FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Top Five Things You've Seen/Done While Traveling

1. Bioluminescent Bay, Puerto Rico
2. BridgeClimb, Sydney
3. Guri Dam, Venezuela
4. Scuba diving, Great Barrier Reef
5. Walking the Great Wall of China with my mother, wife and daughter.

Honorable mention:
Standing in Red Square

Last edited by redbeard911; Apr 7, 2007 at 12:25 pm
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Off the top of my head;
  • Petra, Jordan
  • Red Square on New Years Eve
  • Reading War & Peace in Moscow. (It reads differently when the action of the novel is taking place two blocks from where you sit, and you walked home along those streets that day.)
  • Fought a bull in Spain (It ended well for all involved. And I must confess it was fairly small as bulls go. More annoyed than angry. Something they set up for a conference I was at. I call it my Hemingway moment.)
  • Sailed a J-class America's Cup yacht off Auckland

And one more I forgot;
  • Spending the night in a Berber tent on the edge of the Sahara, then getting up at 5:00am to ride a camel to the top of the dunes and watch the sun rise over the Sahara. In Morocco, near Erfoud, if I recall.

And by the way, this actually was a great post by the OP! ^

Last edited by AC110; Apr 6, 2007 at 3:49 pm Reason: one more I forgot
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
1. Standing on top of Mt Rainier, Seattle - technically not traveling
2. FanFest / Semifinals World Cup 2006, Munich, Germany
3. Dinner with Stangers in Japanese Ryoken, Narai, Japan
4. FC Barcelona Football Match at Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain
5. Sailing off the Coast of Cozumel, Mexico

6. Attending Elephant Orphanage, Sri Lanka
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA GfL
1. Standing next to molten, cooling lava and watching the lava flows at night on the Big Island, Hawaii
2. Getting up close and personal with wildlife on the Galapagos Islands
3. Watching a total solar eclipse in the wilderness in northern Zimbabwe
4. Eating the best plate of seafood ever in Gandia, Spain
5. Spending a day at a provincial wrestling and horse racing festival at Tsagaan Nuur, Mongolia
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
(not in any particular order)

1. Dancing up front and ducking trombone slides at a packed Rebirth Brass Band show, on a Tuesday night at the Maple Leaf in New Orleans.

2. Listening to an all-Japanese bluegrass/western band cover Johnny Cash and the Grateful Dead in a tiny bar on the top floor of a nondescript office building in Tokyo.

3. Snorkeling in Aruba. I'm sure there are better spots, but this was my first time.

4. Skiing in shorts and a T shirt, late April at Snowbird.

5. Jazzfest in New Orleans
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, not in any order except as they occur to me:

1. Standing in Tiananmen Square and seeing the Forbidden City.

2. Riding a camel in the desert in Rajasthan.

3. Eating at Cal Pep in Barcelona (I'd go back just for that even if I didn't really like Barcelona -- and I do.).

4. Lunch at Doyen on my first trip (as an adult) to Paris (hmmm . . .lots about eating).

5. Seeing prehistoric cave paintings in Northern Spain, tied with, watching a bullfight in Seville and meeting the matadors later in the hotel elevator (hmmm . . . lots of things in Spain).

Of course, my real number one: Meeting she-who-is-now-Mrs. PTravel in Shekou, a small town south of Shenzhen.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In all seriousness, the funniest thing I've ever done while traveling was to go to the Jumping Crododile Cruise on the Adelaide River in Australia. See:

http://www.jumpingcrocodile.com.au/

I laughed the entire trip.

The most amazing experience was Uluru (fka Ayers Rock).

The most humbling thing was the way we Americans were embraced by the Danish people when stuck in Copenhagen after 9/11.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Only four that I can think of (in no particular order)

1) Having the prarie dog town to myself in Badlands National Park (South Dakota) on an early winter day. It was just me and thousands of fat prarie dogs getting ready for hibernation.

2) Exploring Ayutthaya (the former capital of Thailand) on a rented bicycle. With fellow FT'er Oreck no less! We meandered our way through several ruins, temples, and residential areas.

3) Visiting an estancia outside Buenos Aires, Argentina and spending the afternoon with the owner's son playing classic rock on his guitar.

4) Getting some time on Boeing's 747 flight simulator in Seattle, Washington.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by Condition One
1) Having the prarie dog town to myself in Badlands National Park (South Dakota) on an early winter day. It was just me and thousands of fat prarie dogs getting ready for hibernation.
Sounds like you were lucky to escape!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:57 pm

Also not in order except for #1 which is still #1.

1) Meeting La Cochinita in Mexico City.

2) Early morning hike with our son in Iguazu National Park to see the toucans and monkeys.

3) Introductory flight lesson in a Cessna 182 out of Kona International Airport, Big Island, Hawaii.

4) Seeing Mount Fuji clearly for the first time.

5) Visiting Prague and the Berlin Wall in 1976; the Cold War was still happening so it was quite the impression for a teenager to visit Czechoslovakia and East Germany.

Last edited by El Cochinito; Apr 6, 2007 at 4:21 pm
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Great question.

In no particular order:

** Climbed Ben Nevis in penny loafers with a kitbag full of Tennent's Export.

** Viewed a dead-silent, crystal-clear sunrise from a roadhouse in the Australian outback.

** Purchased two Cartes Mobilier from a Paris Metro kiosk, prompting my young son to gaze up at me in genuine astonishment and swoon: "Dad! You... you spoke French!"

** Slept in a teepee amidst grassland on the Nebraska - South Dakota border.

** Snorkeled for hours in the beautiful waters off Virgin Gorda.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: US,HH
1. Walking the Great Wall of China
2. Climbing a glacier somewhere in Alaska
3. Building a beer can pyramid on the balcony of our condo, singing Brown Eyed Girl on our annual girls trek to PVR.
4. Wine, cheese and bread under a shade tree on a beautiful October day in Napa.
5. Meeting Joe Don of Rascal Flats in the pool at Palmilla in Cabo. He's a hotty....too bad he was there getting married
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:57 pm

Five favorite travel experiences

1. Poling through the Okavango Delta in a mokoro and the absolute peacefulness.

2. Seeing the pyramids in Egypt and floating down the Nile.

3. Being in Antarctica and the wonder of it all.

4. Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef.

5. Snorkeling with millions of jellyfish in a lake on the island of Kakaban, Indonesia.

I just have to add one more - a visit to the people of Torajaland on the island of Sulawesi. A very special experience.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
1. Scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef
2. Seeing the Taj Mahal
3. Watching the human chess game in Marostica, Italy
4. Wandering thru the art museums of Paris
5. Can't decide between too many options!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:10 pm

Rather arbitrarily limiting them to one per country, and in no order:

1) First visit to the Acropolis. I'd spent years studying it, but nothing prepared me for the grandeur of the approach to the Parthenon.

2) First view of the Stephansdom in Vienna. Hard to describe the effect; after a long tiring train ride [note: there's something much more memorable about arriving in Vienna for the first time by train than by air] I got to my hotel, which was very close to it but in an area where you couldn't see it until you got almost right next to it. It was night and I took a walk and turned a corner and it was breathtakingly there, lit up with blue light.

3) An afternoon at the Kabuki-za in Tokyo. One of the most pleasure-filled three hours I've spent.

4) The whole British Museum, especially the Parthenon sculptures and the Assyrian Hall.

5) The museum at Olympia. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. (I know I said I wouldn't list two in the same country. I lied.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.