FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What's the oddest thing you've smuggled across a border? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/678039-whats-oddest-thing-youve-smuggled-across-border.html)

cj001f Apr 2, 2007 1:43 am

What's the oddest thing you've smuggled across a border?

Car? Dead Body? Messageboard poster?

remyontheroad Apr 2, 2007 2:36 am

Salt

I once helped a guy smuggle 700lbs of salt from Cote D'Ivoire to Mali.

Met him on a bus.

Got off the bus at the border, he offered to "help me find a taxi" across the border. I got the front seat, the salt went in the back, covered by a blanket.
He disappeared into the brush and reappeared at the side of the road on the other side of the border.

He paid the driver and bought me a Pepsi.

And we all went on our merry ways.

GuyverII Apr 2, 2007 3:37 am

A bull's ear from a bullfight in Seville, Spain. Got it past the doggies at JFK.

OttoMH Apr 2, 2007 4:17 am

Originally Posted by remyontheroad (Post 7511204)
I once helped a guy smuggle 700lbs of salt from Cote D'Ivoire to Mali.

Met him on a bus.

Got off the bus at the border, he offered to "help me find a taxi" across the border. I got the front seat, the salt went in the back, covered by a blanket.
He disappeared into the brush and reappeared at the side of the road on the other side of the border.

He paid the driver and bought me a Pepsi.

And we all went on our merry ways.

Salt eh :rolleyes: C17H21NO4 could be considered a salt ;)

Make sure you don't end up in some crazy foreign jail having your nuts cut off or some such!

OliviaM Apr 2, 2007 4:36 am

None so far. And I'm waiting for that time I'd do something odd for fun. :D Anyone who's got plan of inviting me?:cool:

remyontheroad Apr 2, 2007 4:55 am

Originally Posted by OttoMH (Post 7511359)
Salt eh :rolleyes: C17H21NO4 could be considered a salt ;)

Make sure you don't end up in some crazy foreign jail having your nuts cut off or some such!

Well.. sure tasted like NaCl, but I never did know what C17H21NO4 is supposed to taste/feel like when you rub it on your gums like they do on TV, so who knows...

Guess I was just lucky.

:p

redbeard911 Apr 2, 2007 7:10 am

A Ukrainian flag and caviar from then-USSR in the 80's.

derpelikan Apr 2, 2007 8:28 am

caviar

Originally Posted by redbeard911 (Post 7511855)
A Ukrainian flag and caviar from then-USSR in the 80's.

on my last flight i took 1.7kg caviar to asia.

dont know if it is forbidden though..

dp

rbrenton88 Apr 2, 2007 10:26 am

I have a friend in Jakarta who wanted to replace his grass with the softer US variety, so I went to Home Depot and bought a 5-lb bag of Scott's grass seed and packed it on my next trip to Indo.

He later reported that it began to grow in his yard and then quickly died off.

asya999 Apr 2, 2007 10:35 am

Myself.

I found myself in Tijuana Mexico without any id (pre-9/11) having left my wallet in the car on the US side of the border. This was at the walk-across border point where shoppers cross over for a few hours to Tijuana from south of San Diego.

The following 100% honest exchange occurred at the entry point after I explained that I left my wallet in the car parked at a U.S. side of the border lot:

What's your citizenship?
U.S.

Where do you live?
Santa Cruz, California

Where were you born?
St. Petersburg.

Okay, go ahead.

I can only imagine that she figured I meant St. Petersburg, Florida, and I felt that clarifying that it was actually St. Petersburg Russia would be counter-productive to getting back to my car and wallet and home.

GWU ESIA STUDENT Apr 2, 2007 11:14 am

Cambodian currency. It is illegal to bring Cambodian currency out from Cambodia but I left with about $.50 worth in my wallet when I left Phonm Phen.

alanwar Apr 2, 2007 12:12 pm

A computer into Canada

dwsnc Apr 2, 2007 12:19 pm

a bottle of absynthe

AS MHT Apr 2, 2007 12:23 pm

Brought a pet hamster home to The US for summer break from Canada when I went to school there.

gingeroo Apr 2, 2007 12:23 pm

I've just smuggled Cuban cigars. My mother, grandmother, and aunt have smuggled all sorts of plants into the US from Poland. I'm actually surprised they've never been caught. My aunt has actually sent us some endangered mushrooms in the mail! Well, she didn't know they were endangered when she picked them - they looked like a common non-endangered kind. Later upon further inspection she realized they were the endangered ones. Since they were already picked, she sent them to us in the US.