FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   which hotels offer evening receptions? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/716876-hotels-offer-evening-receptions.html)

kipper Jul 21, 2007 9:37 pm

which hotels offer evening receptions?

DH will be traveling on a regular basis soon, and would like to stay at hotels that have a manager's reception or something similar during the week. Which hotels offer this? We're not looking for specific locations, but really rather chains. I know Homewood Suites offers a manager's reception Monday-Thursday. What other ones do? Thanks!

Non-NonRev Jul 21, 2007 9:44 pm

Embassy Suites - seven days a week in most locations, IIRC.

dhuey Jul 21, 2007 9:52 pm

I don't think you'll see too many outside of Embassy Suites and similar 3* properties. The high-end hotels have their club lounges, so they generally don't have receptions for the whole hotel.

Other than ES, I've only seen one such reception -- at the Four Seasons Maui. We got invited because it was our second stay there. It was very nice, but nothing extraordinary.

kipper Jul 21, 2007 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 8097289)
I don't think you'll see too many outside of Embassy Suites and similar 3* properties. The high-end hotels have their club lounges, so they generally don't have receptions for the whole hotel.

Other than ES, I've only seen one such reception -- at the Four Seasons Maui. We got invited because it was our second stay there. It was very nice, but nothing extraordinary.

I'm looking for the names of the 3* properties. :) IIRC, Residence Inn does something in the evenings. I know from experience that Country Inn & Suites does as well. We're trying to develop a list, so he can give it to the secretary at work, with the, "Please try to book me into one of these when making hotel arrangements for me."

dhuey Jul 21, 2007 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 8097316)
I'm looking for the names of the 3* properties. :)...

I need to steer clear of such properties. I enjoy these receptions, but too much. There's something about an open bar that doesn't agree with me the following morning.

kipper Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 8097326)
I need to steer clear of such properties. I enjoy these receptions, but too much. There's something about an open bar that doesn't agree with me the following morning.

:D DH doesn't drink cheap beer, or typically, liqour, so chances are, he'll be fine. But, you can use the same list with a "Don't book me into these properties." :D

UNITED959 Jul 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 8097345)
:D DH doesn't drink cheap beer, or typically, liqour, so chances are, he'll be fine. But, you can use the same list with a "Don't book me into these properties." :D

IME, these "receptions" typically serve the cheapest of the cheap. :)

kipper Jul 21, 2007 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 8097404)

:D He's not looking for the alcohol, he's looking for the food.

dhuey Jul 21, 2007 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 8097404)

Sure, but no one goes to taste the subtleties of the fine wines.

UNITED959 Jul 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 8097536)
Sure, but no one goes to taste the subtleties of the fine wines.

True, but IME, the wines have not even been drinkable. ;)

KathyWdrf Jul 22, 2007 12:29 am

And yet another travel-related thread finds itself misplaced in OMNI.... :eek:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Seems like this would be more appropriate in TravelBuzz.

Anyhow, there are even some Hampton Inns that offer an evening reception with food. Not sure if they are all doing this, though. I think not.

sany2 Jul 22, 2007 5:39 pm

The Marriott grand cayman has had a managers reception several times when I've been there.

That is the only Marriott I have ever been at where such an event took place.

Ironically, also the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman, though that may have been a special event since it has only happened once.

SkiAdcock Jul 22, 2007 5:55 pm

If DH is interested in the food, then pick a chain (or two) and stick w/ it to get to Gold status, at which point he'll have access to the executive lounges of the full-service hotels & they usually have food.

Cheers.

underpressure Jul 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 8100491)
If DH is interested in the food, then pick a chain (or two) and stick w/ it to get to Gold status, at which point he'll have access to the executive lounges of the full-service hotels & they usually have food.

Cheers.

Which ones? Not Hilton....

Unless you are out of the US.....

Dugernaut Jul 22, 2007 6:16 pm

Is he travelling on his own dime? I can't imagine any managers reception that I would consider having "food" worthy of making a meal.:eek:

In college we used to hit the Bahia resort in SD for happy hour where we could scare the tourists by drinking dollar drafts and doing a coordinated multifront assault on the managers' reception, but fortunately that was many years ago.