Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

International Drivers Permit

Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Is an 'International Drivers Permit' accepted as govt ID for check in at the airport? I applied to AAA for an International Drivers Permit so I'm just curious.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by AdaQuonsett
Is an 'International Drivers Permit' accepted as govt ID for check in at the airport?

No.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:04 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by planeluvr
No.
There probably should have been a bit more to the response.......
In the US (and most other countries issuing an IDL) AAA is NOT a government agency, and thus not a valid government ID per the TSA!

That said, 1) I'm not sure any TSA "officer" would really notice, but 2) if they do, who cares...... You don't need a valid ID to fly! Worst case, you are SSSS, and have to go through a few more minutes of frustration to get to the gate.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
My International Drivers Permit did not have my picture on it. So in the US, where it is a picture ID, it would not have worked.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It' s actually only valid when it's presented with a government issued ID, on it' s own without your regular license it's worthless.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
I second what cordelli says. The IDP is not valid without a drivers license present. It even states this in the IDP booklet itself.

Sanosuke!
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The IDP isn't anything, really. It's a bit of cardboard with some generic "Please be nice to the bearer" phrases translated into many other languages. I have one but it's never proved useful. It's certainly not going to be viewed as a "valid ID."
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:25 pm

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
Originally Posted by BearX220
The IDP isn't anything, really. It's a bit of cardboard with some generic "Please be nice to the bearer" phrases translated into many other languages. I have one but it's never proved useful. It's certainly not going to be viewed as a "valid ID."
Exactly. I am getting my Arizonian DL changed here in Norway, got to take the road test though. I didn't even apply for an int'l dl, and they didn't ask for it here in Norway..

It may be useful in Africa or Asia, but in Western Europe, I wouldn't worry about an international license.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Originally Posted by wb8iny
There probably should have been a bit more to the response.......
In the US (and most other countries issuing an IDL) AAA is NOT a government agency, and thus not a valid government ID per the TSA!

That said, 1) I'm not sure any TSA "officer" would really notice, but 2) if they do, who cares...... You don't need a valid ID to fly! Worst case, you are SSSS, and have to go through a few more minutes of frustration to get to the gate.
This may true in the US where the IDP is issued by AAA. In Asia, especially there are a lot of government who are issuing IDP (I know for a fact, in India, Malaysia and Singapore the IDP is also issued by the Transport Dept)

In the case of an IDP issued by a Government, do you think TSA would look at....?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:44 pm

I don't think the issuer matter. In Western Europe at least, it is similar organizations as AAA who issue the permits...
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:56 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by JoeW
It may be useful in Africa or Asia, but in Western Europe, I wouldn't worry about an international license.
Don't try driving in South Korea without an IDP. I'm glad I had mine; the cop at the roadblock demanded it. He was friendly about it as he waited ~5 minutes for me to find it buried in the car.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:32 pm

As I said; Western Europe.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:37 pm

When I called Hertz to rent a car in Mallorca, the agent said I should get an IDL in case I was stopped by the police for violating the law.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
The IDP IS useful, under certain circumstances, like when driving in a country when you are there short term. Some countries don't count them after you've been in the country a certain amount of time- you need a regular DL like everyone else, then. (Often this is the amount of time that you would also need to get some kind of residency permit.)

As for an IDP as a form of ID, as everyone has said, the ones issued in the US would be worthless. Basically its a booklet with translations of some basic driving rules into a bunch of languages. However, if it were issued by a gov't authority & had a photo embedded in it, it might be accepted. Or it might get you SSSS'ed. Maybe someone who has one can comment.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Last I heard, Italy is part of western Europe. A few years ago I had an accident there and the IDL really saved me from difficulties. I believe that it is now mandatory in Italy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.