FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Yay! FCC continues to block cellphone use in-flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/678783-yay-fcc-continues-block-cellphone-use-flight.html)

RustyC Apr 3, 2007 8:16 pm

Yay! FCC continues to block cellphone use in-flight

Read all about it

Finally, the federal agency that destroyed broadcast radio gets something right.

massiek Apr 3, 2007 9:41 pm

Great news. Just got off a night flight. Would have been tough to sleep with cell phones ringing throughout the night.

keith

RustyC Apr 3, 2007 9:54 pm

Here's an MSNBC commentary about the decision. Apparently the public input was overwhelmingly opposed to allowing the cellphone calls.

The writer thinks the market could work in this situation by pressuring airlines to ban using the cellphones if the federal rules were someday lifted. I wish I could agree, but I don't. People often have to choose an airline (or have it chosen for them) because they live in a hub or need a particular schedule or for any number of reasons other than cellphone policies.

Without the government mandate there will also be pressure from workaholic higher-ups on the ground to stay in constant communication; if Larry Tate isn't on the plane then he could care less what the other passengers sitting around Darrin Stevens think when he calls Darrin. But he'll get upset if Darrin doesn't answer and Darrin doesn't want to lose his job. Spouses already feeling somewhat neglected might also take it as a slight if their calls keep rolling to voice mail.

Very important to have it government-mandated. Self-regulation won't work.

alanh Apr 4, 2007 12:45 am

However, note the FCC's sphere of influence is restricted to the technology. They can ban if it they think it will jam the terrestrial network, but not because people will be jerks while using them.

The FAA might have a broader mandate with respect to passenger conduct, but I'll bet it won't go that far.

aeneastwin Apr 4, 2007 6:36 am

FCC says no to cell phones

The FCC is keeping its rule in place about turning off cell phones during airplane flights.

At the risk of sounding like a clucking maiden aunt, the standard of manners in America has been going downhill for decades. If people were allowed to use their cell phones during a flight, they would subject everyone in the plane to their loud, inane chatter -- it would be a new form of extended torture for travellers. And the flight attendants would have to break up fist fights.

I recently travelled first class from Fort Lauderdale to New York and the loudness of people's conversations was deafening. There were constantly passengers from economy demanding to use the first class bathroom because an exception had to be made in their case. Of course, as soon as we landed the cell phones got turned on and I had to hear the person next to me issuing executive orders to his secretary. At one point, a very drunk guy in the opposite aisle accused me and the person sitting next to me of being brothers. He started yelling over and over again that we must be brothers (we had never met before).

Thank you Flyertalk for allowing me to rant. And thank God that there will be no cell phones turned on during flights!

GaryO3 Apr 4, 2007 7:37 am

FCC says 'no' to cell phones on planes (not quite on topic)Merged threads

Thankfully someone has seen the light ^ ^

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/04/03....ap/index.html

peteropny Apr 4, 2007 7:58 am

I think this topic is more appropriate for TravelBuzz.

KENNECTED Apr 4, 2007 8:03 am

This is currently being discussed over in the Travel Technology Forum

doctall41 Apr 4, 2007 8:40 am

Originally Posted by aeneastwin (Post 7524260)
The FCC is keeping its rule in place about turning off cell phones during airplane flights.

At the risk of sounding like a clucking maiden aunt, the standard of manners in America has been going downhill for decades. If people were allowed to use their cell phones during a flight, they would subject everyone in the plane to their loud, inane chatter -- it would be a new form of extended torture for travellers. And the flight attendants would have to break up fist fights.

I recently travelled first class from Fort Lauderdale to New York and the loudness of people's conversations was deafening. There were constantly passengers from economy demanding to use the first class bathroom because an exception had to be made in their case. Of course, as soon as we landed the cell phones got turned on and I had to hear the person next to me issuing executive orders to his secretary. At one point, a very drunk guy in the opposite aisle accused me and the person sitting next to me of being brothers. He started yelling over and over again that we must be brothers (we had never met before).

Thank you Flyertalk for allowing me to rant. And thank God that there will be no cell phones turned on during flights!

I agree that I don't want cell phone access during flights. It's annoying! But, don't tell me it's for security reasons, but bravo anyway!

sh9168 Apr 4, 2007 10:30 am

Originally Posted by doctall41 (Post 7524809)
I agree that I don't want cell phone access during flights. It's annoying! But, don't tell me it's for security reasons, but bravo anyway!

Actually it's for 3 Reasons. 1 There are so many different types of phones that they can't all be tested on an aircraft.. Some have shown to actually have an effect on the planes wiring system. Not many but a few. The FAA believes it's better to ban them all then to have the wrong person get on the plane and cause a mishap.
2. They can jam up the system on the ground due to the plane passing from tower to tower quickly.
3 They want your undivided atterntion while taking off and landing. If the sh*t hits the fan you dont want to get stuck behind some idiot that didnt hear the instructions because he was too busy talking on the phone and doesn't know what to do.

rbrenton88 Apr 4, 2007 10:40 am

Amen. Best news this week.

timstravel Apr 4, 2007 10:47 am

Thanks for making my point that a cell phone is not a requirement for an inane, boring, obnoxious or loud conversation being conducted on a plane.

I fail to understand why this decision should not have been based entirely on technical reasons.

sundrop Apr 4, 2007 10:55 am

The reasoning behind the decision was technical. But the avalanche of comments the Federal Communications Commission has logged from airline travelers have been nothing short of visceral.

The agency has been considering lifting its ban on cell phone usage on airplanes since 2004. Unlike the Federal Aviation Administration, which bans the use of cell phones and other portable electronic devices for fear they will interfere with navigational and communications systems, the FCC's concern is interference with other cell phone signals on the ground.
Simply put, if the airlines truly thought the mobile phones were a serious risk to their equipment's functionality, they would confiscate them in security.
As it is, they just issue a friendly reminder to please be sure all cell phones are powered off. Can you imagine them saying, "Please ensure all firearms are unloaded and have the safety feature turned on."

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report_sets/ped.pdf

ButIsItArt Apr 4, 2007 11:01 am

Nothing surprises me on the FLL-NYC route on any carrier anymore...this is not the route most favored by the olives in America's martini

etch5895 Apr 4, 2007 11:16 am

At one point, a very drunk guy in the opposite aisle accused me and the person sitting next to me of being brothers. He started yelling over and over again that we must be brothers (we had never met before).

This is the part that I find funny. So what if you were brothers?