Wiki Posts
Search

Violently ill passengers? Is this ok?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Elite
Violently ill passengers? Is this ok?

I am currently in Thailand with friends on vacation. Yesterday, on flight 27 from NRT to BKK, a woman in the row behind me was violently and loudly vomiting...long before the flight departed, and she continued to do so.

I was a bit nervous. The FAs saw her doing this, and walked on by. Obviously, with fears of crazy infectious diseases rampant in East Asia, I was a bit concerned. Happy I brought my vitamin C pills. Is this sort of thing allowed? I wasn't too happy to sit within four feet of a continuously-vomiting woman for a 6 hour+ flight.

Granted, I may be paranoid, but it didn't make for an enjoyable flight. Indeed, it made for a frightening one.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Was the flight totally full?

Did you ask to be moved to another seat?
Old May 7, 2007, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yogimax
Was the flight totally full?

Did you ask to be moved to another seat?
It was mostly full, and I did and move to another seat, but still within two rows of the woman. I didn't ask to be reseated, but the seat I took was one of the only available seats anyway.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:42 am

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
Originally Posted by zbc42782
It was mostly full, and I did and move to another seat, but still within two rows of the woman. I didn't ask to be reseated, but the seat I took was one of the only available seats anyway.
Morning sickness? I'd like to think so, and that the FAs asked about her health and knew what was up. That's all I can think of to excuse them keeping her on the flight.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
I am currently in Thailand with friends on vacation. Yesterday, on flight 27 from NRT to BKK, a woman in the row behind me was violently and loudly vomiting...long before the flight departed, and she continued to do so.
I find it hard to believe that the FA's didn't address this before the flight departed especially if they were made aware of it. Something doesn't sound right here.

I was on NW818 GRR-MEM on 5/7 when about 45 minutes out of MEM a gentleman began shaking terribly and screaming. His actions were similar to an epileptic attack or seizure only they didn't last for a short time, they continued through to the gate.

In this case the FA's first moved the two passengers in his row and then tried to address his situation. They then called for any medically trained person on board. Unfortunately there were none. With that it seemed they could only try to comfort him and at least one of the FA's were with him at all times until emergency staff could board.

I think the FA's on this flight should be commended for their actions both in comforting the pax and in moving the others to different seats.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

I was a bit nervous. The FAs saw her doing this, and walked on by. Obviously, with fears of crazy infectious diseases rampant in East Asia, I was a bit concerned. Happy I brought my vitamin C pills. Is this sort of thing allowed? I wasn't too happy to sit within four feet of a continuously-vomiting woman for a 6 hour+ flight.

Granted, I may be paranoid, but it didn't make for an enjoyable flight. Indeed, it made for a frightening one.

I would have asked for lead attendant and addressed this while on the ground. There is no reason in the world to take off with a violently ill person on board.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Hate Coach;7707553]I find it hard to believe that the FA's didn't address this before the flight departed especially if they were made aware of it. Something doesn't sound right here. QUOTE]

I agree that something doesn't sound right. But I'm not terribly sure the FAs spoke her language anyway.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:01 pm

Standing in line at the gate waiting for a seat change MSP-LAX yesterday. A blind gentleman standing next to me at the desk throwing up in a vomit bag (four or five times) while im speaking to the GA. She didnt even glance at him as the rest of the people started moving away. Im thinking there is no way she is going to let this sick guy get on the plane, but low and behold he was waiting for a seat change also, "here you go mr. johnson" and i'm thinking what illness does one have to have to be barred from flying on a plane.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:27 pm

That could potetially be my worst nightmare, particularly as a vomit-phobic (emetophobic). Fortunately in my years of flying I've only managed to get a few drops of someone else's lunch on me (thanks to a picture-perfect dive into the aisle...).

Personally, I feel that if you puke on a plane, you should be permanently 86ed from ever flying again. Doubt that'll go over too well, but a guy can hope...
Old May 8, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
If a person has an illness that may spread, they are not allowed to fly. However, a doctor may clear a person who is sick, and it cannot be passed on.

Last month I has a person who boarded who was vomitting everywhere before take off. We were about to have them taken off. Then were informed, this person had cancer, ans was going to MSP then RST to the Mayo. The reason for the vomit, was a recent chemotherapy treatment.
Old May 8, 2007, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This thread belongs in the TravelBuzz forum

NW forum moderator
Old May 8, 2007, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I posted on this same topic last year when a pax at BHM had his head in the gate area trash can for 30 minutes prior to boarding. I had a bulkhead seat and didn't see the guy so he was either in F or kept off. I'd have taken myself off the flight if he'd boarded and sat near me.

BTW, Vitamin C?? A St Christopher medal would provide more protection against the crud.
Old May 8, 2007, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
BTW, Vitamin C?? A St Christopher medal would provide more protection against the crud.
Haha...probably right, but I'll take what I can get.
Old May 8, 2007, 3:21 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by jjvan
If a person has an illness that may spread, they are not allowed to fly. However, a doctor may clear a person who is sick, and it cannot be passed on.

Last month I has a person who boarded who was vomitting everywhere before take off. We were about to have them taken off. Then were informed, this person had cancer, ans was going to MSP then RST to the Mayo. The reason for the vomit, was a recent chemotherapy treatment.
Vomiting can be, in and of itself, contagious. Repeated vomiting is reason alone to deny someone boarding. If offensive body odor is justification to deny boarding, then so is vomiting.

I would feel sorry for someone on chemo, but if this person were likely to repeatedly vomit on the aircraft, they should not have been allowed on the aircraft. OTOH if the person only vomited once, said they would take an antiemetic and would probably not vomit again, then it would be okay to let the board. It's a judgement call.
Old May 8, 2007, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a 10+ hour flight last year with a group of students. One was ill and they apparently snuck her on without telling anyone. It became clear that she was sick at some point during the flight, and upon landing they told everyone who was sitting in the back of the plane that they couldn't get off until medical personnel arrived. Fortunately, I was one row closer to the front than the cutoff point or I would have been pretty steamed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.