Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Company travel policy -- anyone have a price adjustment for non-stops, travel time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Company travel policy -- anyone have a price adjustment for non-stops, travel time?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:28 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels

In company travel policies, does anyone do an adjustment for non-stops, total travel time, etc. for determining what airline tickets are the "cheapest" for the purpose of travel policy compliance?

For example, a travel policy could specify that you have to choose the cheapest ticket that meets the schedule, but "cheapest" for travel policy purposes uses prices defined as:

Actual price of the ticket
+ $100 (for example) for each hour of travel time in addition to the shortest travel time ticket
+ $100 (for example) for each additional connection required over the ticket with the fewest connections

The employee could still be allowed to choose a ticket with more connections or longer travel time with a cheaper actual price than the "cheapest" ticket with the price as defined above, but would not be required to do so.

The idea is that employees' time is valuable (whether work time or off-work time), and additional connections increase the risk of misconnection, lost baggage, etc..

If you were writing a travel policy, would you have such provisions in the policy? (perhaps with different penalty amounts for added travel time or connections)
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Back in 2003 I was on a Fulbright grant to Thailand or Poland (had two that year, and can't remember which this applies to). The rules are that you take the cheapest US flag airline. That put me on UAL with a 12 hour or so stopover in SEA. This was to save about $150. I appealed, even offering to pay the difference myself, and eventually the program approved an exception.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: NWA, Spirit, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tjl
In company travel policies, does anyone do an adjustment for non-stops, total travel time, etc. for determining what airline tickets are the "cheapest" for the purpose of travel policy compliance?
Nothing as formal as you've stated, but we do take into account the rate at which the customer will be paying for travel. Since I bill out at $225/hour I'm usually on the non-stop flight (if available), even with a last minute ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Our travel policy has a minimum amount of difference which will justify the non-direct flight. I think it's in the order of $150.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Connection flights are encouraged if the flight time is within 90 minutes of non-stop service, and the fare represents a cost saving.
We do have a $100 "free" leeway between our selected itinerary and the lowest possible itinerary before having to justify the difference.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by tjl
For example, a travel policy could specify that you have to choose the cheapest ticket that meets the schedule, but "cheapest" for travel policy purposes uses prices defined as:
In my company it is defined quite simple - cheapest non-stop in Y within 8 hours window (4 for domestic flights). Employee willing to make stops would not be prevented from that provided resultant fare is less expensive. Traveling outside of daylight hours and on weekends is not encouraged.
AX
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tjl
Our travel policy is that I must take the cheapest flight, regardless of class, with a $200 leeway.

However, I'm not required to travel on Sunday before noon, so the $200 leeway starts for flights after noon.

When I travel overseas I must book within that $200 window. No exceptions for length of flight, and cannot buy an upgradeable fare unless it's within that $200 window.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:33 pm

Our clients understand that they will be billed not only for travel expenses but for my travel time. It's rare that a cheaper flight with stops will save money over a more costly, but direct, flight.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:41 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
we have a general rule of

1st - cheapest airline
2nd - preferred airline
3rd - timing

but exceptions are easily made. so above does not really matter too much..
unless I'm trying to justify a $2000 flight when a $500 flight is available.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
Our travel policy requires us to take the cheapest reasonable flight. It then specifies that any connection that adds two hours to the duration of the flight does is not the cheapest reasonable flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.