Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you have done - Pax moves bag to different bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you have done - Pax moves bag to different bin?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:01 am

I know that it would be easier to move mountains than to get people to change from placing their luggage above them, but it makes quite a bit of sense to place your luggage in the bin across the aisle from you. That way whenever anyone gets into that bin, you can always see what is happening to your belongings, which you are unable to do if your luggage is in the bin above you.

I realize that this option was not available for the OP in his situation.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by AcnNWAPlatinum
Once, on a KLM cityhopper from AMS-LBA, I was the first pax to board, and I put my bag above my seat in row 8. The second pax to board happened to be seated right next to me. Pax said I had to move my bag so hers could be right above her head. I simply looked up at all the empty bin space, next to and across from her, decided her stupidity wasn't worth and, it and moved my bag over. To this day, I still don't get why hers coudln't be about 18 inches to the right or left of right above her head - but oh well.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" - Schiller.

You did the right thing.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has happened a few time to me. Personally I dond like it but unless they move my bag 3 or more rows away from the exit door I dont mind. I hate the jokers who punch-n-shove the other passengers bags then force their crap into the bin so they dont need to put their precious bags in their under the seat area.

MisterNice
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, there are times you need to rearrange a bin in order to get everything in.

I've had to do it once because the bin had two framed pictures in it but was otherwise virtually empty. Obviously they belonged on top of whatever else was in there so I set them out, put my stuff in and put them back on top.
Rearranging is fine -- I wouldn't have minded that. Removing and relocating to a different bin, however, is something that only the FA should do, at least IMHO.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I thought ...-portation was the polite word for BIS.

The woman was wrong to touch your stuff. She owes you a free touch.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
PTravel, you handled the situation far more maturely than I would have. That woman touched one of my TRUE hot buttons regarding the flying experience...the choice of overhead space. I'm one of the most aggressive gate lice known to mankind when it comes to getting on the plane first and making sure I get my choice of overhead space.

If another passenger DARES to touch (other than a minor re-arrangement within the same bin, no prob there) my bag without my permission, the conversation starts with a firm and loud, "Don't you move another passenger's belongings without permission!" and de-volves from there. I think NOTHING of publicly embarrassing another passenger who tries that, and *I* have no embarrassment when it comes to my tone and volume of voice.

In your case, having found the bag moved without your knowledge given its position out of your view, once the offender was located, it would have started, loudly, with, "Well, how selfish and inconsiderate of you to be so presumptuous! What do you have to say for yourself in front of all these other passengers??"

Now, since I carry a backpack and not a frickin' rollaboard like the rest of you inconsiderate overhead storage hogs (feel free to fire away in reply to that comment - I really don't care), I do have some flexibility as to where I store my bag, and if asked politely, if I can find another nearby location where I won't have to swim upstream upon landing, I'll gladly move my bag elsewhere. But that's the only case.

In fairness, I also DO know that if I'm on a tight connection and I don't get on the plane first, then it's MY problem as to how conveniently I can store my bag...those are the unwritten rules, and I know I have to play by them. That's also why I have no tolerance whatsoever for those who do not.

Last edited by drat19; Jun 6, 2007 at 9:56 am
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:15 am

I also think you did the right thing. I get edgy if strangers touch my stuff. Besides, we aren't supposed to let strangers touch our luggage, according to the TSA, right? ???

I would have battled my temper (like you did) and asked her if she felt there was some reason why her luggage was somehow better or more privileged than mine? Is it perhaps Royal luggage? Has it been elected the president of all luggage? Then leave it where I put it, thanks! By moving it to a place hidden from me, you have in effect STOLEN this valuable equipment. Just because you later told us where you hid it doesn't mean your intent was innocent. It is worth more than $100, so that is a felony. Would you care to reconsider your luggage's position now?

I'm too meek to have said any of that, really. But it sure would have felt good!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
I also think you did the right thing. I get edgy if strangers touch my stuff. Besides, we aren't supposed to let strangers touch our luggage, according to the TSA, right? ???

I would have battled my temper (like you did) and asked her if she felt there was some reason why her luggage was somehow better or more privileged than mine? Is it perhaps Royal luggage? Has it been elected the president of all luggage? Then leave it where I put it, thanks! By moving it to a place hidden from me, you have in effect STOLEN this valuable equipment. Just because you later told us where you hid it doesn't mean your intent was innocent. It is worth more than $100, so that is a felony. Would you care to reconsider your luggage's position now?

I'm too meek to have said any of that, really. But it sure would have felt good!
That would have been a FABULOUS public embarrassment of the offender! Get over your meekness...SAY IT next time. THAT will feel even better, trust me! Remember, on flights post-9/11, ANY raising of the voice gets EVERYONE's attention...what better setting to humiliate the owner of the Royal Luggage? You can't lose.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:02 am
zac

Originally Posted by PTravel
What would you have done?
I would have kept an eye on my bag until the doors closed, but then again I have trust issues. I hate when I need to have to stow my bag away from me.

The woman of course was wrong to move your bag, but I’m sure she thought it was harmless to re-locate it across the aisle (from the sounds of it she asked neighboring pax first). You’re lucky she didn’t tell the flight attendant she found a bag that no pax would claim…

Also, I would definitely take a look for your bag first before going to a flight attendant and asking for the police. If your bag was stolen and it’s still on the plane it’s not going anywhere. If it’s off the plane then it is already gone. Either way no reason to get everyone riled up without taking a quick look around.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:03 am
zac

Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Yes, but that means we don't leave our luggage unattended.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Moving my luggage to another bin will be like opening up a big can of whupass. I dislike bulkheads for this (and other reasons), so try not to sit there. I've run into people who get on last and are shocked that there is no room left above "their" seat, and demand that your remove your luggage.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
I also agree that there should never be a time when it is proper for anyone to move someone's bag out of a bin without their knowledge. Rearranging is one thing, but never moving it.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've had the opposite experience. Men always seem to think they're more important & it's ok to move my stuff. Has happened on a # of occasions - unless I give them the intense 'don't you even think about it' glare when it's obvious they're going to try & do that. Drives me crazy.

One time a guy came on w/ 2 pieces of luggage & a briefcase, and proceeded to pull my stuff out (I had boarded first) to put his in. I was po'd at the airline for letting him on w/ all that crap instead of making him check something, and po'd w/ him for thinking he had the right to pull my laptop out of the bin & put it in a dif overhead so he could get his stuff in. I called the FA on that one - who then proceeded to help him & tell me mine was fine where they moved it to. Talk about reinforcing bad behavior. Grr.

I would have been freaked if I went to where I had left my laptop & it was missing. I'm trying to think if I would have looked in the other bins or just gone straight to the FA. I would have said something to the offender when it was discovered someone was just moving it for their convenience. And I'm not talking about the shuffling within a bin which is ok, but the actual moving it to a totally separate bin.

On a separate note, whenever possible I do try to put my laptop or roll-aboard (on the rare occasions I bring a roll-aboard) in the bin opposite me, as it's easier to keep track. A friend of mine is LAPD at the airport, and he said it makes it easier for thieves when it's right above you & they're in the same aisle. They can get up, shuffle through stuff (most people will lean away a bit because they don't want someone's genitals in their face - of course he didn't know FTers when he told me that ), and move things from your carry-on to theirs. They broke up a ring working the LAX-LAS route who was doing that. Realize that's not always possible, so when it's not I'm usually pretty good about keeping an eye on my carry-on in whatever bin until we take off.

Having said that, I get where people who have stored their bag & settled in think that others are going to have decent manners & not move someone else's bag from one bin to another.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by zac
Yes, but that means we don't leave our luggage unattended.
True... but in the OPs situation, he HAD to. No underseat option, no overhead option, he had to place it somewhere he couldn't keep an eye on it.

In that situation I think the personal courtesy of not touching someone else's stuff is even more important. If the woman couldn't find the owner of the bag, she should have asked the FA to find him. Period.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by drat19
Now, since I carry a backpack and not a frickin' rollaboard like the rest of you inconsiderate overhead storage hogs (feel free to fire away in reply to that comment - I really don't care)
Ok... methinks that "the rest of" us aren't the only ones being inconsiderate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.