FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Passport Renewal Trip Not in < 2 weeks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/685261-passport-renewal-trip-not-2-weeks.html)

auher Apr 22, 07 12:38 pm

Passport Renewal Trip Not in < 2 weeks?

Question....

What if my trip isn't till 7/9, but I want to renew my passport now. Can I still apply via the expedited service? Reason I can't wait is due to question (2) :)

Question 2)

I have a valid visa in my passport I need to renew. How can I get this transfered to a new passport? Are there agencies that could help with this? It is a Pakistani visa, if that matters.......

Any help is appreciated. I'm sure others have ran into this same issue....

-A

pdhenry Apr 22, 07 4:13 pm

Q1: They'll take your expedite fee without any explaining on your part.

Q2.I don't know what the process is, but you will get your old passport back with the visa stamp. The passport itself will be invalidated (They'll punch a hole through it).

flipside Apr 22, 07 4:36 pm

I'm not sure what Pakistan's position is on Visa's, but in my case, my Brazilian visa was still valid inside my old expired passport.

You might want to check with the consulate before trying to get a new visa, you probably don't have to.

auher Apr 22, 07 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by pdhenry (Post 7622744)
Q1: They'll take your expedite fee without any explaining on your part.

Q2.I don't know what the process is, but you will get your old passport back with the visa stamp. The passport itself will be invalidated (They'll punch a hole through it).

Not sure about them taking the expedite fee without any explaining.....everything I've read seems like I must submit proof of departure. I assume I could get a fully refundable ticket and go this route....or does anyone know of a company that doesn't require that?

Also - any recommendations about good expeditor's? Esp given the current backlog, I think a quality service is important.....

pdhenry Apr 22, 07 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by auher (Post 7622845)
everything I've read seems like I must submit proof of departure.

I think that applies when your departure is within a week or two and you need urgent service.

I've done an expedited renewal, simply because we were going to travel with a passport with under 6 months validity. Didn't need any proof for a "regular" expedite.

Look here:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...sing_1740.html

You don't need an expediting company for doing a normal or expedited renewal. Just mail it into the processing center.

beachfamily Apr 22, 07 6:52 pm

I just sent in a passport renewal application on an expedited basis. I have a trip at the end of June and was told regular speed could take up to 10 weeks and I didn't want to cut it that close. I didn't have to do any explaining, just had to pay the extra fee.

oldpenny16 Apr 22, 07 9:26 pm

I sent mine in 'expedited' without any problems. I put down a trip for late summer. By the time I got my passport back in hand I found I had a trip in June (that's the way my life goes) so it was jolly good I expedited. Expedited plus overnight mail each way worked for me. If you send it in regular US mail, it gets into the general (slow) pile and takes a while to get sorted out of it.

auher Apr 23, 07 1:06 am

Cool - this is good news. I didn't for whatever reason realize that the Natl' Passport Center offered this expedite feature, I thought only the expediators did :rolleyes: I'm a moron :)

Anyways - what would you suggest based on experience - should I BRING IN the passport to a post office, or mail via express mail? I'll do whatever is faster/better - just curious as to people's various experiences. From the website of the Natl' Passport Center, it appears like I could do either and be OK.

pdhenry Apr 23, 07 1:39 pm

For a renewal you just mail it in; I don't know that taking it to a Post Office would speed it up. On first-time passports there's more of an ID check which is why the "Passport Acceptance Facility," e.g. a Post Office comes into play. Just mark "expedite" on the mailing envelope, and use an overnight mailing service if you're nervous (but I think you have plenty of time).

Yaatri Apr 23, 07 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by auher (Post 7622845)
Not sure about them taking the expedite fee without any explaining.....everything I've read seems like I must submit proof of departure. I assume I could get a fully refundable ticket and go this route....or does anyone know of a company that doesn't require that?

Also - any recommendations about good expeditor's? Esp given the current backlog, I think a quality service is important.....

I renewed my passport in person. I was asked to produce documentation that showed that I was travelling within the following two weeks. At first, I was told I could pick my renewed passport up in a couple of days. When I him tthat I would rather have it the same day as I had to apply for Chinese visa too, he relented. I suggest, you have proof of travel within the following two weeks if you want your passport the same day. But if you are going to have it mailed back to you, no proof is necessary.

beachfamily Apr 24, 07 9:27 am

Just so anyone interested can have an idea of timing on an expedited passport ( sent through normal channels but with paying the additional fee). I fedexed in the application and check on Friday April 13, 2007 and my new passport arrived at my home via regular mail yesterday Aprll 23. This was considerably faster than I expected.