Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

OK, I'm really glad you found my iPod but...

OK, I'm really glad you found my iPod but...

Old May 27, 2007, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Unhappy OK, I'm really glad you found my iPod but...

I flew UA from ORD-DCA not too long ago and I left my iPod on the plane. When I bought my iPod, I had my phone number plus "Reward if Found" engraved on the back; I also tucked my business card into the iPod's case, and as it turned out, that was a good thing because about a day after my flight, I got a call from a guy who found it and wanted to return it. I'd also reported it at the airport when I noticed it had gone missing but I guess my "good samaritan" found it before it had a chance to get to UA lost and found.

I made arrangements to meet him to pick it up and handed him a $50 for his honesty/courtesy/etc.

He thanked me, then told me that the "Reward if Found" bit was really the only reason he called me. Otherwise, he was going to keep it because "it's one of the video iPods, those are really nice!" (His words, not mine!)

THEN he tells me what he was doing when he found the iPod...

Cleaning the plane!

Yup, the UA groomer found my iPod, didn't turn it in to Lost and Found, and was going to keep it if I hadn't offered a reward right on the iPod. NICE!

So while I am very happy to have my iPod back (it's not even a year old and has 4500 songs on it, plus I have 12 flights in the next 30 days and no time to replace it), I'm really peeved at this groomer for being so blatantly dishonest, and dumb enough to tell me how dishonest he is. I'm torn between complaining to UA about this--- the groomers should be turning in all lost property, period. But part of me wants not to complain, for fear of mucking up my future Lost and Found karma (translation: I land at DCA a lot and maybe the groomers figure out they won't get in trouble if they keep the stuff instead of trying to get a reward).

Complain? Don't complain?
Old May 27, 2007, 7:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Complain -- the cleaner should have returned it to lost and found.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Complain - that is ridiculous. It is your property. I wonder how much other stuff is "kept" or how much he makes on the side due to rewards?? Wow. . .that is just amazing. What is wrong with people these days?! It's not his stuff!

I am glad you got it back though!
Old May 27, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Yikes! I am glad you got your iPod back (I'd be lost without mine), but this post now makes light of why my 1GB USB drive has not been found on my ORD - LHR flight last week. I really need the presentation off of that too!
Old May 27, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 2p
What a dishonest, greedy employee... I suppose it could have been worse, though.

I'd just be happy you got it back at all. Most lost iPods are doomed to oblivion, especially a video one!

Nice planning on your part!
Old May 27, 2007, 7:44 pm

I would complain, but you are really lucky to have found your ipod. My less than a year old ipod (video) got stolen by the security screeners at HKG (they had secondary screen at boarding bridges... and I know I got it stolen because I had my ipod in my bag just prior to boarding - I couldn't find it anymore when I wanted to listen to it during the flight).
Old May 27, 2007, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Complain - it is very likely that they have a policy/procedure for what to do when they find items. Had he just kept the Ipod and kept his mouth shut, he would not have been "caught." Because he was greedy and wanted the cash, AND because he was stupid enough to tell you that he found it while performing his job, he deserves to get what is coming to him.

What a jerk...
Old May 27, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Dude, glad you got it back. It is really sad to hear that this is the state of lost and found n UA. I would be completely miserable without mine. I would "complain" to UA but only because it seems so egregious that he would basically sell it back to you because he happened to find it. They should definitely know that there is a reason that passengers distrust so many of the people they employ.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Another vote for complaining.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by jerriblank55

Nice planning on your part!
Adding "Reward if Found" to my electronics has worked really well for me--- the iPod came back to me, and about 2 years ago I lost a Blackberry which was likewise returned to me, although that was found by a nice guy who was on the same bus as I was, and not a bus employee! I really recommend everyone add that to everything that can be lost. I don't lose stuff that often, at least when you compare it to how much electronic crap I drag with me when I travel for work, but I like to increase the odds that I'll get stuff back when I *do* lose things.

My only reluctance to complain is that the staff will get reprimanded and will become even more dishonest. At least now this guy is greedy and motivated by reward money. If he'd already been yelled at for pocketing lost property, I would never have seen that iPod again. <sigh>

But I think I will send UA an email after all.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:53 pm

Complain. He should be fired.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Adding "Reward if Found" to my electronics has worked really well for me--- the iPod came back to me, and about 2 years ago I lost a Blackberry which was likewise returned to me, although that was found by a nice guy who was on the same bus as I was, and not a bus employee! I really recommend everyone add that to everything that can be lost. I don't lose stuff that often, at least when you compare it to how much electronic crap I drag with me when I travel for work, but I like to increase the odds that I'll get stuff back when I *do* lose things.

Some folks swear by this system as well: yougetitback.com
Old May 27, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K/Life UC, AA-EXP, AF-Plat
Almost agree with dcpatti.
I won't complain. As long as it returned, that is okay.
Even if I do so, not for him. I will make it a generic case.
Old May 27, 2007, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Another vote for complain.
Old May 27, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
Definitely complain. He should get fired. Hopefully his coworkers will notice and refrain from keeping any lost items in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.