Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the longest flight on a narrow body plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: United, American

I am going on a flight this fall that is about eight hours and it will be on a Boeing 757. This very long flight will be on a cramped NARROW BODY PLANE. I can not believe it that they are flying us all the way to Europe on a small narrow bodied plane.

After booking the ticket I found that many Airlines are using the Boeing 757 for long flights. I am interested to know if you have experienced a flight over 8 hours on a narrow body plane using a Commerical Airline.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/Starwood Gold
There are other transatlantic flights (e.g. EWR-DUS) on even smaller planes than a 757. But I haven't heard of any flights longer than ~8 hours on a narrow body.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by TheDingler
I am going on a flight this fall that is about eight hours and it will be on a Boeing 757. This very long flight will be on a cramped NARROW BODY PLANE. I can not believe it that they are flying us all the way to Europe on a small narrow bodied plane.

After booking the ticket I found that many Airlines are using the Boeing 757 for long flights. I am interested to know if you have experienced a flight over 8 hours on a narrow body plane using a Commerical Airline.
Many US based airlines do this when flying to secondary, smaller European cities.

I'm not sure if all airlines do this but AA uses it's domestic 2 class 757s for theses flights but sells it as 1 class. Anybody with status and/or flying on a full Y fare can choose the domestic F seats. The service is still the same for all.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Flight time on CO97 TXL-EWR can exceed 9 hours with headwinds, without being diverted.

TWA's Lockheed 1649A London - San Fran or LA can take over 20 hours non-stop regularly in the 1950's. That's significantly longer than any passenger flight we have today, widebody or narrow. [SQ's EWR-SIN about 18.5 hours.]

Last edited by rkkwan; Jun 21, 2007 at 2:48 pm
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:54 am

I would think the Privatair 737 flights (e.g. IAH-AMS) have got to be up there.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by mtparadis
I would think the Privatair 737 flights (e.g. IAH-AMS) have got to be up there.
Sure. About 10.5hr in the summer, 12hr in the winter, for the westbound AMS-IAH KL663.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:13 pm

PrivatAir

PrivatAir does fly smaller planes, but they're outfitted for all business class seating - so despite the relative size of the plane, they're plenty comfortable.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
Copa runs 738's from PTY to deep South America (EZE, MVD, GRU, etc) on segments that run past the 7 hour mark.

Not as impressive/grueling as 9 hours on a 757 in Y but close enough.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every single long haul flight transatlantic through 1971 or so was on single aisle jet planes.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by hfly
Every single long haul flight transatlantic through 1971 or so was on single aisle jet planes.
It's only a minor correction but the first commercial B747 flight took place on 1.21.70. It was a PanAm flight from NYC to LON.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by TheDingler
a cramped NARROW BODY PLANE.
So is that worse than a cramped wide body plane? Do you think 3-3-3 seating on a brand new 787 widebody will be more comfortable?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
So is that worse than a cramped wide body plane? Do you think 3-3-3 seating on a brand new 787 wide-body will be more comfortable?
--------------------------------------------------------
I am sure the seats and leg room are the same, but it just seems so cramped in a narrow body plane with so many people in a small area. Visually is seems so tight which affects me mentally. Can you relate?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:11 am
Suspended

757s are one of the fastest single aisle planes out there currently.

Not quite as fast as the ultimate narrow body the British Airways Concorde - but then she could do London to New York in 3.5 hours .

That's one narrowbody I was never unhappy to fly on .
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Bobster
So is that worse than a cramped wide body plane? Do you think 3-3-3 seating on a brand new 787 widebody will be more comfortable?
It may not be that different while sitting, but there's world of difference while trying to move around the plane.

Last edited by DogHead; Jun 22, 2007 at 8:37 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
If you think narrowbodies are cramped, go for a nice long-haul flight on a UA 744, in the regular Economy section. It's 3-4-3, and United has got to be lying through its' teeth when it says the seat pitch is 31". It's more like...well, I haven't measured, but it looks for all the world like much less than that!
After a few hours, I'm betting you'd be happy to ditch that jumbo and head for a 737.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.