FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Odd questions by Immigration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/693406-odd-questions-immigration.html)

rbrenton88 May 15, 2007 11:13 am

Odd questions by Immigration

Coming into JFK recently, I made the mistake of choosing a line manned by the 'Grand Inquisitor' type of immigration officer. While all other lines were sailing through relatively quickly, "GI" took his time.

When finally my turn came up, he started off with the usual "How long were you gone?" and "what do you do for a living?" irritants.

But then he asked for the name of my company. "ABD", I replied. (the name is one letter off compared with a similar but much better known name) "ABC??", he asked loudly. "No, ABD", I replied. "And what is it you do again?!" he asked loudly. "We make sell widgets overseas" "Do you have any widgets in your bag?!" "No, they weigh around 4000 pounds." I replied.
Now, I'm tired and cranky from a 10-hour flight, so I can't help but roll eyes. Then he states "Well I've never heard of that company" and proceeds to stare at me. So I stare back for about 10 seconds. He then stamps me through.

How many companies are there in the US these days? Hundreds of thousands just counting the larger ones? Do immigration officers memorize the Wilshire 5000 index as a basis for their employment?

I can understand the length of travel question, since US immigration does not do exit stamps (although I fail to see what difference it makes), but isn't it enough to see my electronic profile come up time and time again each time they swipe the passport?

radonc1 May 15, 2007 11:57 am

Now, I'm tired and cranky from a 10-hour flight

Perhaps he was tired and cranky from a busy 8 hour day. I cut these guys as much slack as possible since they can make my day a lot longer than I want. For me, it just isn't worth the hassle.

hhoope01 May 15, 2007 12:09 pm

I suspect that it could also be the IO is just looking to see how you react to the questions rather than just the answers alone. IOW, its like going for some secret clearances for gov't work, you might be put on a polygraph machine and asked a lot of really weird questions. The persons asking them are less interested in what the answers are and more interested in how you react to the questions and that you answer truthfully. :eek:

Thalassa May 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 7741131)
I suspect that it could also be the IO is just looking to see how you react to the questions rather than just the answers alone. IOW, its like going for some secret clearances for gov't work, you might be put on a polygraph machine and asked a lot of really weird questions. The persons asking them are less interested in what the answers are and more interested in how you react to the questions and that you answer truthfully. :eek:

This is my understanding, as well. Being a foreign devil who comes fairly often to the US, I get a lot of questions like this. The information provided by my answers cannot really make much sense to them (working for non-household name company, meeting other non-household name companies); my reactions and behavior are very likely to be much more telling.

Cheers,
T.

rbrenton88 May 15, 2007 1:38 pm

I understand the point of asking random questions. It's just that he appeared to be genuinely concerned that he was not familiar with my company name.

Thalassa May 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by rbrenton88 (Post 7741663)
I understand the point of asking random questions. It's just that he appeared to be genuinely concerned that he was not familiar with my company name.

Perhaps the guy was just disappointed he did not just meet a big-shot TV mogul...

Cheers,
T.

Spiff May 15, 2007 1:54 pm

"Would you like a prospectus? We're always looking for investors." ;)

aktchi May 15, 2007 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by rbrenton88 (Post 7740764)
"Well I've never heard of that company"

"Actually, you just did thirty seconds ago." :)

rbrenton88 May 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 7741974)
"Actually, you just did thirty seconds ago." :)

A good line like that never pops into my head quickly enough. :D

gglave May 15, 2007 4:12 pm

A number of times I've told US Border Officials "I work for Company X" and they reply "How come I've never heard of it?"

I never really know how to answer that question in a respectful way. Usually I say "I not really sure."

Alan in CBR May 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 7742598)
A number of times I've told US Border Officials "I work for Company X" and they reply "How come I've never heard of it?"

I never really know how to answer that question in a respectful way. Usually I say "I not really sure."

When asked who I work for, I always preface my answer with, "A small Australian software company called ...". That way there's no expectation that they will recognise the name.

BamaVol May 15, 2007 6:43 pm

Clearing Immigration and Customs are times when you'd best keep the conversation bland. Definitely not the moment for "Did I think that or did I just say it out loud?"

MariaSF May 15, 2007 7:11 pm

OTOH, I did work for a really big/known company and the conversation *always* went like this:

officer (looking at my H1B visa stamp): so you work for XYZ company? cool!
me: yep, really cool
officer: i have a friend/relative/neighbor who works/used to work/would like to work there too.
or
i've driven by the HQs building, it's really nice.
me: i see/i agree
officer: (in 1999 and 2000) wow, your stock price is really high.
or
(by end of 2000 and after) wow, your stock price is going lower and lower.
me: i see you are well informed.
:rolleyes:

Danger Man May 15, 2007 7:19 pm

I'm independently wealthy why would I work for someone?

bhmlurker May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Being an Asian naturalized citizen, I've noticed this trend:

With a backpack and a roll-aboard, and speak English fluently, I rarely get harassed by customs. They only ask why I'm there and expect me to say 'visit parents'. Did you bring back any food? What kind of food? Ok have a nice day.

The Asian version of Ma and Pa Kettle, with 2 huge suitcases or cardboard boxes per person, plus 2 carry-on bags - now they always get sent for secondary screening post-customs. Maybe they failed to answer questions correctly.

Back when I traveled with my parents, no matter how we adhere to rules and answer correctly, albeit with accented English, it seems if you have too much luggage and aren't fluent, you get secondary bag searched!

htb May 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 7742598)

Shouldn't be too difficult, e.g.,

"It's a small company."

"You're not working in our field."

"Hardly anyone knows it outside the filed of..."

HTB.

seekingsun May 16, 2007 12:40 pm

Interestingly, the complaint form, that I had to fight with a supervisor for, had a box saying "abuse of authority". seems to happen a lot then I guess.
what was the outcome of the complaint?

marlin May 16, 2007 12:43 pm

Miami Immigration asked my eight year old son if he had a girlfriend. When he said no, he said "Good. They cost too much money".

Bullsman89 May 16, 2007 8:51 pm

does anybody know exactly what shows up on the "electronic profile" when the passport gets scanned? Does the US have a record of border crossings outside the US? Thanks.

Eastbay1K May 16, 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by bhmlurker (Post 7743673)
Being an Asian naturalized citizen, I've noticed this trend:

The Asian version of Ma and Pa Kettle, with 2 huge suitcases or cardboard boxes per person, plus 2 carry-on bags - now they always get sent for secondary screening post-customs. Maybe they failed to answer questions correctly.

Back when I traveled with my parents, no matter how we adhere to rules and answer correctly, albeit with accented English, it seems if you have too much luggage and aren't fluent, you get secondary bag searched!

Were these agricultural, or customs screenings (or both)?

slawecki May 17, 2007 6:15 am

I have upon entry, frequently been asked "are you carrying a large quantity of money?"

Since large is a relative term, I always answer "no". after all, what's 20 grand to a guy like me?

have also been checked and patted down more than once at LHR and asked about "large sums of cash" when leaving.

BamaVol May 17, 2007 7:55 am

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 7751562)
I have upon entry, frequently been asked "are you carrying a large quantity of money?"

Since large is a relative term, I always answer "no". after all, what's 20 grand to a guy like me?

have also been checked and patted down more than once at LHR and asked about "large sums of cash" when leaving.

What is it about you that provokes this sort of question? Big diamond ring? Extra nice suit? Using $100 bills to light your cigar?

bhmlurker May 17, 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 7750347)
Were these agricultural, or customs screenings (or both)?

Mostly agricultural. The food rule coming into the US from Taiwan has always been quite strange:

Bakery products are ok.
No raw fruits. Dried fruits are ok.
No raw poultry or fish. Cooked poultry or fish are ok.
Beef and pork are never ok.

So a plate of fried rice with chicken or shrimp would pass, but not with beef. By the way, none of this is specifically told to passengers.

My mother once returned TPE-ANC with a small red plastic jewelry case (common in Asia). The jewelry was given to a relative as present, and she kept the case. Customs officer asked her if she brought back any jewelry, and when she said no (albeit with poor English), she was sent for a cavity search, sans translator. That experience scarred her for life in terms of flying.

I guess there must be a lot of jewelry smugglers from Asia, or something.

slawecki May 17, 2007 11:09 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 7751958)
What is it about you that provokes this sort of question? Big diamond ring? Extra nice suit? Using $100 bills to light your cigar?

I'm 70, sorta fat, and travel in comfort. very baggy clothes, soft shoes, don't groom too well. could easily pass for cat draggings.

ElkeNorEast May 17, 2007 11:30 am

I am often asked by UK immigration if I'm planning on staying in the country longer than 3 months, if I am planning on living there, etc. My husband is British, so I guess it's a fair question. My favorite exchange:

"What is the reason for your visit?"

"I'm visiting family."

"What family do you have here?"

"My in-laws live in Dorking."

"Where is your husband?"

"He's here already, I'm meeting him in the arrivals hall."

"Are you planning on staying in the UK permanently?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"It's too expensive. I can't afford to live here."

"Neither can I. I wish I could emigrate."

THUNK of entry stamp and I'm on my way... :)

seekingsun May 17, 2007 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by seekingsun (Post 7747655)
what was the outcome of the complaint?

Last edited by richard : Yesterday at 3:37 pm.

What the heck is that?? Any reason my posting was deleted by a mod and replaced with a question instead, so that the posting does not make any sense at all anymore?

BamaVol May 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 7753120)
I'm 70, sorta fat, and travel in comfort. very baggy clothes, soft shoes, don't groom too well. could easily pass for cat draggings.

Who knows where they come up with their profiles?

I used to travel with an uptight straight-laced clean-shaven boss who'd dress in suit and tie. At the time, I was raggedy and travelled in comfort. He got stopped at customs every time while I waltzed through. I loved it.

toadman May 17, 2007 5:15 pm

Immigration: "Does your company give bonuses?"

Me: "Yes."

I: "How'd you do?"

M: "Great, thanks."

Or

I: "Do you own any firearms?

M: "Yes."

I: "What kind?"

M: "An X and a Y"

I: "Do you have any ammo with you?"

M: "No."

Stares at me for about 10 seconds. I stare back.

I: "Okay, go ahead."

TheTrustedTraveler May 17, 2007 6:02 pm

If they want to test the reaction of people they should throw out the occasional

"how man twinkies have your eaten today"
or
"who's buried in Grants tomb"
or my favorite

"whats the frequency Kenneth"

someones gotta know the answer to that question

Taker Park May 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Odd Questions

Those last few really had me laughing.

This is one of my favorites, at the customs checkpoint at TBIT:

CO: Can I help you?
PAX: US Citizen
CO: Excuse me?
PAX: I'm a US Citizen
CO: Okay, are you trying to get out of here?
PAX: Yeah, I'm a US Citizen
CO: Okay, do you have anything to declare?
PAX: No, I didn't buy anything. I'm a US Citizen

And it just went on and on and on

kasop May 20, 2007 12:27 pm

I had a similar experience this week coming from BOG-FLL, that said I was expecting it, afterall it is BOG, but I got quite an interrogation.

The usual, how long have I been away, what do I do for a living, with whom was I with in BOG, long stares directly into my eyes.

Then something that never happened to me before, he held up my customs form which I had filled out on the plane and he asked my not once but twice would I like to change it in anyway, I told him firmly NO and then I asked why, he just responded that he would me to have the opportunity to tell the truth on it, I told him that whatever was written on it was "the truth" He notated my customs firm which meant I had to be secondary screened in customs and when I got there the customs agent told me to go to Area B, and when I arrived there they looked me up and down like a criminal and told me to go ahead and leave.

The whole experience was a bit unerving to say the least.

The purpose of my visit was to visit a friend who was having surgery in Bogota which I had told the immigration officer.

Normally immigration takes under a minute, but on this occasion it took about 5 minutes, not a whole lot but still it was a bit unsettling.

I hated my reaction to the process, I got short of breath and nervous, (for no reason at all, afterall he is just doing his job) but I can understand why he thought I was trying to hide something. Anyway all's well that ends well.

gj83 May 20, 2007 12:42 pm

I got sent to secondary last week in YYZ. I'm an american. I was dressed casually with a backpack and rollaboard. Guy asked me what I was doing at the first check point. I said sight seeing. He asked for my return ticket. I showed him my Itin. I got a pink stripe on my card meaning i had to go to secondary. After waiting for 45 minutes to see a person at the secondary interrogation He just wanted to see my hotel reservation.

I don't print much anymore b/c the mounds of paper add up quickly. I did print my Itin since i was traveling internationally, but not my hotel res. I had to boot up my laptop and show him the outlook appointment.

I just started babbling about hilton diamond status and mileage runs.

Apparently people don't sight see in Toronto :rolleyes: .

Are we allowed to ask the people why we are being interrogated? I thought US citizens can to go Canada with only a passport. Apparently they want our first born too.

fimo May 20, 2007 12:48 pm

The one and only time I've passed through LHR I was asked what language I spoke (I'm ethnic chinese), and I replied English. The customs officer repeated the question, and I repeated the answer louder, thinking he hadn't heard me. Then he persisted, 'No, like cantonese, mandarin..?'

I was rather put off by the question and just said "yeah, whatever," and then he stamped my passport and let me on my way.

Was I supposed to know that the right answer wasn't 'English?' That was just such an odd experience.

NTAFlyer May 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bullsman89 (Post 7750227)
does anybody know exactly what shows up on the "electronic profile" when the passport gets scanned? Does the US have a record of border crossings outside the US? Thanks.

Interesting question, I asked last week when my green card apparantly messed up his computer, he said "you broke it" as an FA Im used to there being NO interraction from the EWR Immigration Officials, so he said once he rebooted his system "Im going to try swiping your passport instead (British) I asked "does it show the same information" response, "yes" me-"what does it tell you" him-I cant tell you that information, its personal"
uhuh ok..Its my personal but he didnt look like I was going to get any further and if you upset them, they put stuff in there so you have to go through Ag every time you come in or something like that, and I coming in tired from a 9 hr flight the last thing I need is all my bags going through a secondary search by Ag every time. I know it happens as a friend of mine has to deal with it 6 times a month!
Im sure it tells them plenty about all your travel history, criminal record, deportations etc and certainly any time youve got into an issue with other officials. Its easier just to be nice, smile and leave, they can really screw up your life if you travel a lot!

civicmon May 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by kasop (Post 7767865)
I had a similar experience this week coming from BOG-FLL, that said I was expecting it, afterall it is BOG, but I got quite an interrogation.

The usual, how long have I been away, what do I do for a living, with whom was I with in BOG, long stares directly into my eyes.

Then something that never happened to me before, he held up my customs form which I had filled out on the plane and he asked my not once but twice would I like to change it in anyway, I told him firmly NO and then I asked why, he just responded that he would me to have the opportunity to tell the truth on it, I told him that whatever was written on it was "the truth" He notated my customs firm which meant I had to be secondary screened in customs and when I got there the customs agent told me to go to Area B, and when I arrived there they looked me up and down like a criminal and told me to go ahead and leave.

The whole experience was a bit unerving to say the least.

The purpose of my visit was to visit a friend who was having surgery in Bogota which I had told the immigration officer.

Normally immigration takes under a minute, but on this occasion it took about 5 minutes, not a whole lot but still it was a bit unsettling.

I hated my reaction to the process, I got short of breath and nervous, (for no reason at all, afterall he is just doing his job) but I can understand why he thought I was trying to hide something. Anyway all's well that ends well.

That's exactly why it's unnerving.. since a person who is committing a crime is more likely to crack.

Since you were there for legit purposes and did nothing wrong you had nothing to worry about, but it's purposely uncomfortable since it's easier to make smugglers and the like crack when they're made to feel uncomfortable.

opus17 May 20, 2007 4:02 pm

Last time in SFO:
(Wife & I have different last names, and she's a German citizen, I'm U.S.)

USA: Are you two married?
Me: yes
USA: How long were you out of the country.
Wife: Two weeks
Me: More like 2 and a half
Wife: 16 days isn't 2 and a half
Me: it was 17 days
Wife: No, we left on Saturday, and today's Monday
Me: We left on Friday!
USA: Stamps the passports, "Welcome home"

GUWonder May 20, 2007 9:22 pm

"Where do you live?"
"____, same place as I wrote on the form, right here."

"You spend a lot of time abroad?"
"Yes, long distance relationships must be maintained personally."

"What's the place famous for?"
"____ , ____, ____ " .... none of which they are aware.

"Belgium, Denmark, Sweden and Amsterdam?"
"Amsterdam airport, yes. I wrote down the Netherlands, but I'm not sure Amsterdam-Schipol Airport is even located in Amsterdam proper."

curlyflyer May 21, 2007 10:28 am

I travel to Montreal a lot for work. The strangest question I got going in was:

IO: "You travel to Montreal a lot."
Me: "Yes, rather frequently."
IO: "Well, you should be speaking French by now. Prehaps I should address you in French."
Me: "I do my best but it's probably less painful for both of us if we continue in English."

Another occasion:
IO: "Who do you work for."
Me: "X Healthcare."
IO: "You know, my friend is a doctor and he said you guys throw the best parties. There's lots of free booze. Are you here for one of those?"
Me: "Unfortunately not. Usually only the marketing/sales people and the big wigs get to go to events like that. I'm just here for a meeting."

Coming back in:
IO: "You've had a green card for a long time. Why haven't you applied for citizenship?"
Me: "I just haven't gotten around to it."
IO: "I don't see why not. You've been in the US for most of your life, you don't have an accent and you can't even vote for the day your garbage gets picked up."
Me: "I'll consider it the next time my green card is close to expiration."

Ex Amex Card May 21, 2007 3:41 pm

I arrived in Dublin the other day and being a non-European passport holder I can't walk straight though immigration.

Immigration: What is the purpose of your trip?
Me: Visiting friends and family
Immigration: How long will you stay?
Me: Three days
Immigration: You already have 4 Irish visas and they are all expired
Me: Can I have another one please :)
Immigration: How often have you been to Ireland?
Me: At least 60 times over the past 15 years
Immigration: Enjoy your stay!

Arriving in Australia is always quite funny.

Immigration: Do you have any criminal convictions?
Me: I didn't know you needed them anymore!
Immigration: Do you know how many times I've heard that joke?
Me: Yeah, but it's still funny though. :D

aaac May 21, 2007 4:44 pm

US Custom: "Where are you going?"
Me: "I am going to __________"
US Custom: "Why?"
Me: "Visit my girlfriend"
US Custom: "Do you bring any Playboy magazines"
Me: "Excuse me?"