Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you ever leave your laptop in your hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever leave your laptop in your hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I generally leave it in the room. I will however at times us a cable lock or lock it up in a hard case suitcase.
Old May 17, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
I've been lugging these things around long enough that I no longer worry much about leaving them in a hotel room. I always stash my laptop out of sight when leaving it - sometimes in places that would take a pretty thorough search to turn up. And if there is an in-room safe large enough I always put it in there.

Backing up your hard drive regularly, and before you travel, is smart.
Old May 17, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
I have no problem leaving it in the room...usually I'll toss it in a drawer, but I know I've left it out when I've needed to charge it, and haven't had problems.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:53 am

One of the hotels I stayed with recently had a two-plug power outlet in the safe itself! I thought that was pretty nice, let you charge things while keeping them up and out of sight.

I'm not sure which hotel it was now, but I want to say it's the D2 in Chiang Mai. I've never seen that anywhere else (though I tend to stay in 3-star properties).
Old May 18, 2007, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by benolathe
Don't worry about the hotel staff - they're not going to risk their jobs by stealing from guests. But, the door is usually standing wide open when housekeeping is cleaning. So, I always just pick up my laptop and stick it in a drawer - so at least it is out of sight from other 'guests' passing in the hallway.
Wake up call for benolathe-hotel staffs do steal from guests quite often.
Old May 18, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
I lock my laptop in the safe when it's big enough, and otherwise tuck it away where it would be hard to find unless someone were committed to finding it.
So far, so good.
Old May 18, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LTPPE
I never thought twice about it-until my counterpart had it stolen from a Holiday Inn last year (took it on a family vacation no less). Security could tell that only the hotel maid had accessed the room, but provided no apologies,etc. Our company replaced the computer and we all use the "Do Not Disturb" sign, tv on, strategy from now on.
Old May 18, 2007, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I always leave it in my hotel room, usually in a drawer. If there's a safe large enough to hold it, I'll put it in there, but most often, I'm on a locked club floor and IMHO, I don't feel there's much need.

The camera equipment always goes in the safe, as do some of the credit cards and some cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.