Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I Don't Understand People Who Spend $$$$ On Biz Tickets, & Only $ On Hotels

I Don't Understand People Who Spend $$$$ On Biz Tickets, & Only $ On Hotels

Old Apr 22, 07, 6:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 252
I Don't Understand People Who Spend $$$$ On Biz Tickets, & Only $ On Hotels

Case in point...

I'd much rather pay $1000 for a coach ticket JFK-NRT and $4K for a week at the Park Hyatt Tokyo than $7000 for a biz ticket and stay at some mediocre joint.

My boss thinks nothing of $8000 biz class tickets to London but balks at $350/night hotel rooms.
n5177c is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 8:35 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lahaina, Hawai'i
Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Posts: 4,786
I'm kinda with your boss here. One is never really "stuck" in a hotel room, but one can surely be "stuck" on an airplane, willing to pay almost anything to "Stop the torture!".

Often, the coach experience is something just this side of 12 hours in a dental chair, with thumb screws; up front in F is just this side of the Peacock Throne with handmaidens in attendance!

On a tourist, or even business trip, one may find oneself leaving the hotel room at 7:30am, and not returning until 10:30pm; always out and about, using the hotel only for ingress, egress, sleeping, and showering. Don't really want anything but a comfortable bed and a hot shower. No need for the bells and whistles.

And psychologically, spending a week or 10 days dreading the return flight can really put the kibosh on the all-around experience; whereas spending a week or two of glorious anticipation of a fabulous flight home can really add to the overall experience.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks; personal preference, and whatnot.

Oh, yeah: I forgot to add: That with the wonderful advice, tips, information, and resources from FlyerTalk, one doesnt need to spend anywhere near $8000 to fly around the world consistently in F or J!!!! ^

Last edited by kaukau; Apr 22, 07 at 9:35 am
kaukau is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 9:26 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK - Cymru
Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Posts: 850
Originally Posted by kaukau View Post
I'm kinda with your boss here. One is never really "stuck" in a hotel room, but one can surely be "stuck" on an airplane, willing to pay almost anything to "Stop the torture!".

Often, the coach experience is something just this side of 12 hours in a dental chair, with thumb screws; up front in F is just this side of the Peacock Throne with handmaidens in attendance!

On a tourist, or even business trip, one may find oneself leaving the hotel room at 7:30am, and not returning until 10:30pm; always out and about, using the hotel only for ingress, egress, sleeping, and showering. Don't really want anything but a comfortable bed and a hot shower. No need for the bells and whistles.

And psychologically, spending a week or 10 days dreading the return flight can really put the kibosh on the all-around experience; whereas spending a week or two of glorious anticipation of a fabulous flight home can really add to the overall experience.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks; personal preference, and whatnot.

Oh, yeah: I forgot to add: That with the wonderful advice, tips, information, and resources from Flyertalk, one doesnt need to spend anywhere near $8000 to fly around the world consistently in F or J!!!! ^
I usually trim long quotes rather than putting them in in their entirety but I agree with every single word of this reply! I actually resent paying sums of eg $350 on a hotel room which I really only see when I wake up or for a little while in the evening. Comfortable beds and nice bathrooms can be had for much less, the lobby might not be as posh but I don't spent a lot of time in there. However an exception would be if I needed a lot of room and business amenities.
flyingsaucer is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 9:28 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Posts: 386
Originally Posted by kaukau View Post
I'm kinda with your boss here. One is never really "stuck" in a hotel room, but one can surely be "stuck" on an airplane, willing to pay almost anything to "Stop the torture!".
This sums up my feelings exactly. For me a hotel is a place to sleep and shower. As long as it is clean and relatively comfortable, I'm fine. This can be achieved in a hotel spending $ or at most $$. To find comfort in the air, $$$$ is often the only option available.
Mudfish is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 9:48 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,300
Well, last month I flew CX J to japan and the average nightly charge for my hotel was $55 - 60 a night (cheapest $45 a night) so you could say I agree with your boss. I will often splurge on a great ryokan/onsen in the alps though however to me thats not so much paying for luxury but for an experience which is unique to japan.
IMOA is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 9:52 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ELP
Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Posts: 3,923
here are my 2 cents on this topic....

On an airline, you would rather be by yourself in a cocoon, such as a J or F seat....not with 3 other people next to you

In a hotel, you are by yourself, and at night with the lights off, all hotels looks the same especially when you are travelling on business...
anaggie is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 10:31 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,223
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
In a hotel, you are by yourself, and at night with the lights off, all hotels looks the same especially when you are travelling on business...
Beds and bedding are different.

Tiny vs large bathroom can make a difference.

On holiday you're likely to spend more time in your room (different vacation styles), even on some business trips you might be killing time there.

Then there's resorts and their facilities, a nice pool and spa (of course you can leave the property for a different spa, and you PAY for spa treatments, but being somewhere with a nice spa can be worth some extra $$).

Having someone to make plans and handle requests for you at the hotel can be quite nice... a nice executive lounge...

All things that are worth paying for, to me.

But the real question is, why not do both??? Fly in a premium cabin and stay at a nice property!
gleff is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 10:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,300
Because while those things are worth paying for to you they are not worth anything to others.
IMOA is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 10:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ELP
Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Posts: 3,923
Originally Posted by gleff View Post
Beds and bedding are different.

Tiny vs large bathroom can make a difference.

On holiday you're likely to spend more time in your room (different vacation styles), even on some business trips you might be killing time there.

Then there's resorts and their facilities, a nice pool and spa (of course you can leave the property for a different spa, and you PAY for spa treatments, but being somewhere with a nice spa can be worth some extra $$).

Having someone to make plans and handle requests for you at the hotel can be quite nice... a nice executive lounge...

All things that are worth paying for, to me.

But the real question is, why not do both??? Fly in a premium cabin and stay at a nice property!
I completely agree with you on this for vacation travel....when I travel with my family, I prefer to stay at 5 star hotel as all the above things are a necessity when travelling with family....plus my rule is "If it is not better than my house, then why go there?"

but for business travel, HIX works perfectly fine for me...

as for premium cabin, when you fly for work, you go there and come back...no time to recuperate from a long overseas flight..better to get your rest in a premium cabin....
anaggie is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 11:21 am
  #10  
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Athens, GA USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,736
Originally Posted by Mudfish View Post
This sums up my feelings exactly. For me a hotel is a place to sleep and shower. As long as it is clean and relatively comfortable, I'm fine. This can be achieved in a hotel spending $ or at most $$. To find comfort in the air, $$$$ is often the only option available.
I totally agree with this post. For me, as long as a room is safe and everything is in working order, I would rather pay less $s for the room and have more to spend on enjoying the location.

William
wharvey is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 11:41 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 573
I think I've said this before, but....

Flights

Business:
When I arrive somewhere far away, I need to be awake and in a good shape to work. This means either me arriving 1-2 days in advance with time to recover (and being "down" when returning), or travelling on C or better -- long-haul. Usually, arriving 1-2 days in advance and spending the time on just "Recovering" is not financially viable as compared to the alternative...

Pleasure:
I work hard, and have short time off, so when we go somewhere far away on vacation, we want to maximize the time where we can see stuf or lie on the beach or whatever the topic of the vacation is. Can't "afford" if we have one week off to spend 2 days in either end "recovering" from the trip. Again, this is true for long-haul, where C is the more viable thing.

So, in summary, for long-haul flights, C or above is really "worth it" compared to the alternative of "recovery-time" in both ends.

Hotel

Business:
Need a place to sleep - quiet, safe, convenient are the requirements. Small or big bathrooms, I couldn't in general care much. Often, a small workdesk is a good thing. In any event, I'll spend ~6h/day in the hotel only, mostly sleeping.

In Japan, the Toyoko-Inns are actually damm good hotels, and I use them a lot. They're also about only 40Eur/night or so......skimpy? Nope, the hotel satisfy my criteria.

Pleasure:
Essentially the same as business, except that a work-desk is rarely required and that we usually appreciate a slightly bigger bathroom (& shower cabin) when we're there the both of us.

So in summary, hotel-rooms are parking-lots for the old meatsack when it's not used elsewhere Anywhere safe and quiet is actually good enough.

That said, if I can get a decent deal of a good hotel -- or if somebody else picks up the bill (as usually is the case when travelling for work) -- then I take it and enjoy
voop is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 12:06 pm
  #12  
mkt
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MIA/SJU
Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Posts: 3,289
Just a mere 18 months ago, in the days of Independence Air, I would regularly run up to DC and spend ¢ on a ticket while spending $$$-$$$$ on my hotel.

Those were fun times

now for this, when I go to London, I spend $$ going MCO-MIA-LON (I won't take one of the MCO-LGW/MAN nonstops... I just won't) and spend $$-$$$ on my hotel.
mkt is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 12:55 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Posts: 300
"I Don't Understand People Who Spend $$$$ On Biz Tickets & Only $ On Hotels"

I don't understand this either. I never spend more than $$ to fly in C or F, and certainly no more than $$ for better hotels.
Dudemius is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 1:18 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BTR, MSY
Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
Posts: 200
It is personal choice, but I feel the key is a SAFE, CLEAN room. If you are saving money and going to a hotel that is across the street from a crack house (true story) it isn't worth it. Last year several times I was stuck in less than desireable locations in an effort to save money(aka boss is cheap). Thus, if you are an area your business frequents and coworkers/you know the cheaper joints, I think it is a fine idea. However, if it is an initial visit, get to know the lay of the land before booking an inexpensive hotel. Also, although at least an average size male, I don't mind C. I can sleep anytime and anywhere so C suits me just fine.
boilers is offline  
Old Apr 22, 07, 4:38 pm
  #15  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,014
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I totally agree with this post. For me, as long as a room is safe and everything is in working order, I would rather pay less $s for the room and have more to spend on enjoying the location.

William
Agree. On a typical trip I will spend far longer inflight than in hotel room. And the quality onboard (and in airports) makes a big difference to how well I get to enjoy my time on the ground. Whereas, once above a basic level, hotel only has a marginal effect on how well I get to enjoy my time on the ground.

Of course if I can get a nice hotel cheaply (like a couple of years ago bagging an exec suite at Cavalieri on a free hotel stay voucher courtesy of a HHonors promo which cost me nothing above what I was spending anyway) then that is great. But I wouldn't dream of spending a lot of extra $$$$ (or euros) to stay there.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: