Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by MHG
The helicopter service is actually the replacement for the Twin Otter flights to the dangerousVaeroy airport (which still exists derelict to date btw.)
I went to the airport in 2016. It was still in pretty good condition though I see why it's a sketchy place to operate from. There's still some shipping containers there marking where I was told there used to be a chocolate factory.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I remember Groton, CT was pretty small - looks like it doesn't have commercial service anymore. Santa Fe as pictured above. Plattsburgh, NY was small, though there have been a few others of similar size over the years.

Others might or might not fit the definition. Helicopter in Sedona, AZ. Talkeetna, AK to landing on a glacier. Does the Don Sheldon Mountain House count as an airport?

Last edited by CPRich; Oct 19, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
HDS (Hoedspruit in South Africa) - very cool airport, it’s mostly open air! ACK (Nantucket) is a very close second.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Bathurst, NSW when going to the Bathurst 1000 races. I love when they announced boarding it was just someone yelling in to the waiting area and then we all walked about 10 steps out the door on to the tarmac! lol
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:56 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by mhrb
I went to the airport in 2016. It was still in pretty good condition though I see why it's a sketchy place to operate from. There's still some shipping containers there marking where I was told there used to be a chocolate factory.
VRY wa shut down for good due to unpredictable wind conditions which ultimately lead to a crash.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wider%C3%B8e_Flight_839

To give you an idea of the conditions:

Adding to the main topic ...

I´ve flown to a few more other heliports as well.
Those I mentioned are the smallest among them (yes heliports do vary in actual size, "terminal"/landing pad/etc.)
So, in terms of physical size they are for obvious reasons way smaller than even the smallest airports ...
The smallest "fixed wing" airport I´ve flown into to remains Lawas, Malaysia (LWY)
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Last edited by MHG; Oct 20, 2019 at 12:13 am
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
OGS

Last week, I flew an LCC (Allegiant) into Ogdensburg, NY. A fun fact......its listed as an Ottawa (Canada) airport as its only an hour from Canada's capital.
NB UA has closed YOW-ORD and now operates OGS-ORD. Cross-border shopping, eh?
https://ogsair.com/
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:42 pm

I was sent to Kitimat, BC to do a pyro course which involved flying into Terrace and being picked up from there.

Nice airport, VERY laid back security. When returning home I asked the guy if he needed me to take my shoes off before going through the WTMD and he asked if they were steel-toe; when I said they weren't he told me that I could leave them on.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:09 am

The airport of Astypalaia isle in Greece was certainly one of the smallest I have ever flown to. Another really small one is Lemnos airport and it's pretty much one of the ugliest too.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:46 pm

BMG Bloomington, IN (Monroe County Airport). Allegheny and American
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've had a few fun ones recently.

- Morgantown, WV: Currently just Southern Airways Express Cessnas to BWI and PIT. It has a restaurant on sight though!
- Quincy, IL: Currently just Cape Air Cessnas to ORD and STL. It has merely vending machines.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:38 am

North Eleuthera International Airport, Bahamas, Customs and Immigration desks were open air
Old May 3, 2020, 9:45 am

GGT or Exuma International Airport...small waiting area after security ...cramped check-in area...and worst part is they had three flights (two American, one Delta) all leaving around the same time. The waiting area couldn’t accommodate everyone, so you had to stand by the check-in counters until they called you.

It doesn’t sound bad, but bear in mind you’re trying to leave/go home, it’s hot inside and out...check-in room (60x30?) full of sweaty people... workers are yelling across the room...you don’t know where to go or why other travelers are just standing there...
Old May 3, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
VES, Darke County, OH, which covers 42 acres (17 ha), in Versailles, OH, which the locals pronounce like 'ver-SALES', not 'fair-SAI'. That's the Midwest for you.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
VES, Darke County, OH, which covers 42 acres (17 ha), in Versailles, OH, which the locals pronounce like 'ver-SALES', not 'fair-SAI'. That's the Midwest for you.
the original question was “What's the smallest airport with regular, scheduled service you've ever been to?”, so I’d be curious if VES actually qualifies ... that said, I’ll see VES and raise you the grass strip at the Andy Barnhart Memorial Airport (New Carlisle OH, 3OH0) where I went up with a former USAF colleague in his Fairchild 24
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Providencia Island Airport, Caribbean. Tiny open airport with dirt runway and flights only to neighbouring island of San Andres.
Unless things have changed, the runway there is not dirt. It's paved, although not particularly well maintained.

If you look upthread, I posted a few photos of PVA including one out the cockpit window of the Let L-410 "Turbolet" on short final.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.