Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are you "entertained" when watching self-upgraders getting caught?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles

Was on a flight from YYZ-ORD this evening. Before the door was shut, the business class flight attendant brought out the manifest and reconciled every pax in the cabin (it was an MD-80; AA sells first as "business" to/from Canada).

Low and behold, the guy in 6A was a poacher, attempting a self-upgrade! She swiftly shuttled him on a short walk of shame just a couple rows behind the divider to coach, and then the door was shut, and off we went.

Anyone else besides me find this amusing? This always puts a smile on my face to see someone try this get caught and sent on the walk of shame.

Despite his ejection, this didn't stop him from using the lavatory up front while in flight. I know, it's permissable now for Y pax to use the F (or C) lavs, but after being booted from the cabin as a poacher and going back to use the lavs, he certainly has cojones.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:28 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
Was on a flight from YYZ-ORD this evening. Before the door was shut, the business class flight attendant brought out the manifest and reconciled every pax in the cabin (it was an MD-80; AA sells first as "business" to/from Canada).
Despite his ejection, this didn't stop him from using the lavatory up front while in flight. I know, it's permissable now for Y pax to use the F (or C) lavs, but after being booted from the cabin as a poacher and going back to use the lavs, he certainly has cojones.
Isn't it only on US bound international flights that the rule (silly or not) against Y pax using the F lav still exists?

I would say kick the guy off for [attempted] theft of service, but if AA is selling Mad Dog F as "Business", then that's theft...
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have to admit that I enjoy watching folks get caught for self upgrading. It's the school teacher (very old school) in me who wants to have rules enforced.

I've noticed FA's very often called each First Class passenger by name as tehy walk the aisle the first time. A gracious greeting, but also they are checking who's who.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:39 am

Maybe it is a school teacher thing because I always like to see rules enforced as well.^
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
... confirms what I'd long suspected about school teachers.
I'd just as soon see the rules adhered to in the first place.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
In 10 plus years of flying 100K+ per year almost all in F, I've never seen this. I do think it would be amusing, it sounds like it happens and I'm just not paying attention.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I am almost embarrassed for this poacher. How could anyone in their right mind do this? What a jerk. I might have given him a dirty look, but people like that just think they are entitled.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Never seen it either, but it would certainly be amusing. Even more amusing would be their being booted off the flight and forfeit of any unused ticket value for attempting theft.

"You mean this isn't coach class? I could have sworn it was".
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:03 am

I would rather be entertained watching self-upgraders getting caught than being caught watching self-entertainers upgrading.

Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
On the other hand, it is entertaining to see the FAs embarrassment when a passenger turns out to be in the right cabin. My ex and I were flying in the first class cabin and he hung his garment bag in the closet. The FA said, sir, you can't hang that there; it's for first class passengers only. She was a bit embarrassed when he said he was a first class passenger. I'm not sure why she thought he wasn't; we were nicely dressed.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I don't and wouldn't find "self-upgraders" getting caught entertaining. My feelings would better be described as the satisfaction of seeing "justice done" when the person is forced to get what he/she deserves.

One of my "pet peeves" are people who think they can just go right ahead exempt themselves from the rules by which everyone else has to play. To me, it's the epitome of arrogance.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etch5895
Never seen it either, but it would certainly be amusing. Even more amusing would be their being booted off the flight and forfeit of any unused ticket value for attempting theft.

"You mean this isn't coach class? I could have sworn it was".
I did once sit in someone's Premium Economy Seat absolutely believing I was in the right row. I was in the slightly less comfortable economy seat directly behind it (in SAS long haul).

I was extremely embarassed when the pax arrived and glared at me. (Thinking about it now, it was actually just before I realised my eyesight was pants and got my first pair of spectacles...)
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
One of the gate agents came aboard my flight from Jfk to Lhr Friday night. Something wasn't right. She demanded to see the boarding passes of a few pax. She sent one guy seated in biz class in the row in front of me packing back to coach. Then the door closed and we departed the gate.
It was like watching an episode of the tv show "Cops", where I get to see people caught in the glare of lights and cameras making foolish decisions. My ego could not take it.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by ralfp
Isn't it only on US bound international flights that the rule (silly or not) against Y pax using the F lav still exists?
YYZ-ORD.

Last time I checked, that was US-bound international.

Unless we invaded.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i've seen self upgraders
and i've seen self upgraders get caught ^
(and every time i think to myself "how does it feel to want")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.