeral on time. Reason enough to keep the passport near as much as possible.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
This is an old thread, but I doubt the issues have changed much.

I never have carried my passport domestically; I worry it might get stolen or lost.

But I frequently travel to the east coast. My mother lives in the UK. She's in very good health, but she is in her 80s.. Recently, I've started to worry that someday I'll get the call that she's had a medical emergency while I'm away, and I'd find myself needing to backtrack to Texas just to pick up my passport before flying to see her.

I think I will start carrying it.

Some posts on this thread have discussed the fear of loss or theft, but I'm wondering if that's actually happened to anyone here - have you ever lost your passport while on a domestic trip where you didn't need it anyway?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by swag
This is an old thread, but I doubt the issues have changed much.

I never have carried my passport domestically; I worry it might get stolen or lost.

But I frequently travel to the east coast. My mother lives in the UK. She's in very good health, but she is in her 80s.. Recently, I've started to worry that someday I'll get the call that she's had a medical emergency while I'm away, and I'd find myself needing to backtrack to Texas just to pick up my passport before flying to see her.

I think I will start carrying it.

Some posts on this thread have discussed the fear of loss or theft, but I'm wondering if that's actually happened to anyone here - have you ever lost your passport while on a domestic trip where you didn't need it anyway?
I started carrying my passport while traveling domestically a few years ago after I almost lost my license while traveling. I found it only a few minutes before heading to the airport.

Starting in 2016, New York State residents (and some other states as well) will have to use a passport to board a plane because the driver's license will not meet REAL ID requirements. New York does offer an enhanced license, but not everyone has one.

I was going to obtain one of these licenses but decided against it when I was told that my ID had to show my street address instead of my PO Box.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
I carry my passport when I fly domestically. I started doing it after I almost had an episode with the TSA at BOS/Logan Airport a year ago.
After showing the TSA agent my driver's license, the agent pulled out a piece of paper showing some guy on their wanted list, and started questioning me if I was that guy. I saw the photo and it looked nothing like me! I had to convince them it wasn't me and they finally let me through. I knew that if I had my passport with me, they couldn't really question my photo or my identity on it, so I started carrying it from now on.
Thanks TSA!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by tom911
All the time. I keep it in a travel wallet with all my frequent flyer cards and transit cards (BART, NYC Subway, Chicago), and present it instead of my DL.
Bingo except the last part. I use my Global Entry for ID at TSA checkpoints and the Passport card when I need to prove citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.