Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travelling with a customs carnet - any tips / advice

Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver

I shall shortly be travelling to Tokyo with a customs carnet for two large boxes of trade show equipment.

Is there anyone here who has done this who can offer me any advice?

Also, I've been told to check in 4 hours early in order to allow time for a customs agent to be found to do the papwerwork - but my flight is at 7am. Can I do the paperwork a day early?

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
...Can I do the paperwork a day early?...
It must be done the day of departure -- the date cannot be a day early, so you would have to do it after midnight. Japan is pretty strict that way, and if they say 4 hours, they mean 4 hours, never mind that it is a 7 am departure. Of course it takes 2 minutes for the paperwork, the other 4 hours is waiting for the guy with the stamp to see you. And if you are late, you will miss your flight, at least in NRT -- the customs guys really protect their turf, and will not be rushed. Bringing a small present sometimes works, btw.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 1:16 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
A small present? Heck, no! This isn't Mexico we're talking about--Japanese officials are very sensitive to bribery, at least as much so as you would expect in Japan.

When dealing with any administrative personnel in Japan, the key is to ask the person reviewing your paperwork how to complete the paperwork. That way, they can't reject the paperwork on formalistic grounds. (And if you try to do the paperwork without consulting with the person who will review it, the result will be a rejection on formalistic grounds 99% of the time.)

That has at least been my and my colleagues' collective experience with immigration, city hall, the police and the DMV. I'm sure that customs operates no differently...
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Actually I'm travelling TO Tokyo - so the paperwork and 4 hour requirement is with US customs before I leave, not with the Japanese Customs (I'll deal with them upon arrival, of course).

Thanks for the answers so far.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 7:51 pm

Smile Carnet

Which airport are you departing from?

I've had some experience with carnets and may be able to help you out.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

I'll be departing from PDX, and flying through LAX.

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:56 pm

Smile Customs carnet

0700 departure...it's going to be tricky.

Let me start by asking a few more questions.

Whose your carrier PDX/LAX and LAX/NRT?

What time do you arrive at LAX?

How soon is shortly?

The CBP Public Information Office is on the departure level of the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). Unfortunately, it doesn't open until 0700.

Besides the hours of operation for the PIO, the other issue is having your goods available for inspection. You're supposed to have the goods available for inspection when you present the carnet. If you're checked through from PDX to NRT, customs may refuse to process the carnet without the goods being available. But let's hold that thought until I find out how long your connection is.

There is a 24 hour CBP cargo facility on S. La Cienega Blvd. However, you'll have to schlep your stuff over there and back. Furthermore, from what I can remember, it's not "on demand". Meaning you drop your paperwork in a box and have a seat. When they get to you, they get to you.

Technically, you're supposed to have the paperwork completed at LAX since it's your last US port before departure.

Departing LAX so early is a real bear when it comes to Customs issues. A lot of people depart in the middle of the night (0200-0500) and don't realize that nobody is on staff at that time of night.

I'll ask around and see if I can find a really good answer for you.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:35 pm

Pheonix airport

Where is the Customs Staff to sign off on a Canadian Carnet. I am travelling Phoenix through Charlotte to Toronto. No one seems to know where to go. Does anyone?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Mary Lou Copeland
Where is the Customs Staff to sign off on a Canadian Carnet. I am travelling Phoenix through Charlotte to Toronto. No one seems to know where to go. Does anyone?
From the PHX Sky Harbor website the US Customs Port Director is in the cargo section of the airport. Unless you have a car, you would need to take a taxi over there; it is about five driving miles from Terminal 4.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Is there anyone here who has done this who can offer me any advice?
My advice (which likely won't go over well) is this: Ship the stuff separately and let someone else handle the customs brokerage.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary Lou Copeland
I don't know Phoenix, but it could well be off airport, given my experience back in 2007. I went the day before to get the paperwork sorted since my flight departed sooner than they opened and there were absolutely no problems – it was surprisingly painless and hassle-free. And arriving in Tokyo with the carnet got me through customs much faster than the normal line.

For my return I had the products shipped and someone else dealt with customs, which was much much easier.

So, I would recommend that you try the day before, rather than your day of departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.