Search

Yet Another Airline Etiquette Question: Window Shades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Yet Another Airline Etiquette Question: Window Shades

I was on a United flight over the weekend in F, row 1, on a 757. Row 1 chair is positioned just past window #2 (about 1-2" past window#2) when not declined. When reclined, Row 1 covers the entire window #2.

I had a terrible headache so when we reached a cruising altitute (when there was nothing to see outside the window....just clouds), I shut the shades at window #1 and #2 so I could attempt to go to sleep. 10 seconds later, Mr 2D reached over and re-opened window shade #2.

...? I thought, but my head was about to burst, I didn't bother arguing with him. I covered up my face with my right arm. I tried to go to sleep.

10 minutes later, just as I was about to fall asleep, I heard the shade being shut at window #2 and his hand was next to my face.

So my question is, whose has window #2? 1D or 2D? It's technically 1D's when reclined because it covered up the entire window

2D already had window #3 to look out, I don't understand why he needed window #2 as well?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
It's technically 1D's when reclined because it covered up the entire window
Here's your answer.

If your face is immediately next to it, it's yours IMHO.

But, as a courtesy (and for safety), I think it's a nice gesture to raise window shades for takeoff and landing. I really think this should be part of the flight attendant announcements. (I know some airlines do this; UA does not currently.)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:55 am

Window shaes open takeoff and landing

On some of the inflight safety videos there is an announcement that goes something like this" As we prepare for take-off we request that all seatbacks,tray tables be in their full upright and locked position. we kindly request that all widnow shades be raised for take-off and landing.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

10 minutes later, just as I was about to fall asleep, I heard the shade being shut at window #2 and his hand was next to my face.
Your concern is about who has control of the window shade? I would think you would really want to know what this man's hand is doing next to your face! That's my reaction to your story.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
On some of the inflight safety videos there is an announcement that goes something like this" As we prepare for take-off we request that all seatbacks,tray tables be in their full upright and locked position. we kindly request that all widnow shades be raised for take-off and landing.
I said in my OP that I shut the shades AFTER we had reached a cruising altitude (i.e. pilot turned off the seatbelt sign)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Your concern is about who has control of the window shade? I would think you would really want to know what this man's hand is doing next to your face! That's my reaction to your story.
I don't think he was trying to do anything to me, he was just reaching for the shade....or so I hope.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:38 am

I was on a United flight over the weekend in F, row 1, on a 757. Row 1 chair is positioned just past window #2 (about 1-2" past window#2) when not declined. When reclined, Row 1 covers the entire window #2.

I had a terrible headache so when we reached a cruising altitute (when there was nothing to see outside the window....just clouds), I shut the shades at window #1 and #2 so I could attempt to go to sleep. 10 seconds later, Mr 2D reached over and re-opened window shade #2.
so... were you reclining? sounds like that would have solved your problem by denying him access
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by basia
so... were you reclining? sounds like that would have solved your problem by denying him access
I did, hence his hand in my face!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should have smacked his hand and said, "Get that thing out of my face!"
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Late afternoons I always drop the shade because of sun glare. I can't think of a time when I had it up and someone wanted it down or v.v. If I'm trying to use my laptop or PSP, I will put the shade down.

To answer the OP, I only control windows between my eyes and the eyes of the pax in front of me. If a window is behind my field of vision, I usually leave it alone.

If someone was sleeping and closed the window for that reason, I sure wouldn't put the shade up. How rude.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I did, hence his hand in my face!
Maybe it was the Pope and he was offering his ring for you to kiss?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Whatever happened to asking?

Now opening the next can of flaming worms:

Q: Would it be assault to slap the hand that came in front of my face?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Maybe it was the Pope and he was offering his ring for you to kiss?
Ummm . . I think the Pope gets first dibs on row 1.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by AllanJ
Now opening the next can of flaming worms:

Q: Would it be assault to slap the hand that came in front of my face?
Huh? Can of flaming worms? When (except for self-defense) is it ever OK to strike someone else?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:46 pm

I'm inclined to agree with redbeard911's boundaries. If reclining gets the window under my "area of control" and I want to control it, then I would recline.

I sometimes get migraines and they can come with terrible light sensitivity that may have me vomiting if I can't reduce light and certainly anything very bright. If I had a head ache of that nature and were trying to gain control of extended territory, I think I would quietly mention the problem to the person causing the problem. I can't think many people would choose a vomiting neighbor over a slightly darker cabin, though I suppose I may be surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.