Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for upcoming trip to Ireland

Old Jun 7, 07, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade

I am taking the family to Ireland in July (10 days). We have not gotten travel insurance on previous trips, but for this one I am considering it.

I can't use a credit card travel insurance as the tickets and hotels were booked with miles/points. I am paying for a rental car, and for that i am using the AAdv World MC as the primary insurance as it will be used to pay for the rental.

The only other things I can think of to be insured are healthcare and luggage/property damage. I believe Ireland has reciprocal arrangements with Australia (my daughter and I have Australian passports, my wife only a US) which I think means we would be provided with free healthcare in Ireland should we need it.

Am I missing some great need to insure against?

And if I was to get insurance, what type should I get and can FTers recommend a good value and reputable provider?
Old Jun 7, 07, 12:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
I use insuremytrip.com

It really lets you do some one stop shopping.
Old Jun 7, 07, 2:00 pm

I have also used insuremytrip.com to compare different companies and coverages. A couple things I wanted were trip cancellation insurance, medical evacuation (not always covered in normal med ins), lost luggage, etc. I was traveling with two girlfriends, neither of which had med ins that would cover out of country expenses. And we were going places (remote islands) that had no hospitals...
Old Jun 7, 07, 4:44 pm

Are you sure that the MC rental car insurance is primary? I wanted to get a card that offered primary insurance and I could not find one.
Old Jun 7, 07, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
I use AIG and I top off the limits (I have young kids) for a reasonable upcharge.

They have several different packages, or else you can create a policy a la carte. Works well for me.

Safe journey to you.
Old Jun 7, 07, 6:52 pm
In memoriam

As a general rule, unless you are the kind of person who is very, very worried about unlikely events, travel insurance is a ripoff.

And, damn hard to collect on, too.
Old Jun 8, 07, 3:22 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
As a general rule, unless you are the kind of person who is very, very worried about unlikely events, travel insurance is a ripoff.

Most companies offering travel insurance seem to spend as much time trying to get out of paying claims as they do offering coverage. Unless I was carrying a ton of documented valuables I'd skip it.
Old Jun 8, 07, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Green Dragon View Post
I have also used insuremytrip.com to compare different companies and coverages. A couple things I wanted were trip cancellation insurance, medical evacuation (not always covered in normal med ins), lost luggage, etc. I was traveling with two girlfriends, neither of which had med ins that would cover out of country expenses. And we were going places (remote islands) that had no hospitals...
I've used insuremytrip.com a few times as well to obtain medical coverage for leisure trips overseas. In all cases, I end up selecting MEDEX. My mother had occasion to use her travel insurance (I forget who) a couple years ago when she broke her arm the first day of an Ireland group tour. She didn't even realize she had trip insurance (it was provided free for those paying in full early). She checked after she got home and received about a 75% reimbursement for medical expenses and 100% less a deductible for the cab ride to catch up with the rest of the tour.

Question about award tickets. They're "free", but you do pay taxes & fees. Does your credit card benefit kick in as a result?
Old Jun 8, 07, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post

Question about award tickets. They're "free", but you do pay taxes & fees. Does your credit card benefit kick in as a result?
I assume no since the CC T&Cs says the entire trip/ticket needs to be paid for with the card - and most of the ticket is paid for with miles.
Old Jun 9, 07, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by goldrush3 View Post
Are you sure that the MC rental car insurance is primary? I wanted to get a card that offered primary insurance and I could not find one.
Most cards will serve as primary insurance you don't have any other auto insurance.
Old Jun 9, 07, 1:29 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
I use tripinsurancestore.com. They only work with reputable companies. I've filed a couple claims and both were hassle-free.

In calculating your trip "cost", only tally what you would lose. For example, $100 change/cancel fee, not your hypothetical $900 airline ticket; your non-refundable/pre-paid hotel nights, etc.

You can insure the entire party with one policy; no need to sign everyone up.

When I do insure myself, predominantly for med evacuation in less civilized countries, I spend around $43/trip. Well worth the peace of mind, IMO.

Do you need a housesitter this time around?
Old Jun 9, 07, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FourWheels View Post
I use tripinsurancestore.com. They only work with reputable companies. I've filed a couple claims and both were hassle-free.

In calculating your trip "cost", only tally what you would lose. For example, $100 change/cancel fee, not your hypothetical $900 airline ticket; your non-refundable/pre-paid hotel nights, etc.

You can insure the entire party with one policy; no need to sign everyone up.

When I do insure myself, predominantly for med evacuation in less civilized countries, I spend around $43/trip. Well worth the peace of mind, IMO.

Do you need a housesitter this time around?
Thanks for the info. And actually now that you ask.......skywalkerLAX is housesitting until Jul 17, so we are still looking for someone for Jul 17-22. Interested?
Old Jun 9, 07, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta SM
We used insuremytrip.com as well. It was so helpful in looking at all the different companies, including their ratings. We used travelex for our trip, our children were covered for free...it made quite a difference. The peace of mind it gave us in advance was great. We had a sudden illness in the family right before our trip, but did not need to worry about the trip because we had the insurance. (Got to take the trip anyway and didn't have to use it, but was VERY glad we had it.)
Old Jun 10, 07, 1:30 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
Originally Posted by alect View Post
Thanks for the info. And actually now that you ask.......skywalkerLAX is housesitting until Jul 17, so we are still looking for someone for Jul 17-22. Interested?
YGE. (You've got email.)
Old Jun 13, 07, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post

I guess flood insurance and earthquake insurance (in CA) are also a rip off. Very unlikely occurrences, but economically devastating if they do happen.

Many years ago my cousin got very ill in Italy and had to be evacuated back to USA, then special helicopter to the emergency medical center in Michigan. Cost for the travel alone: $50,000.

I'll take the insurance for $50 thank you very much.

I don't view it as "very very worried", I view it as "very very responsible" , what with a wife and kids and all....

In the big picture, for me, $50 = piece of mind + security for my family.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: